Venice Hotel Help Needed

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:12 AM
sylvia

Venice Hotel Help Needed

i need some advice on hotels in venice. my husband and i will be there for 3 nights in the beginning of june. our top priorities are: convenient location to san marco, clean & luxurious room, not stuffy or overly ornate.

i've narrowed it down to the follow list:
Danielli-is it worth it? have read conflicting reviews
Europa & Regina-nice looking rooms on website...are they like that in realty?
Londra Palace-anyone stayed here before?
Luna Baglioni
Gritti

please help us as time is running out. also has anyone stayed at Ca'Pisani in Dorsoduro? thanks so much!

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:14 AM
varsha

Hi Sylvia,

We have jsut returned from a 3 day holiday in Venice. Stayed at the Ca'Pisani Hotel and loved it. It's a fairly new hotel, the rooms are very modern and nice; the bathrooms even have a jacussi! Their restaurant 'La Rivista' serves some super food. Also, it is not very far from Piazza San Marco - about a 20 minute walk or 5 mins by the vaporetto (water bus). If you need any more help let me know. the email address for the hotel is :

[email protected]

varsha

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
jenna

I stayed at the Luna Baglioni for a few nights. Very nice and upscale. Right next to Harry's Bar and all the designer shops. Quiet area very near the waterfront. Food was expensive in this hotel but not as expensive as Europa and Regina.

On the same trip I also stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo which is a Best Western. I had to leave Venice for a business trip and then I returned. Montecarlo is a 2 or 3 star further in on San Marco. It was a fraction of the price of the Luna Baglioni. It was fine also except they had central heat and it was chilly at night. My point is, once I got there I realized that the extra money for the Luna Baglioni was not really well spent. At least for me. The rooms were the same size and offered the same stuff except the Luna Baglioni may have had other ammenities I never used.

I think pretty much every where in Venice is somewhat stuffy and ornate. That is their style. Venetians tend to be pretty formal, but friendy nonetheless. I loved Venice and would stay almost anywhere there, just to be there again.

When you arrive in San Marco, you will see the Danielli, Europa and Regina and Londra Palace as soon as you arrive. Part of their cost is their waterfront location. Unless you are going to spend alot of time on the terrace looking at the water, it may not be worth it. There are plenty of good places to sit around the square and on the waterfront for free.

Hope this helps. I didn't go inside the other hotels, I only looked at their menus when looking for somewhere to dine.

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:13 PM
elaine

sylvia
friends of mine stayed at the Ca' Pisanin this past Feb. They go to Venice every year and every other time they stayed at the Europa Regina which they loved. However, now they have been converted to the Pisani and will stay there again. For one thing, about half the price of the E-R. But they raved about the art deco-modern decor
(nothing stuffy!) and the excellent service. They had a junior suite with two full bathrooms, one bedroom. I saw a picture--gorgeous! about a 15-minute walk to San Marco.
Less expensive than that, and closer to San Marco, is the Colombina.
I haven't stayed there but I was curious about the Colombina which has only been open for two years, so I went to look at it last fall. Location is behind P. San Marco, a 7-10 minute walk from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop. Walking there the first time might be a little confusing, but after that it's easy. Since it's new, everything about it was fresh and attractive. I saw a large double that could accommodate a third person in a nice built-in daybed, and I also saw a standard double. Rooms were medium-sized based on my European experiences. I would not call them small, but not huge. Bathrooms also medium-sized, completely modern. Room décor traditional, but light, airy, and charming. Very quiet location, especially the rooms that face the courtyard. Attractive breakfast room. There's also a bar on the main floor.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM
pauli

We just returned from a two week trip to Italy. We stayed at the E-R in Venice and it was heaven. I haven't see the website but the room and bathroom were wonderful. This is a Westin property so if you have Starwood points you might be able to use them.

We were booked at another hotel and were dismayed upon our arrival to see that the room was so small that they had 2 miniature chairs at the foot of the bed (I'm not kidding). The bathroom was so tiny that the toilet was jammed against the wall in a way one could not sit straight on it and the "shower" was half the bathroom curtained off. This may work for some people but not for us. We asked to change rooms and were told it was not possible except maybe the next day, but not for sure. We walked down the street to the E-R, they had a room facing the Grand Canal available and we took it even though it was about twice the cost.

The concierges at the E-R were extremely service oriented and helpful. Besides the price of the room, the only drawback was breakfast was really pricy. You might be able to get a package including it though.

Good luck!

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
cjswanson

Just got back from Venice. Loved the huge room and modern bath at the Metropole-one upgrade. Great location next to bus drop off...two blocks from the square.

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:08 PM
carol

we stayed at the europa-regina 2 yrs ago and wish we were back there right now. we sent some friends there last year and they raved about it too. this hotel will meet all your expectations and exceed most. have a great time

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:31 PM
sylvia

hi varsha,

do you think its really important to have a view of the lagoon...ie staying at one of those establishment hotels? it's my husband's first time in venice and the last time i was there it was just for the day and i was on a student budget.

we don't mind paying the big $$ for those high end san marco hotels if it's really worth it but at the same time i really like the look of Ca'Pisani.

i feel so wishy washy about this. i just don't want to book the wrong place.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:15 AM
elaine

sylvia,
I've felt the hesitations you're feeling, but all of the hotels discussed here are among the best.
I doubt that you'll have a disappointing experience. The Ca'Pisani is a little farther away from San Marco. For some people that's an advantage, for others, a disadvantage.
As to whether or not a view is "worth it" that's an individual decision.
I've had fabulous times in Venice without having views from my hotel room, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to have a view, but all other things would have to line up as well (amenities, location, size of room, service in the hotel, and cost).
Even though you've been to Venice, my file on it might be useful; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Tom Ginivan

Fun you should ask. My wife and I are going to Venice for the first time and reserved the Hotel Panorama on the Lido through Expedia. We'll be there 17-26 June. I came here to see if anyone had any information on this hotel. It looks good in Expedia and its own website. (hpanorama.com), but of course, advertizing can be tricky. So if anyone can help, I'll really appreciate it. Good luck with your trip, and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Tom

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Bobbi

THANKS

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Robert

I posted on this same topic on another question.I have never felt it was necessary to spend so much for a hotel.My current budget for my next trip is $100/night for hotel average,rural areas spend less,venice
more,Total budget including airfare will be about $400/day for two.For venice
www.hotelgalleria.it

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Surlok

Sylvia,

I've stayed in both hotels, the Europa ( twice) and the Ca Pisani. They are both wonderful, each in its own style, but for a first timer visitor, as your husband is, I wouldn't choose the Ca Pisani. It's in Dorsoduro, a lovely district, with a local feel to it, but a little far from San Marco, where a first timer should stay. The rooms at the Europa, mostly the De Luxe ones with a balcony, from where one sees the Grand Canal and Santa Maria de la Salute, are a big "plus!. I can tell from my experience: being there, right in front of the canal gives you a totally different perspective of Venice. If money is not an objection, I would undoubtedly book the De Luxe rooms at the Europa.

I hope it helps,

S

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Tom

Sylvia, I have read all the posts to your original question. I agree with Varsha about the Ca Pisani as the place to stay. Surlock who posted just before me brings up a good point in the fact that this hotel is in the Dorsoduro
but thats why my wife and I loved it. We were very happy in that area. San Marco is packed a lot of the time and it was nice to be away from it for a while. When I say away I am saying a 10-15 minute walk.

Your original post said rooms that are clean, luxurious, not stuffy and overly ornate. Ca Pisani is just that. Newer rooms, modern, very clean, and lots of room. Beds were very comfy.

We stayed 2nights at the Pensione Accademia which is just around the corner from Ca Pisani. We extended our stay in Venice an extra two days because we loved it so much. I walked around the corner on our last day at Pensione Accademia and asked the front desk at Ca Pisani if they had availability for a room. They were very nice and we got a great room for two days.

Surlock post is good in that it brings up the feel of Venice and where a first timer to Venice should stay. We were first timers and loved it! San Marco is very accesible from Ca Pisani. Also, being in a local area(which is like saying the upper East side of Manhattan is local) your near all the great spots to eat.

If you stay at Ca Pisani there is a great restaurant around the corner that was recommended to us by an older couple who lives in Venice. Its called Taverna San Trovaso. Great food at reasonable prices. We found the food in Venice to be very good. This place was one of our favorites because it was near our hotel(a one minute walk after numerous bottles of chianti) and great food. Dinner is a two-three hour experience in most places though.

I think you can't go wrong with either place that Surlock suggested. However, I have never read a post that someone put up that didn't like the Ca Pisani.

One thing I didn't mention that I liked about the Dorsoduro area was that your right on the canal and from the top of the Accademia bridge you can get some great photos(my hobby). Your 2 minutes from Peggy Guggenheims home and museum. An amazing collection with some great works from Pollock! Good luck and if you do stay at Ca Pisani keep it quiet, don't want everyone to start going there!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Eye Spy

I recently stayed at the Monaco & Grand Canal. I travel alone and was very surprised to have gotten such a deal at this upscale 4-star hotel, owned by Summit Hotel group and the Benetton family. Really very very nice: lovely common areas, they upgraded me without my asking and I got a very luxurious room with huge marble tub. The restaurant is one of the best in Venice where many Venetians go. Right on the Grand Canal next to Luna Baglioni. I thought I might as well get some luxury in order to be well rested each day and I must say the price was better than many 3-stars after doing my extensive research. This hotel is featured in the Talented Mr. Ripley. You won't regret this place. The staff were very service oriented; I managed to share a watertaxi from the airport with other people and that kept the cost way down. I hope this helps you! The other hotels people mentioned on this posting are good too, especially the Europa Regina.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Lisa

Tom, I noticed in your post that you stayed at Pensione Accademia before moving to Ca Pisani. I would appreciate it if you would share your impressions of the Pensione. I am considering staying there this August. Thank you.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Tom

Lisa, we enjoyed the Pensione Accademia a great deal. We extended our stay in Venice by two days and moved to Ca Pisani. We had been doing a lot of traveling and just wanted to stay in a more modern room for a couple of days.
Pensione is great and the price is good. We had a room right by the courtyard and canal. Could smell the canal in the room. Now, you can smell the canal all over Venice if the time and temperature is right but our room was a little ripe at times. The hotel itself is great though. Don't be hesitant to stay there at all. We had been on the go for 12 days straight and just stumbled across Ca Pisani.

Bottom line, you will save money at Pensione Accademia and its a nice place. If you want to spend a little more and have a bigger, more modern room stay at Ca Pisani. Ca Pisani has better breakfasts as well.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Lisa

Thank you very much for the additional information Tom.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:02 PM
Rob

Consider the Splendid Suisse...halfway between San Marco & the Rialto Bridge.....excellent Hotel & great service !!

Rob

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 08:19 PM
Surlok

When I said Dorsoduro has a local feel, I meant there are by far less tourists there as opposed to many more Venetian people, whereas San Marco has much more tourists than locals. Besides, by walking by Dorsoduro streets and alleys, I could actually listen to Venetians families talking, smell the meals they were cooking (yummy), and even smell their cigars smoke from their windows. In San Marco, what one hears is mostly English, German, and other not Italian languages. I found staying in Dorsoduro a true delight, however, this was my fourth time in Venice.
I still think that staying in San Marco would be the right choice for a first timer, as I think the Europa is the best hotel to suit Sylvia's priorities. It's a wonderful hotel, not overly ornated, as are the Luna, Gritti and the Danieli, and it was totally remodeled five years ago. The beds are great, (Westin quality), the bathrooms are large and comfortable, with every amenities you could wish for, and the location is very convenient to San Marco.