London Experts PLZ come to the rescue

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:27 AM
help

London Experts PLZ come to the rescue

We are a family of 5 going to london in a few weeks. We usually stay in hotels but since our kids are coming along we thought an apartment would be better. We have found a 2 bedroom apartment that my husband has booked. It is in new cavendish street supposedly close to baker street and a 10 minute walk to selfridges. The apartment does not have a porter or concierge so shall we be worried? Also, I am not familiair with this area so can someone tell me if it is safe especially since our eldest child is 16 and am sure will want to go out alone sometimes.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:17 AM
janis

help: It is a fine area. Most flats do not have conciereges, etc. Of course some do but that usually isn't a major reason to select one. You will be relatively close to Regents Park and Oxford street. The only problem I see is that you will be a fairly long walk from a tube station. Depending on which end of the street you are on it will be about a 10+ min walk to Baker st, Bond St, Oxford circus, Regents park or Goodge st tube stations. That doesn't seem long, but is in a driving rain or the 33F temps I had all last week.

I personally like staying closer to a tube station, but New Cavendish street is certainly a good area. The Wallace collection (one of the finest galleries/museums in London) is just around the corner and Wigmore hall for classical concerts and recitals is a few minutes walk.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:16 AM
kate

We rented a flat in So Kensington that had no concierge and never gave it a thought. The area you are describing is fine as far as I know! Busy and bustling and plenty of people living on the same street you will be staying on, so you will be just one of the crowd. Which , in my opinion, is the great thing about renting in London.
Enjoy your stay!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Lori

Janis is correct, you need not worry, but you will be a fair distance from the tube. As she said, a long walk can seem like miles when it is raining or freezing cold, or if you feet hurt (been there, done that and won't do it again, we like being close to a tube stop and have found places that are). We've stayed in apts with and without concierge and it's never been a problem either way.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:39 AM
PatrickW

Your're also in the middle of a rectangle of bus routes, with several minutes walk to any of them (Baker Street for buses going south via Marble Arch, Oxford Street for buses going East and West or Portland Placefor just two routes going south via Oxford Circus).

But it's a VERY posh area.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:58 PM
tracy

hey there help,

don't miss strolling along marylebone high street and st christopher's court. something for the whole family along both thoroughfares...
have fun!
=)

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Julian Smith

I used to work on New Cavendish Street and still go through the area. Yes, it's an upmarket area. Depending on which end you are at, Marylebone High Street has a Waitrose supermarket where you can buy your groceries (check out the travel bookstore called Daunt Books towards the top end of the High Street). As previous advice has said, in this part of town, use the buses for short/medium trips - it's well worth getting the hang of them and you'll see a lot more of London.