HELP WITH HOTELS IN VENICE

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:01 AM
JANICE

HELP WITH HOTELS IN VENICE

MY HUSBAND AND I WILL BE VISITING VENICE FOR THE FIRST TIME. BASED ON OUR BUDGET WE HAVE NARROWED THE CHOICE OF HOTELS DOWN TO FOUR. THESE ALL HAVE AVAILABILITY, SEEM TO BE VERY CENTRALLY LOCATED, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PICK "THE BEST". IF PRICES WERE AL THE SAME...WHAT ORDER OF RATING (BEST TO WORST) WOULD YOU MORE EXPERIENCED TRAVELERS GIVE THEM??? THE CHOICES ARE 1.HOTEL AMERICAN 2.HOTEL LOCANDA BARBARIGO 3.HOTEL SATURNIA & INTERNATIONAL 4.HOTEL CONCORDIA. I HAVE READ THE RATINGS IN DIFFERENT TRAVEL BOOKS/GUIDES, BUT OBVIOUSLY I'M MORE INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM THOSE OF YOU WITH PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:34 AM
huh?

<<I'M MORE INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM>>

Are you HARD OF HEARING? is that why you decided TO SHOUT AT ALL OF US?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:39 AM
elaine

Hi Janice
Please don't use all caps, it comes across like shouting.

All of your choices are popular on this message board and if you search here for each of them by name you will find many favorable comments.
Of those, I have stayed at the Saturnia, last fall as a matter of fact.
The location is excellent, quiet, but less than 5 minutes from Piazza San Marco. We had an exceptionally large room that faced the inside courtyard and no view at all, but again, quiet.
We loved the lavish breakfast buffet (included) and the staff were very accommodating.

Still, we thought our room was in need of updating. Not shabby, very clean, just very old fashioned, and especially, very dark. TV was on a stand in the middle of the room.
Room was "lit" by two table lamps and a wall sconce or two, each of which I swear was using only 25 watt bulbs.

We were very comfortable and happy in the hotel, might even stay there again, but for the price I wonder that we could have had brighter and fresher accommodations elsewhere, though perhaps not as large a room and not with so extensive a breakfast.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:49 AM
robert

I don't get the all caps being equivalent to shouting.It is just a convention that
was started when message boards and e-mail began less than 20 years ago.Really silly
are they suggesting that as they read this that they are shouting in their own heads?

Not to confuse you further but my suggestion is the hotel galleria,located near the accademy gallery and bridge which is a 10 minute walk to san marco
www.hotelgalleria.it

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Surlok

Janice,

I second Elaine: I love the Saturnia. Esplendid location, beautiful, very "Venetian" lobby and wonderful service and breakfast. I would undoubtedly choose the Saturnia.

Enjoy your Venice stay.

Regards,

S

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Robert

Hotel galleria is 104 euros a night for a standard room with bathroom,a large room is 135.How long are you going for? and are you traveling anywhere else? RR

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The Saturnia is the best hotel, but if you like a small personal B&B experience then Locanda Barbarigo is hard to beat.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:41 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Janice
We have used the Saturnia twice since
upgrading to 4 star from 3 star. Have
been very satisified with the Saturnia.
The three star we used for about 8 times
was the Do Pozzi, just across the street.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Robert

I didn't realize that the hotels you were asking about were 4 stars,my wife and I never find it necessary to spend so much,
usually stay in 2 star especially in expensive towns such as venice and rome.
That is why I recommended the place listed above.I would not spend $300 a night for any hotel,In fact my budget is usu. about $400/day including airfare food and all travel expenses for the two of us.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Christian

I have stayed at the Carlton. Good location and really nice. Remember when in venice not to stay on the main walkways. Take a few alleys and see what you find