Warsaw

May 1st, 2003, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Warsaw

To Nigel99...how is the location of the Marriott? Can you easily walk to Old Town and most of the sights?
May 1st, 2003, 05:50 AM
Gino

I'm not Nigel99, but the Marriott is not in the best location. It is across the street from the main train station and a very long walk to the Old town. Need bus or taxi.
The Marriott is a very up-scale hotel, but if you are willing to pop for their price, a far better choice would be the Le Royal Meridien Bristol located near Old Town and all the sights. Check out their prices on Orbitz or similar site.

May 1st, 2003, 11:49 AM

Actually I beg to differ. The Marriott is very central, in fact just opposite the Central Train Station and the Palace of Culture. Trams and buses stop outside and of course there are the Marriott's fleet of limos outside. The walk to the Old Town is quite pleasant even if a little long. However it takes you along some good shopping routes. The Marriott is also closer to Lazienki Park than the Bristol assuming you want to see more in Warsaw than just the Old Town. The Marriott and Bristol are similar prices but I would always stay at the Marriott given the choice. Check out hotelspoland.com for comparative prices.
May 1st, 2003, 12:54 PM

Sorry- I am not Nigel so feel free to totally disregard this post! I agree with Gino -the Marriott is a fair distance from the Old Town and I definitely prefer the old world charm of the Bristol. But as you only wanted Nigel's opinion - I apologize for giving my opinion.
May 1st, 2003, 10:35 PM

Try a Polish hotel, The Polonia, a block from the Marriott. Their breakfast is like a pageant.
May 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Forgest the Polonia. It is closed for renovations.
May 10th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Agree with anti-Marriott views. It's a central but horrible area where locals advise you to be more careful (especially at night) than areas such as Sofitel, Sheraton and Bristol. I lived nearby for 3 months, and sorry but the immediate area leaves me totally cold. Half of the walk to the centre is fine and half is yuck - but then lots of Warsaw is pretty ugly. I have never met anyone that puts Warsaw in the top 10 prettiest cities in world, maybe the ugliest (excluding "old" centre).
May 29th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Now I'm concerned about the locale of my hotels in Warsaw! I'm at the Sheraton for part of my stay and the Hyatt for the remainder. How are these for nearness to the sights?? I hear that a new Westin is opening in June-- would that be a better choice? Rates I am getting at all 3 are between (E 90-105), which to me seems reasonable for early July.
May 29th, 2003, 08:26 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, which is across from the main train station. I seem to recall that most of the larger chain hotels were in that area. We were not pleased with the location and would have preferred to be closer to the old town section. I do recall that the Bristol was close to the old town and would have better suited us. However, there were buses that ran frequently to the old town and the hotel was an upscale Holiday Inn and quite comfortable.
May 29th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Sheraton is a nice enough location and the big hotel with the most buzz - the bar is a popular hangout especially with expats, unlike say the Sofitel -totally dead at night. Hyatt is a bit further from centre but also near Laczienki Park. Do not know it as just opened when I was there last and did not check it out. Bristol is definitely a little closer to old centre but also quieter hotel. I would be happy with your choices.

Search this Thread