Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Casa Rezzonica or Palazzo Duodo in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between these two hotels-Casa Rezzonica in Dousoduoro and Palazza Duodo in San Marco. The prices are 140 and 150 Euros respectively. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is one neighborhood better than another?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Palazzo Duodo seems to be very close to the "main drag" that connects Rialto and San Marco (although it is on a "ramo" off Calle dei Fabbri); you might find it very crowded and possibly noisy.

Personally, I'm a great fan of Dorsoduro; you can cross to the San Marco side of the Grand Canal for 0.40 Euro on a traghetto and avoid that horribly crowded "main drag."
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Hi,

I stayed at Casa Rezzonico a little over a year ago and couldn't have been happier. The rooms are spacious, quiet, sparkling clean, and the service is fantastic. Matteo really goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable and ensure that you enjoy your time in Venice. There are only 7 rooms so we got to know our "neighbors" over breakfast in the garden. It's on a very quiet street, but just a two minute walk from the upbeat Campo Santa Margherita. We had two windows that opened up onto the canal. Pro/con: the church bells woke us up at 7 each morning.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM

swalter: I stayed at Casa Rezzonica last month. We had a room overlooking the garden which is large & lovely with tables for enjoying breakfast. The room (first floor) was large with a comfortable bed, quiet, very clean and the bathrooms are new. The staff is very helpful.

We loved the location. There is a vaporetto stop just a block or so away and yummy gelato just around the corner. (Cross over the canal, go straight and turn left at the first square. It's on the left.) We could walk to San Marco in about 15 minutes.

Ca Rezzonica (a museum of 18th C. Venice) is next to the vaporetto stop and was lovely. The top floor has an interesting collection of paintings. It was the collection of a painting restorer and is quite amazing.

I love Venice!! The Dorsoduro area was very nice. I would stay there again.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Just read Jocelyn's reply. FYI our room was on the garden side as I mentioned and we never heard the bells.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I think I'll got with Casa Rezzonico (and sorry for killing the spelling of Dosoduro!) Sounds I request a garden side room?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM

swalter: I would go with the garden side. The canal is very small and for me the view would not be worth the bells at 7:00AM Our room was next to the breakfast room but I never heard any noise. The door to the room is double (one over the other) and I'm sure that helps with the noise. The windows have shutters that can be closed to block out light or noise.

When are you going? Please let us know how you liked it and have a wonderful time!!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Gomiki, We are going October 14-21. This is the first time we are staying at one place the entire trip although we are planning a few day trips. Feel free to give me any Venice tips you may have!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM

swalter: You have lots of time to plan!! I did a trip report and there is a lot of great info about Venice here and other recent reports. I would say eat gelato, drink prosecco and just wander around a lot. The city is so unique and there is a photo op around every corner.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Swalter: If you're going for a whole week, have you thought of renting an apartment? I'm sure you can find wonderful ones for what you will be paying at the hotel.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, I looked into that option and the apartments were totaling about 250E more for the week than the hotel, not including breakfast that we would also have to pay for. It definately would make sense if there were more than 2 of us going though. Gomiki, I can't wait to get there-I can taste the gelato already! (And boy do I wish I had some right now!)
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'd definately stay at Casa Rezzonico rather than around San Marco- it's a much nicer & quieter area.
I agree with Eloise about considering an apartment - much more room - and you should have no problems finding one for between 600-800e per week.