how to spend Christmas?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:53 PM
anon

how to spend Christmas?

would you rather be away on holiday or at home with your family? I am beginning to think I'd like a Xmas away but I think I'd feel too guilty, leaving all my relatives like that. Have you been away at Xmas and, if so, did you feel you missed something?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 01:24 PM
uncle sam

I believe that Christmas is first and foremost a religious time and should be celebrated in that manner.

It is the birth of Christ and IMHO, the love that emanates from that one solitary birth 2000 years ago that is best spent with family and friends.

However, having said that, the love of Christ is available to all that accept Him regardless of where we celebrate!

US

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM
Annie

Last year my husband and I decided to go away for the Christmas holidays. We enjoyed it so much that we are going back to the same place this year. We depart on Christmas Day for Puerto Rico.

Happy Holidays to all - no matter were you are on Christmas Day!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 01:41 PM
mimi taylor

I'd love to spend Christmas in Provence and see the live nativity scene celebrated in villages, but tho our parents are dead and no siblings or few near, my old lovable blind dog, I couldn't leave (as I do that once a year on my vacation.)

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM
John

As an avid dog lover I commend you. Not that many people would do that.
Merry Christmas to you and yours including Fido.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM
xxx

I do believe that Xmas is a time to spend with the family and relatives. However, as the years go by and I read a few articles about Xmas in my favorite cities of Paris and Rome, I'd really like to spend Christmas there at least once. The cities look so beautiful with all the decorations; I think Europe celebrate Christmas in a more special way than here in the US.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 07:35 PM
Sally

We compromised by going to Rome from Dec. 7- 14. We got to see the Christmas fairs, the decorations, many nativity scenes, and a couple of music concerts, plus, since it was slightly off-season, we were able to use frequent flyer miles at only three weeks notice and get a reservation at a popular convent in a very central location. Best of all, nothing was crowded- no lines, not even at the Vatican. We walked up to the Domus Aurea with no reservations.

I am sure that if we had been able to go a week later, we would have seen even more Christmas activities, but we certainly got a good taste of them.

Now we have been back home for a week, and have mailed packages, cards, decorated with my new Roman nativity scene, and two of my children have just arrived for their Christmas vacation. We are pleased that we got to have a Roman Christmas as well as a family one! A little more hectic than usual but well worth it- no time for jet lag, that's for sure!