Best time of year to visit Spain?

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time of year to visit Spain?

We're planning a 6-week visit to Spain in 2006 and will try to see as much of the country as possible. I'm torn between doing it in spring or in fall. If we leave about 19 April (so as to miss Easter, which is 16 April), we'd go to Sevilla first (probably hitting the April fair--will that really increase hotel rates?), visit Ronda and Granada (plus day trips), and gradually work our way north, arriving in Santiago around mid-May, Santillana/Bilbao/San Sebastian in late May, and finishing in Barcelona. Would it still be rainy in the north at this point? Too hot and humid in Barcelona?

Alternatively, we'd leave about 14 September and reverse the trip, beginning in Barcelona, working our way from San Sebastian to Santiago in the later part of September, and arriving in Sevilla/Granada/Ronda in late October. Would it be rainier in the north if we do it this way, less rainy, or pretty much the same? (I do know weather patterns have been weird lately, and you can't count on the weather at the best of times, but I'm looking for generalities.)

Any advice? If we pick spring, I want to get moving on finalizing plans and making reservations.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Wow--I love your trip. Tough call--I would look at weatherbase.com to see average temps and rainfll. Another factor is hours of daylight and your spring dates would be better for that. Do not miss San Sebastian and Salamanca and tell us about Galacia and Asturias--those are on my list.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Hello:
I went to Spain for the first two weeks of May, two years ago. The weather was fine - no rain. I started in Madrid and moved south. Seville was actually quite hot. I do not know what you can expect in the fall, but the spring was clear, sunny, and dry with cool evenings.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM

We were in Andalucia last fall - late September, early October. The weather was sunny and warm and just about perfect. We had no rain at all. I like your idea to start in the north to take advantage of the warm weather there and get to the south late when it has cooled off. I think Andalucia is mild through October.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM

If you go to Sevilla just after Easter, you will be on your way before the prices go up again for Feria -- it starts two weeks after Easter. "Special Season" prices can be sky-high: we arrived in Seville on the final day of Feria and spent 134E for that night in a hotel that was under 60E for the rest of our stay (it was truly a 60E hotel, at best).

The weather from Apr 10-20 in southern Spain was glorioius this year. I hope you find it so, too.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Bob--thanks for pointing me to the weather website. It looks like there might be a slightly increased chance of rain in the north, but it's close (the chances are fairly high either way). I hadn't thought of the daylight factor, and that might be more important.

I appreciate the warning about the increased prices in Sevilla over Feria--I'm going to have to check out the timing for next year, when Easter is much later than it was this year. I think Feria is always the last week of April--anybody know? It would be fun to see the Feria, but if hotel prices more than double, I don't know that it would be worth it.

Carolyn
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Feria usually begins two weeks after Easter Monday. This year it was April 12-17. However, next year the dates are April 25-30, with only one week between the two "special seasons"; occasionally Feria has been as late as the first week of May. These dates look official:

http://www.andalucia.com/flamenco/
feriasevilla.htm
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kayd! That's a big help. Now I wonder if hotels will lower their prices for the 9 days in between Easter and Feria, or just leave them up. I'll probably have to check with the hotels.