Brazil Visa - Proof of Residency

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil Visa - Proof of Residency

Hi,

I will be visiting Brazil in August, I am working on my Visa application, and I am having difficulty with the proof of residency requirement. The problem is that I have recently moved, and I do not have any proof of residency for my current address. It will take up to 8 weeks to get a Driver's License from my new state, and I do not pay any utilities at my current residence (all are either paid for by my landlord or under my husband's name). Both my old residence and my new residence are under the jurisdiction for the Chicago consulate, so do you think it will matter if the proof of residence I submit and the address on my visa application do not match?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 03:33 PM

I think it will matter having a different address, my understanding is that US citizens are put through more hoops for a Brazilian visa than other nationals. The Brazilian government adopts a very 'tit for tat' attitude--you give our nationals a hard time, we will give your nationals a hard time. So if you think the US government would be bothered by non-matching residential addresses for the purpose of a visa you can be pretty sure the Brazilian government will be.

Is there some kind of account you could open with that address: credit card, bank account? If not, do you have a thing called a statutory declaration? A true statement by you that is signed by a justice of the peace?
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM

Whatever they say you need, you need to have exactly that. I am surprised to hear that an address change on a DL takes so long. Maybe they can expedite it? As for utilities, you can usually just call them and have your name added to the bill so that it shows up. You will need to do this any way so that you can get a library card.

You can always just call the consulate and ask them about this. However, I think that adding your name on the utilities is the easiest way to do this.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 06:29 PM

My input would be to be doubly prepared for your visit to the Brazilian consulate in Chicago. I live in Milwaukee and took an entire day to visit Chicago to obtain a VISA for my husband. We had everything prepared and he even had approval from Pepsico (a letter). I can't even remember what it was, but it was some very basic formality that they wouldn't pass. They made it impossible to call the consulate and ask simple questions. IT is ridiculous and pathetic! He never ended up going. He probably would have gone if he got a Visa right away, but too much time had passed and his engineering consultation services were no longer needed. Beware of Brazil anyway and think twice about going there. There is a lot of crime and it can be very dangerous.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Please don't be put off by the difficulty in obtaining a visa, try to remember you are just getting a very small taste of how Brazilians are often treated.

It's a beautiful country and incredibly culturally rich. I've traveled there on my own and have not had any problems, in fact I've been four times and I can't wait to go back.