Search

Very Budget Lodging in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Budget Lodging in Rome

Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving for Italy in about a week and I want to book a room for Rome before I leave. I was hoping someone could suggest a budget B&B, hostel, apartment, convent, hotel (anything really!)

I'm looking to spend less than 50 euros per night, but I will spend more if necessary. The one place I am considering right now is the "Domus Aurelia" (http://www.domusaurelia.com/)

A little about me-- I'm a 23 year old female traveling solo for the first time. I'm looking for a place with a little bit of character, but one definite "must-have" is a place located in a good area where I will feel comfortable exiting and entering, even in the evening.

I'd love any suggestions you can give me.

Thank you!

Rachel
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM

I've posted before I was happy with the single, economical rooms at Hotel Julia, which cost 50 Euros during the time of my visit. The location felt very safe and is very convenient. Write to them (quickly!) and see if they have anything:
http://www.hoteljulia.it

I'm sure you realize that your last-minute search makes things more difficult. Convents tend to fill up quickly, but with last-minute cancellations and an early Dec. arrival date - who knows. Take a look at the ones that have been discussed on this forum - Casa Rosario and Santa Giuliana are two that would be good.

The Domus Aurelia hotel is really close to the bus stop, but the area is not one I would seek out, because it's not convenient. I can't say how it is at night (although if it's 30 meters from the bus stop, and you take the bus, you should be fine).
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM

There is a accomodation run by the catholic church. Located near the Piazza Navona. Name is
Instituto Santa Giulianna Falconieri
Via Calasanzio, 1
Rome 00186
Tel (06) 688 03344
[email protected]

It probably won't be 50Euro per night but it will be clean and safe and is extremely well located. They do have a curfew and baths down the hall but OTOH they have an elevator.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Unless Santa Giuliana has raised their prices, it is 45 Euro for a single with shared bath. You can't beat the location, and it has an elevator. Highly recommended.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM

If you are looking for very budget lodgings, there are a number of hostles. I booked one a few years ago for 20E a night. They made a mistake and booked me into a hostel that had been closed so they gave me a B&B room for the same price. It was in the Termini area, which some people don't like but I thought was fine. It was called the Christina House. I think if you do a search it will bring up that one and the hostels they own also.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Loved Santa Giuliana Falconieri for its location and its hospitality, particularly the welcoming Sister Kathryn. Ask for a room on the top floor to lessen the traffic noise. Our group felt very safe there.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM

You might also try "Hotel des Artistes", which has a hostel attached to the hotel part. It is pretty "funky"! (well, this was two years ago- check out their Website)and definitely had character. There was a subway stop just around the corner and it was about a ten minute walk from the train station. We used the nearby laundromat which had an Internet cafe, too. There were some fast-food type of restaurants and other hotels and apartments- definitely not scenic or charming as far as the neighborhood. There were lots of young women your age staying there when we were there- when we got back and passed the front desk late at night there were always people checking in-but it was summer. Have a fabulous trip!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM

You should all note that RachelMay has gone and returned from her trip months ago.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM

RachelMay posted Nov 29th and was leaving for Rome in a week so her trip is long finished. It would be nice if posters reported back about their experience(s).