Visa Help Needed!

Search

Visa Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa Help Needed!

My boyfriend and I are leaving for France and Italy on August 4. He is a citizen of a Caribbean country that requires a visa. We are first going to France so as I understand it he needs to get the Visa for France, not Italy. The French embassy requires you to make an appointment for a visa and it states you cannot get a visa without making an appointment first. He had an appointment today but was missing one document for proof of health care - the document he had wasn't good enough so he has to get another one. But the bigger problem is that there aren't any appointments available between now and August 4. Can anyone help? Are there any other options??!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Can anyone help? Are there any other options??!</i>

&quot;You need to ask the embassy . . . .
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

They are closed for the evening and I'm in a bit of a panic...
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Call first thing in the am and throw yourself on their mercy - that is - if he has the document he needs. If he doesn;t have it - well, you're left it very late. Usually you would go for visas at least 8 weeks or so in advance.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I renewed my French visa for work last fall in Chicago and I remember them letting people that did not have appointments or an &quot;emergency&quot; come in after the 12noon closing time. Because the appointments were in 15 minute increments, my girlfriend blew her appointment time due to parking problems-they made her wait until closing time to renew her visa for work.Good luck-they really have changed their policies and seem more strict than in past years.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM

If you need a Schengen visa then you apply at the embassy of the country where you are staying the most time or at the point of first entry.

Therefore he could apply to the Italian embassy
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM

I believe that AlanRow is incorrect. I'm pretty sure you must have the French-issued visa if you are beginning your trip in France. Which city are you getting the visa in?

There might be someone here who knows the ins and outs of that particular French consulate and whether or not they'd allow an exception.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM

alanRow is correct; the general Schengen regulations are that you need a visa from any of (a) the country you are first entering, or (b) the country in which you will be spending the most time, or (c) should the number of days in each Schengen country be equal, the first country of entry.

At least in the Italian Consulate in New York they are very, very strict on processing (we deal with them often for Russian citizens visiting Italy). The original poster should disclose in what city she resides, as most of the consulates have specific geographic coverage (and, as the Fodor's editor suggests, some people may know certain things about a particular consulate--for instance, two years ago the Italian consulate in New York would not issue more than 30 visas a day during August, causing long lines at 3 AM!).
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Citations from French and Italian Consulates in New York regarding from which Schengen country the visa should be procured:

http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org/...id_article=365

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Con...eca_in_italia/

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so far. He went to the French consultate this morning but they would not let him in. They have all of his paperwork now except for this health insurance paper but they wouldn't even just take the paper. We are in the Washington DC area.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

I can't seem to find any information on the Italian Consultate in Washington website about whether we need an appointment or can just show up M, W, F from 10-12:30. If anyone knows, please let me know. I can't seem to reach a person at the consulate there.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM

In the worst of all possible worlds, your boyfriend could come up to NYC to the consulate here and get back in a long day. It might be easier, but August is a very busy month.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM

&gt;In the worst of all possible worlds, your boyfriend could come up to NYC to the consulate here and get back in a long day. It might be easier, but August is a very busy month.

THAT WON'T WORK AT ALL. The Italian Consulate in New York only accepts applications from residents of certain areas:

&quot;JURISDICTION:

We only accept applications from residents of the States of New York, Connecticut and the following New Jersey Counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, Warren.&quot;

[copied from http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Con...ca_in_italia/]

The French Consulate in New York requires an online appointment; the first available appointment is August 22.

My experience with both Consulates in New York (which is considerable) is that they show no flexibility for anyone, even in hardship cases.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM

I guess that settles it. You're limited to your own consulate there in DC. I hope you can work something out. Having traveled extensively with someone who needed a visa to go most places, I know how frustrating---not to mention expensive---this can be.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
MaureenB

The OPs boyfriend is not a US citizen. The information provided applies to US citizens, and his requirements may be different. You should ask the embassy of Caribbean country of which he is a resident. Maybe they can help? Good thing you're in D.C., where these services are offered for nearly every country. Good luck.
&gt;-

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM

It's been my experience that the Consulates for both countries (at least in New York) will only work with people who are legal residents of the US (the op didn't say if he is a US resident, we all assumed that because the only problem he had was the health care documentation).
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM

message to Marc_David_Miller

in your message you have said that you work with Italian consulate often. I am desparate. I bought a tiket to leave on August 29 and today got an interview appointment for Augist 30!!!!! Had I only knew that they give appointments first I could've applied much earlier. A person in the consulate who scheduled my appointment did not even want to listen to and just gave me a number to call. I spent one hour and a half trying to reach them but nobody picked up the phone. Then I wrote them two emails - still nothing. I planned this trip for two months. It is our long awaited honeymoon. Do you or anybody else have any idea on how to solve this problem