Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much is an RER trip from central paris to Versailles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to figure out whether or not I should buy a 5 zone Carte Orange or a 2 zone Carte Orange. I just need to know how much round trip RER tickets to Versailles and Disneyland Paris will be.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Assuming you are staying only a week or so in Paris, I would buy the weekly Zone 1-5 Carte Orange. If you are staying more than two weeks and will be buying the monthly pass, unless you are planning on making several trips to Versaille and EuroDisney, I would counsel you to buy the Zone 1-2 carte (all of Paris' tourist sites are accessible in Zone 1) and buy individual tickets for your side trips. Cost each way to Disney is 6.35 euros, Versailles is 2.35 euros on the RER (easiest way to go). Check out the RATP (French metro) website (although it is in French, just look for the link to "Tous les tarifs" and you can follow it even if you don't read French) at www.ratp.fr.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:39 AM

From center city Paris to Versailles is only 5 euros round trip. Unless you are going to make daily trips out of the greater Paris limits (zone 1-2) buying a 1-5 zone pass is expensive and not necessary.

Larry J
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Round trip price from Paris to Versailles is a little less than 5 EUR. You can buy 10 tickets for a Versailles <> Paris (in either direction) for 20 EUR. One way to get to Versailles that NO tourist knows is via the Gare Montparnasse, but it's very complicated. If you really want to know how to get to Versailles in 15 minutes, ask me.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:26 AM

http://www.transilien.com/_8D49079D/...IS1GB|DETAIL|0

You can go from Gare Montparnasse to Gare Versailles Chantiers in 19 minutes...how far is that from le Chateau? Mappy says it is 1.2 km, and 18 minutes of walking (+19 min on train = 37 minutes)...not that much of a time-savings over the traditional path...

Do you have a shorter/faster route than that one..?
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:35 AM

The train from Montparnasse to V-Chantier is quite a time saver if you're starting from the Montparnasse area, but not if you need to connect from somewhere else.

The "additional" walk time from V-C to the chateau, compared to the walk from V-RG RER to the chateau, is under 15 minutes; less if you walk fast. Or there's a local bus to the Hotel de Ville.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I lived at Saint Germain des Prés so it was most convenient for me to get on the fast train from the Gare Montparnasse. The walk from Versailles Chantiers isn't that long; about 10 to 15 minutes (if you're fast walking then you can walk it in 8 minutes). There are numerous buses that go from the Gare to the Rive Gauche station or the Hotel de Ville of Versailles.

Travelnut, there is also a train from Montparnasse to Versailles Chantiers that takes 12 minutes (its a mainliine train, but one is allowed to use the normal Transilien ticket ONLY if they get off at a destination within the Ile de France region -- the ticket only works in 2nd class). The other local trains take about 20 to 25 minutes.

If anyone wants the schedule just post a note stating that you want it (on this forum), and I will make a webpage with it.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM

The 5-zone Carte Orange costs €14.80 more than a 2-zone.

The trips to Disneyland and Versailles will pay the difference, and you can go back and forth to CDG for what amounts to no cost at all!