Search

Virgin atlantic seat choosing ;p

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin atlantic seat choosing ;p

Hey!
Im trying to pick a seat, and i would like a window seat, but those seatmap sites say that window seats have equip boxes under the seats so footroom is limited, as is storage
What would you reccomend? window, middle section or aisle
thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:36 AM
ira

Hi V,

After many years of sitting by the window looking out at the tops of clouds, or a blank ocean, or into the dark, my Lady Wife and I now take aisle seats so that we can stretch our legs occasionally.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this for a transatlantic flight? If so there isn't much to see most of the way. Plus do you really want to climb over folks every time you want to stretch you legs, go to the lavatory, or get something out of your carry on??

And middle?? (I honestly don't think I've ever heard some ask for a recommendation about sitting in a middle seat). Middle seats are the worst - you have folks crowding you on BOTH sides and also have to climb over people.

IMHO, an aisle seat is the only way to go . . . .
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM

you may want to look at www.seatguru.com if you haven't already. You may get some further recommendations as to which seats are "good' and which are "bad."

Generally those "boxes" under the seats are somewhat narrow and while they do take up some space it may not be significant enough to really matter.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

I read that notice about the boxes and tried to be clever by then booking an aisle seat instead, only then the plane I was on had the boxes under the aisle seats, not the window seats. So you can't win. (and I think that may have been Virgin Atlantic, I can't recall) The boxes won't restrict your footroom that much unless you also have a lot of carryon stuff you plan to put on the seat, in addition. I do prefer ones without them, but have given up on trying to predict which aircraft and model has them where.

It's just personal preference, aisle vs. window, I think -- the middle "section" doesn't matter so much if it's the aisle seat in that section.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM

There's a 3rd party website that has lots of information about VS, including detail seat maps and comments.

www.v-flyer.com

Anyways, I am short and actually like the seats on Continental that has the box underneath. Their box is shaped so that it acts as a footrest.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM

I had the exit row isle seat flying from London to Sydney. While people were standing in line to stretch and use the toilet, I rated them on the pee scale. I did get bumped a lot, but it was better people watching.

Long flights, go for the isle seat. Short flights, go for the window.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Ira; I like looking out when we land thats all
janis:when i say middle, i meant an aisle seat in the "middle section" on a long haul flight
dukey: Yeah i checked seatguru, thats where i got the info bout the boxes. lol
Okay so i think ill go with an aisle..on the 2seater ones or the middlesection?

thanks for that link rkkwan
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

okay, i picked an aisle seat in the "middle section" on the way there and an aisle seat on the 2seater on the way back.
Im a shocking decision maker so im happy its over. lol
thanks guys