To rent a car or not in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling with my 11 year old son and will ending our 35 day trip through Europe in Ireland. We'll have about 6 days and I am just not sure if I should stick with public transportation (bus/rail) or should I rent a car? I want to keep it is as stress-less as possible and still see as much of Ireland as possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM

A car is wonderful in Ireland, but it sounds like you are taking public transportation during the rest of your trip . Of course it depends on how COMFORTABLE you are driving on the left side of road, over narrow, often curvy, bumpy roads.
We almost always have a car and do fine, but if you yourself are doing the navigating AND the driving you might find it stressful. Many people take the public transportation and enjoy it and do well. (maybe you and your son could take a 4 or 5 day "whirlwind" tour of Ireland to get a good overview of that beautiful, wonderful country. Just a thought!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM

"as much as Ireland as possible" is not good travel planning nor good enough to determine "stress-less" options. Where and what do you want to see? That's the first question that needs to be answered. Once that is more or less drafted out, THEN the best transport option is established.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I don't think you absolutely need a car unless you want to drive out of the city alot. The public transportation in Dublin is extremely efficient and easy-to-use. Good luck!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM

I continually ask: "when, calendar-wise will you visit Ireland?" Many Turistic BusEireann routes operate infrequently in off-season. I use Public Transport almost exclusively; but that requires a couple of schedules and much planning.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM

The public transportation in Dublin is extremely efficient and easy-to-use....

Oh if only it were true. I invite you to join the massive queue's on the M50 on weekday mornings.!!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM

have you entertained the thought of a Pady Wagon Tour? They have one set up that is a jump on/off type, which would allow you to see quite a bit of the southern end of Ireland, www.paddywagontours.com.

Slam Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Oops, numb fingers!!!!

Should have been "Slan" :biggrin: