Search

Versailles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles?

I'm planning a trip to Paris roughly 20 months away...my friend and I are looking to stay in the city for 4 nights and one of the days we're there, we'd like to take a side trip to Versailles. What is the best way to arange a day trip out there? How far exactly is it from the city? Should we make some arrangements to go in a tour group? I dread appearing tourist-y but I think taking a tour bus with a group would be the most ecomnomical, most simple way of getting to where I want to go. Any tips would be SERIOUSLY apprectiated!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM

If you buy a Paris museum pass (can be gotten online or at the Louvre itself downstairs) and they come for one day, 2 , or four days, you can enter Versailles with the pass without paying more and without standing online as you can for most of the other museums in Paris with that pass. Versailles is about a half hour by train from Paris proper - you buy a ticket at the station and go. Much less expensive than a bus or tour guide. when you get there, they have earphones that lead you through the rooms and give you info, for a small rental price.

I forget what day they are not open, or what day the famous musical fountains dont go off - but you should be able to look that up online.

I was very proud of myself when I navigated the train to and from Versailles all by myself. You will find many French people who speak English and if you ask will help you. One thing - you want to be careful of the famous pickpockets on the station platforms and in the trains. no wallets in your side or back pockets - or in an easily opened handbag. Best to wear one of those body or belt safes.

hope all this helps.

M.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Getting to Versailles from Paris is as easy as - maybe even easier than - getting to the Bronx Zoo from Manhattan. You simply take the RER and walk several blocks from the station to the chateau.
If you have not yet learned this in your planning, rail transit is provided by the metro within the city, the RER has stations within the city and out into the regional suburbs, and the national rail system SNCF covers the whole country. For Versailles, you would take the RER. If you are not buying a museum pass you can purchase a <<forfait loisir>> that includes RT transport on the RER and admission without waiting in ticket purchase lines, plus throws in rental of the nicely done audioguide headset. You buy these at one of the Transilien kiosks at train stations in Paris - see http://tinyurl.com/y84c3o

And with all due respect to Mahya2, don't freak out over the pickpocket thing, which certainly happens but is far worse in other cities than in Paris - just use common sense and keep our valuables safely close to you at all times.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>I dread appearing tourist-y but I think taking a tour bus with a group would be the most ecomnomical, . . . .</i>&quot;

Tour are &quot;easy&quot; but they certainly aren't economical. You can do Versailles much cheaper on your own and just about as easily.

But - w/ only 4 days in Paris (unless you've been there before, which I assume is not the case) - you may decide to skip Versailles altogether. Four days is <u>nothing</u> for a first trip to Paris.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:22 AM
ira

Hi ak,

&gt;my friend and I are looking to stay in the city for 4 nights and one of the days we're there, we'd like to take a side trip to Versailles. &lt;

Four days is a very short visit to Paris.

I would stay in this city this time, and save Versailles and other daytrips for your next visit.

You will go back.

However, if you go to www.ratp.fr and enter your Paris address and &quot;Chateau Versailles&quot; you will get directions.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM

I've been to Versailles in a tour, and on my own. I would actually recommend a tour. The reason is - it's probably the only time you'll go there, and I always like to learn as much as possible. The tour we took was great, and we learned all the little things that you just don't hear about when you try to do it yourself. I wouldn't worry about appearing touristy - you are a tourist. BE PROUD
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

To all of those who've suggested a longer stay, thanks very much for the helpful adivce. As much as I'd like to stay longer, we're on a funky timetable because of two specific dates that are already set in stone so we figured some time is better than none. Thanks again for all of the help. Seamus in particular for all the rail info!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ak903: Our point wasn't that you need to stay longer (though it would be great if you could) - but that w/ only 4 days it would be a shame to spend most of a day going to Versailles.

Spend the 4 days IN Paris. It isn't a city you can rush through lickety split.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM

ak903, going to Paris and visiting Versailles is like going to New York City and leaving Manhattan for anything. Or at least to some of the posters here. Why would you want to leave Paris, you could sit in a cafe and watch other tourists walk by, or sit in a park and watch other tourists (with a few Parisians mixed in for fun)!

Sorry for the sarcasm. If you really want to see Versailles, and since it is only a 30 minute train ride from Paris, then by all means do so. The audioguide is good, but not as detailed as a tour. You can check out www.chateauversailles.fr (the page has its own translator in the upper right, click English) to find out what is open, and they also discuss guided tours there.

We made the trip our first time to Paris, left early in the morning and arrived as the gates opened. Toured the facility ourselves, without audioguides or guides, and were back in Paris in time (2:00p.m. I believe) to take in a museum. I too went to Paris to see the sights and was very pleased that I saw all that I did. Our second trip has twice false-started due to family issues, but we will be heading back, hopefully in 2009. When we go back, my wife has already said that she wants to go back to Versailles again.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I think it depends on how thoroughly you want to see Versaille. You can probably get there at opening time and tour the Chateau, however the gardens are fabulous and deserve at least as much time as the interior. I'd skip it and spend all of my time in Paris for such a short trip. However, if you have your hearts set on it then it is easy.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I was a nervous solo traveler and can reassure you! I only had several days but with careful planning and clustering of must- see sites the metro system makes it all possible!

I went to the Cluny Museum as soon as it opened (way up high on my lifelong dream list to see the &quot;Lady&quot; tapestries) and two hours was more than ample, even for me (plus the gift shop!).

The train you'll need is just right there- if not, you can make the transfer, all underground, just as easily as any transfer. It took about 1/2 an hour. Then just follow all the rest of the tourists!

The gardens were more important to me than the chateau itself, but still, even with several hours devoted to wandering all the way down I was back at my hotel in the city by about 7:30 that night. It was a wonderful break from the city-maybe go after you have had a full day to get used to the metro system.

Lastly, there were golf cart things for rent for the gardens- so many folks zipping around in those. That might save you some time...
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Versailles is about 30 minutes outside center of Paris and is very easily reached by trains that run very often. There's no reason at all to take a tour.