Original Poster

Venice where did you stay?

I posted this about Rome also but wanted a separate post about Venice

If anyone is willing to, would you post where you stayed in Venice
what year you where there
how you liked it / would you stay there again
Did it have air conditioning, we are going in the summer months
What area was it in

Trying to get a list together to go through and narrow it down to 5 to choose from

I know that most times I should post my budget, requirements etc. but I am trying to do this differently and see what people thought of where they stayed

In 2001 we stayed at the pensioneaccademia.it and enjoy it but wanted to get other options before we make a final decision

Here is hoping that many will particpate
Thanks

Apr 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM

I stayed at the Ca'Pisani in the Dorsoduro, which is in a renovated palazzo but is thoroughly modern Italian "design" hotel with high-tech amenities and modernist era decor. It was ususual, deeply restful and had a great jacuzzi. The location, behind the Accademia musuem, is fantastic.
Apr 8th, 2006, 08:04 AM
jgg

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo (www.locandaorseolo) last March. It is located off Piazza San Marco in a quiet little courtyard. I believe they have air conditioning. All the rooms have recently been renovated with beautiful Venetian glass and wonderful paintings. The best part of Orseolo are the owners. Matteo, Barbara, Bruno et. al. really make you feel like family. Matteo's made to order omelettes and crepes are the best breakfast I have had in Europe. Would I stay there again?? Absolutely!! In fact, if I was going to Venice and other places I would plan my trip around making sure when Orseolo had dates available. Our stay here was the highlight of our two weeks in Italy.
Apr 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I've stayed at the Flora several times and the Lisbona once. Both are in the San Marco area, both are well run, attractive, and offer great service.
The Flora has a lovely little garden and lovely rooms, altho' they vary in size and decor. The Lisbona is a little simpler but still very nice and it's right on a canal.
Apr 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
esm

Pension Accademia (villa maravege) in Dorosuduro. Loved the location and great staff. It has AC.
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Pensione La Calcina, have stayed there twice. It's a lovely 3-star on the Dosoduro. It is extremely popular (deservedly so) contact them asap if you are interested. www.lacalcina.com
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Locanda Ca'Le Vele, an ancient palazzo in Cannaregio 5 steps from Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop. Only a few rooms (6 or 8, don't remember exactly), all with A/C. We stayed there in Sept 2004. Would definitely stay there again.
www.locandalevele.com
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM

2002/early June - Hotel Riva - near San Marco. Inexpensive, comfortable, charming, rolls/coffee provided in the morning

2003/late May - Al Campaniel - located a few meters from Campo San Toma', near Campo dei Frari in San Polo area - www.alcampaniel.com/
Inexpensive, air-conditioned, beautiful, no breakfast, very nice proprietor (Marco).

Would stay in both again, depending on what area of the city I wanted to be in.
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM

My husband and I along with our teeenage daughter stayed at the Locanda La Corte, Junior suite one double and one single in a separate room , canal view , continental breakfast ,10% discount for cash , private bath satellite TV air conditioning, telephone, mini bar, non smoking,
It was FANTASTIC quiet great breakfast and our windows opened on to the canal where we could watch the gonodolas. Great for our daughter because she had her own space. The place was huge.
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Late Sept 2003: Hotel Galleria on the
Canal, in Dorsoduro. 2*, wonderful location, quirky with shabby-chic Venetian style decorations, no a/c, about E 95 for a double room with bathroom in the hall. Would most definitely stay there again, but with an en suite.

Early Oct 2004: Hotel a La Salute, Dorsoduro again (my favourite sestiere), good location, side canal view possible (we didn't have one, unfortunately), E 140 for a large'ish, boring twin with absolutely no wall decoration of any kind except for smudged fingerprints, I would guess no a/c, not awful but I definitely will not stay there again.
Apr 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Have stayed in Venice 3 times.

First - about 10 yeas ago at the Luna - now Baglioni Luna. Great location near San Marco - but the AC was very eccentric and though the rooms were large they were tired. Understand it has been renovated since then.

Four years ago did a special vacation at the Danieli. We loved it - and will use it again whenever we go to Venice. Great location (we had a suite facing the front) as long as you're not bothered by normal city noises - fantastic service and decor completely over the top Venetian.

Two years ago did a meeting and stayed at the Westin Excelsior on the Lido. Also a beautiful hotel with incrdible service (they gave us a private launch to get and forth to San Marco) huge rooms with a vaguely oriental decor. But - being on the Lido is a real pain - esp if there's a convention on - and this was a big one. Would never stay on the Lido unless the only other choice was Mestre.
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Regina Europa. Excellent. Expensive.
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I have stayed in both Pensione Accademia and Locanda Orseolo,because of the favorable reviews of each here and on Tripadvisor.

I enjoyed both,but feel the level of service and overall experience at Locanda Orseolo was significantly superior.They both are well located.
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I've stayed at so many different places that I hardly recall all of them.
Several times at the Locanda Fiorita, years ago, when it was still a family-run business - very basic, but nice, good location in the S. Stefano neighbourhood. Only once later, when it was already run by a company - and accordingly impersonal, but renovated, more pricey than it used to be, but still not heavily expensive.
Of all the other hotels (and there were quite a few), I recall but one, the last one: Pensione Messner near S. Maria della Salute, good price, and decent quality, but not as charming as Locanda Fiorita.
From then on (already many years ago!), I've always rented apartments - besides being much more comfortable, boasting better value for my money, and giving you more insight into any city and her true (as opposed to touristy) life, apartment rentals are the perfect solution especially for Venice, 1st because almost all hotels there (except for a few incredibly expensive venues) are famous for their tiny rooms (often also shabby and overpriced, to make things worse) - even a small apartment would offer much more space; and 2nd because Venice wouldn't quite be Venice for me if I couldn't make use of her gorgeous markets - meaning that I absolutely want to prepare some meals "at home", and thus, I need a kitchen!
Of the many apartments that I've been renting since, my favourite as far as value-for-money is the Rosa di Venezia apartment (as everyone regularly reading my posts will certainly know): www.rosadivenezia.com. It's small, but still much larger than each and every hotel room; it's beautifully furnished and decorated; it has the well-equipped kitchen I need; it's air-conditioned; it has a tiny balcony above a canal, and a stunning view from that balcony and each window, and it's tremendous fun sitting on the balcony and watching the gondolas gliding by, I could do that for hours (and I've quite often done it for hours, in fact).
Other apartments I've been renting include this stylish modern one on the Zattere: http://www.vaporettovenice.com/d66.htm, well-equipped, too (and air-conditioned, yes, as far as I recall). However, the price was unreasonably high; I don't know which time of the year you'd pay those 99 Euros per night they're referring to on their website ("from 99 Euros"), but I've paid much, much more.
Over the years, I've rented three different apartments at the same Palazzo on Canal Grande - one of them not worth thinking about, awfully furnished, and the price by no means as cheap as the overall impression; a second, wonderful, on the ground floor, slightly BELOW the level of the water on Canal Grande, the windows looking directly onto the waves (perfectly dry, nonetheless, do I need to stress that?). A great experience, but very pricey. The third apartment at that Palazzo was certainly the best accomodation I've ever had in Venice: each and every piece of furniture was antique, even the (antique) double bed's day blanket was from the 18th century. Just incredibly beautiful, tasteful, an out-of-the-world place, but as you might guess, the price was more than prohibitive. I've done that once in my life, and don't regret it at all, but wouldn't repeat it.
Then, I had an apartment near S. Maria del Giglio, which was also very nice, with a canal view, and some antique pieces of furniture, too, the kitchen not too well-equipped, however.
The last three apartments I've mentioned could not and cannot be booked by internet. I happened to know the former agent who administered renting them out, but in the meantime, he's no more living in Venice, and I don't know who takes care of them now.
There were more apartments and bed-and-breakfast rooms that I've rented, but I don't want to bore all of you... hope that's sufficient for the moment!
Apr 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM

I forgot to add that the vaporettovenice.com Zattere apartment had the best welcome service I've ever encountered, including a food-and-drink basket and a long-term vaporetto pass (but of course, you had to pay for all that).
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Uma

Hi. We were in Venice fall of 2005, and
stayed at Hotel Londra Palace on the Riva degli Schiavoni. Junior suite with small balcony facing the lagoon and San Giorgio Maggiore beyond. Close to San Marco Square and a couple of vaporetto stops. Lovely room and bathroom; great service. Has air conditioning. Very quiet, despite being in a high traffic area. Nice, ample buffet breakfast. Good restaurant. Not cheap, but would definitely stay there again.
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information it is very helpful
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:57 AM

One more thing that I forgot to mention (guess my post was already long enough, and I didn't want to make it even longer) is the location of the Rosa di Venezia - which is simply unbeatable: one or two minutes WALKING from St Mark's, and it's located on the very same canal as the Bridge of Sighs... don't think there is any comparably located accomodation for a similar price in Venice!
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM

La Calcina 5 years ago and again next week.

Outside floating dock a perfect place for breakfast or an afternoon drink.

Donna
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Another vote for La Calcina. Spent my birthday there last year. Lovely and very reasonable.