Weather in Spain

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Spain

I will be travelling with my husband to Spain leaving the U.S. September 13th and staying in Madrid for two nights, 5 nights in Malaga, 3 nights in Granada, 3 nights in Seville and back to Madrid for two nights. Would anyone be able to give advice on what kind of clothing to pack for those cities from September 13-29th. Also, is this a rainy season in Spain at this time of year. Will we need jackets for evening?
Thank you very much.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM

The weather will be hot to very hot at that time of year. (In the south the temps in midsummer are routinely 100 degrees - often higher - so Sept is likely to still be in the 90s. (We've been twice in April and it was mid 80-'s/beach weather). You can take a very light jacket (windbreaker if you want - but doubt you will use it.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM

You'll most likely need no jacket neither in Madrid nor in the south, and September is not a rainy season at all in these parts of Spain. Based on the past 14 years statistics for the last two weeks of September, you can expect between low 70's and mid 80's in both Madrid and Málaga and a couple of days with rainfall.

When you already are in Andalucía from the 15th of September for eleven days, you might want to consider a night of pure flamenco poetry in Sevilla on the 19th?

From one of my previous postings:
"On the 19th of September you might be up for a night of pure flamenco poetry in Sevilla. Then the baile (dance) genious Rocío Molina stages her new performance at the grand Teatro de la Maestranza during Spain’s largest and most important flamenco festival. Last year, The New York Times presented Molina as one of the finest dancers in the world. Legendary Russian ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov kneeled in front of her after a performance in New York City Center in February. I saw the upcoming performance twice in Madrid in May, and it left me with no option but to book my tickets for this night as well. Twenty-six year old Molina scatters all conceptions of traditional flamenco by paying tribute and making it new. As Financial Times wrote after her latest performance in New York: “She does to flamenco what Picasso did to the female nude”."

This would be part of the world's greatest and most important flamenco festival, the Bienal de flamenco from 15th of September to the 9th of October.

Info and tickets (you can most likely reserve them through your hotel):
http://www.flamenco-world.com/notici...al22032010.htm
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM

This is not the rainy season, no, but since you'll be in Spain on the first day of autumn you never know if you'll catch a few passing showers.

Granada, at night, can be a bit cool & humid as it's surrounded by low-mountains and hills. But apart from that, you could have very hot weather in Madrid and Seville.

In Málaga you may experience the mildest temperatures as they have a more even climate throughout the year. It can get hot, sure, but the highs are lower and the lows are higher than many many other places in Spain.

Happy Travels!

Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM

Does the rain in Spain really stay mainly on the plains?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Yet another weather question...Do you realise that the weather is totally unpredictable here in Spain? The national weather institute is notoriously wrong even with a 3 day forecast so I personally do not see how someone can predict how it will be if the professionals cannot.
You could look up statistics; but statistics and weather are two very different sciences so they do not mix well.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Obviously you cna;t make specific predictions this far in advance. But to someone from another part of the world - Spain is often much hotter than they would expect based on local temps.

If you go to Stockholm at that time of year you will likely get highs no more than 70 - noting like the heat you will get in Spain. It's better to give people a general perspective than just to say - weather changes and you can't know in advance.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM

nytraveller but it does change. Where I live just a few km down the road it can rain heavily and where I live we have sunshine all day long. So weathre is changeable. This past winter the south of Spian got morre rain then the north, was that forseen by anyone?
But like I said even professionals cannot get it write can they?

If you have a magical way of predicting what the weather is going to be like then please let us know, but please do not censor the truth until then please.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you NYtraveler. Your answer seems the most logical.
Nobody can predict the weather but I have lived in Oklahoma,
Texas, California, Minnesota, Colorado, Maryland, Oregon, and London, England. If someone from Europe were to ask me about the weather in any of those states, I could give them a range to help them travel to any of those states. One does not want to carry a wool coat to Texas in September but you might want a light jacket in Minnesota. I think when people ask this question they are just trying to get a range based on the past few years.
As the airlines are so picky these days about the weight you can carry on, you do not want to carry needless coats, unbrellas, rain boots, snow shoes, etc. if the weather is going to be in the 90's. Nytraveler, it sounds like Spain will be a lot like Texas in September. Warm to hot weather and therefore to take summer clothes rather than fall or winter clothing. That is really all that I wanted to know. We had some friends from South Africa visit us in the winter when we lived in Minnesota. They brought all summer clothes for themselves and their four children. Because it is summer at that time in South Africa, they were packing for the weather they left. They had to do a lot of shopping because it is very cold in Minnesota and they needed coats, gloves and boots.
Thank you all.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM

When I went to Spain last time ('97), I packed as if for tropical vacation because it was early summer and I froze in Madrid in early July because it had a cold spell (50s!!!). So expect hot, prepare for off chance it won't be.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM

Yes - but Madrid is in the center of the country and on a high plateau, which can make the weather cooler. and it has a real winter. the south of Spain doesn;t have a real winter (except in a few high mountains) but is usually in the 50's in midwinter - and in summer is often over 100. Agree that it would be more like the weather in Texas or other parts of the deep south - rather than a more temperate climate.

Sometimes people who have lived in only one climate don't realize that in other places in late Sept the high temps can be in the 60's and it will rain every day. Or that you can even have snow (this has happened to me in Denver.) Or that in December the temp will be below zero (farenheit, not centrigrade) and have snow on the ground from Nov to April.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Kakiebell: For information that general about weather you can learn alot by looking at historical patterns on wunderground.com.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you jubilada, that website was very informative. Looks like September is typically going to be warm to hot but may pack layers for those unexpected cold days. The lowest temperature that showed up was Madrid on the 28th of September at 68 degrees.