Driving in Ireland

Search

Driving in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Ireland

Looking for some help please. We only have a few days to do a tour of soithern Ireland. I know this will be tough but looking for a bit of input please

Leave Belfast by bus arriving at the Dublin Airport for 8:30am. Renting a car and driving down through Graigavine (husbands grandparents from there) driving through and spending the night in Youghal. From there making our way through Cork and arriving in Killarney for the night before doing the Ring if Kerry.
Do the Ring of Kerry and continue driving to Ennis for the night
Then doing Cliffs of Moher and making our way to Galway for the night
Next day spend some time in Galway before heading back to Dublin.

Questions....is this completely nuts? We just have so much to see in short amount of time

Also are there lots of gas stations along the main roads? I woke up in the middle of the night panicking about how often we will find a gas station. Probably a stupid question but just want some reassurance

Thanks you
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are "enough" petrol stations but if you are looking for gas (CH4) in Ireland you need to a garden centre/general store or similar.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 05:41 AM

I wouldn't worry about gas. I consider myself a very good driver, and I found much of Ireland very challenging. You will find many of those roads very narrow (you will worry about your side mirrors getting whacked). You may find that you can't get to where you want to go fast enough.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 08:17 AM

When young (21) my husband walked from Dublin to Westport. The only cars on the road were driven by priests , and the only things to eat were tomatoes, blood pudding, and Guiness. That was in 1962, and things have changed !!

Fairly recently we finally found his grandfather's birthplace which is out in the countryside near Mallow, County Cork. We'd like to visit it, but that would necessitate renting a car. Read someplace that there is an upper age limit to renting a car in Ireland. Does anyone know if this is so and what that limit might be?

@OP - why are you not flying out of Shannon rather than backtracking to Dublin?
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Questions....is this completely nuts?<<

Yes, a bit. When is this trip? Those are some slow roads (like 30-35 mph roads when you are lucky)

For instance your RoK day has about 5 hours of car time plus all the stops around the Ring and elsewhere. Basically you will be in the car all day long.

(you won't find gas stations anywhere it is petrol stations you need - yes they are all over.)