Jun 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

advice on the following venice hotels

1-hotel a la commedia
hotel flora
hotel do pozzi
hotel violino d'oro
la locandieara rooms
i have emailed them and now i am waiting for prices..........i want to stay in san marco square area and this is what i have found so far---any help would be appreciated! what about the albergo royal san marco---( i can't seem to get their website to download!)
2-is there anything i should prebook as far as tours/sights for venice? grazie!!!!!
Jun 25th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I am not familiar with any of them. I suggest you go to www.tripadvisor.com I always find good feedback on hotels in that website.
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:00 AM

I can reply to Hotel Flora, which is well-located in San Marco. It is a short walk with your suitcases from the dock (about 5 min.), and you must pay attention when looking for the hotel sign.

There are people who sing the accoldes of this hotel, and I am not trying to dissuade you, but we had an unsatisfying experience.

The room we were assigned was small, tight, cramped (whichever adjective you like), and the bathroom shower had no shower curtain - plus the shower floor was the same height as the rest of the room. The floor flooded every time we showered. The toilet tissue dispenser was position right next to the shower stall. Needless to say, after the first time it got wet, I had to cover it with a shower cap.

The room also was directly above the lovely garden where people gather to eat breakfast and/or drinks. The noise travelled up into our room (maybe because there were walls all around the garden).

We asked, and were moved to a different room without any fanfare.

I'm trying to remember the public areas of this small hotel, and I think they were dark - not a lot of natural light.

As I said in the beginning, the Flora Hotel is a favorite with some people (including the woman who recommended it to us.)
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Oh, one more thing...when I was in Venice last year, I spotted the Hotel Ala, Campo Santa Maria Del Giglio. The location is in Piazza San Marco.

I had seriously considered this hotel last year, but passed on it because I was paying for 10 people's lodging and the room rate was too high (for that particular trip). As a couple traveling, this hotel would be on my list.
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Flora several years ago and loved it. We sent people after us and they loved it. That being said it is not for everyone. It is a small very charming hotel with gracious helpful staff. The rooms are small but filled with beautiful antiques. It has a charming breakfast room/bar and a beautiful little garden. It is very convenient to the square and all walking. There are porters at the docks who will help you with your luggage.
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM

The Flora is a favorite of mine but agree with the other post saying it's not for everyone. I think it's very charming and the location is good because it is near everything but down a little alley so it's quiet.
I have recommended it to several other people who have also been pleased.