center bulkhead, window or aisle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a bulkhead center seat on a long trip from Chicago to Frankfurt. Should I try and change to a window seat (or maybe aisle seat?) Which do you prefer? I love the idea of extra leg-room, but I don't want to end up slumped over on a stranger's shoulder if I (hopefully) fall asleep. I may not even have the opportunity to switch, but just in case. What's your opinion?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I prefer the isle, so I won't disturb anybody if I want to get up and stretch.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM
ira

Hi B,

My Lady wife and I have taken to aisle seats for transatlantic flights.

You can stretch your outside leg.

About halfway, we switch seats and stretch the other leg.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I prefer the aisle so I don't have to climb over someone (or wake them up) to get out. This may not be a problem in the bulkhead seat since you won't have a reclined seat in front of you. I would still prefer not to be in the middle though.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Don't sweat the slumping. If you sleep with your head stabilized with a neck pillow (seats on some carriers have folding head supports), you'll stay centered.

Rejoice in the legroom, and the absence of some guy's dandruff in your chicken cacciatore.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Aisle seat is always my first choice in order to allow for hourly walking and stretching. Try to keep appendages out of the way of rolling carts, however.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Have you checked seatguru to see if the bulkhead actually has more leg room? Not all bulkhead seats do. Also, I was on a flight from LAX-Maui recently (seated in the row behind the bulkhead), and several passengers repeatedly used the center-section bulkhead to cross over from one aisle to the other during the flight. Watching that was enough to remind me to be careful about picking seats there in the future.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:51 AM

My preference is for a window seat so I can lean against the wall to sleep.

just curious--why did you create two identical threads, two minutes apart?
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Some aircraft configurations still retain seat rows just aft of the exit doors. There is another row of seats in front of them, but it's six feet away.

This location offers unlimited leg room, the ability for everyone to get in and out without disturbing others, and no movie screen. Paradise.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:23 AM

If there are the 2-seats-together (ie. seats A,B) we take those. Otherwise, we each get an aisle, across from each other. (ie. C,D)
We once tried to take the 2 ends of a middle-section w/3 seats. An agent told me travelers ticketed together who attempt that risk being moved at boarding to accomodate keeping others together (if the flight is crowded).
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the identical postings -- the first one didn't show up right away so I thought I messed up. Anyways, thanks for the seatguru website. Bad news, I think. I'm on a Boeing 777, and the bulkhead seat they assigned me is behind the bathroom wall, which may actually have less leg room. Has anyone sat in a similar seat? How bad is it? I sort of like the idea of being able to put my feet up on the wall (good for my back.) But not being able to stretch my legs under the seat in front of me may drive me nuts. sigh
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Travelnut, there are many other seats than just the first four on the left. Why will you only sit in seats A, B, C, and D?

Oh. You mean <i>e.g.</i>

Remember, it's <b>eg</b>zample.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM

thanks for today's grammar lesson.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM

robespierre - &quot;i.e.&quot; is commonly used instead of &quot;egzample&quot; as it stands for &quot;in essence&quot;.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM

The Latin is <i>id est</i>, and it means &quot;in other words&quot; or &quot;that is to say&quot; in English.

Travelnut, this is not a question of taste, it's about intelligible writing. If you use <i>i.e.</i> when you mean <i>for example</i>, your reader gets confused as to what your actual meaning is.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM

And by the way, hipvirgochick, the fact that a word or construction is &quot;commonly used&quot; does not make it correct.

I think language should change, but not if the changes interfere with communication.

Yr. most obt. svt.

hipcancerdude
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM

These two abbreviations are rarely interchangeable.

I.e. is the abbreviation for a two-word Latin term, id est. Translated word for word, id est means &quot;that is.&quot;

E.g. is the abbreviation for a two-word Latin term, exempli gratia. Translated quickly and best, it means &quot;for example.&quot; Translated a little longer, it means &quot;for the sake of example,&quot; where gratia means &quot;sake,&quot; and exempli means &quot;example.&quot;

Is everybody satisfies??? LOL.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM

travelnut...

i'm a little confused (nothing to do with your grammar). you say that you always take two seats together if they are available. then you say that you &quot;tried&quot; to take the aisle seats of the inner section in the same row. the airline then told you that people who &quot;attempt that&quot; ....

so were there no seats together or were you doing that in hope that the seat would not be filled (inner section middles are always the last to go) and if it were filled, you would just ask the guy if he wants to change seats with one of you?
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM

No, this way:

A,B---C,D,E---F,G
we'll take A,B (for example)

A,B,C---D,E,F---G,H,I
we'll take C,D (for example)
- if you try to take D,F to leave the middle seat unoccupied, then you might get moved. (according to what that agent said).
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Ok, thanks for the clarification. &quot;in essence&quot; is obviously the slang translation of i.e.

Anyway, I always request the aisle I don't like being sandwiched in. Neck pillows help prevent slumping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -