Vienna and Prague

Search

Vienna and Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna and Prague

I have 5 days to spend and allocate between Vienna and Prague. I wanted to know what your recommendations would be on splitting time between the two cities. Is it better to do 3 days in Vienna and 2 days in Prague, or 3 days in Prague and 2 days in Vienna.

We are hiring private travel to take us from Vienna to Prague so will try to head out in the morning (perhaps 9:30am to 1:30pm) so 4 hours will be lost in travel time between the two.

Right now I have it set to 3 days in Prague because one of the days we are planning on doing a day trip to the Terezin concentration camp.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:05 AM

if you would take a evening train from Vienna to Prague, you wouldn't waste any time:
Vienna dp 17.09 - Prague ar 21.08
Vienna dp 18.09 - Prague ar 22.08
Vienna dp 19.09 - Prague ar 23.08

You can spend much more than 3 days for decent visits of both cities, all depends on the things you want to see.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 04:01 AM

The train between Vienna and Prague costs you some EUR 24 when booked a couple of weeks ahead with the Austrian railways (https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket)
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 04:59 AM

There is no right answer, it would depend on the sites you mainly want to see in each city. If you don't have much you are that especially interested to see in Vienna, 2 days would be fine. If you have many things, not so much. But since you plan to do a daytrip to Terezin, that is one day right there so I would think your split is good as that is really only 2 days in each city itself.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much you guys!
I'll look into the rail tickets because 24 euros is not bad at all
And thanks I never thought about taking evening train there. Smart idea
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 10:49 AM

Hi
I used the student agency bus between Vienna and Prague and it costs 15 Euro generally. The bus is very convenient and comfortable. If you have traveled in a overnight Volvo bus in India, Student Agency is one notch higher than that.
I recently spent 5 days between Vienna and Prague and here is how I did it, you can take suggestions as necessary.

Day 1 : Arrived in Vienna about 1 pm, by the time I found my room, freshened up it was about 4 pm. I came to Schwedenplatz and then did a walking tour of the ringstrasse about 2-3 hrs. I came back to Schwedenplatz and then spent the rest of the evening in the city center near the church, just randomly walking around
Day 2 : Started early and reached Schonbrunn palace, there were hardly any people, but looking at the arrangements at the ticket desk I realized the queue can get really really long. After the schonbrunn palace I went back to city center, the Stephansplatz station which is just below the church. I then did the Sisi palace / museum . From here I went to a guided tour of the Austrian parliament . It was about 4:30 pm by then, did some more walking in the city center and then moved to Hundertwasser house where I spent about 30 mins.
I then walked from there to Prater and did the Prater wheel which gives a birds eye view of Vienna. That ended my day in Vienna.
I had only 2 days including travel and thats the best I could do.

Day 3 : Early morning bus to Prague, arrived in Prague by 1 pm and was out for site seeing by 3 pm. I directly went to the charles bridge, spent some quality time there and returned to the old city center. I spent about 2 hrs there and then walked towards my apartment using GPS, some how landed in Wencelas square where I found a good Indian restaurant for dinner and then walked back to the apmnt, it was 11:30 pm by then
Day 4 : Did a day trip to Cesky Krumlow, took the 7 am bus and was back in Prague by 8 pm. Spent some more time in the old city square.
Day 5 : Spent 3/4 of the day in Prague castle, was tired so went back to the apmmnt and rested for 2 hrs. Again came back to old city center, charles bridge, dancing house for some night photography.
Day 6 : I assume you dont have this day. Visited the TV tower and petrina tower for a birds eye view of Prague. Spent 1 hour in the prague castle garden and then return back to apmnt, had a early evening train to catch back.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

VIDHAMAA3 thanks so much for the itinerary!
Was the bus service you used have timings that can leave late?
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 06:56 PM

bookmarking for a few days in Prague next year!