Venice Hotel

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Venice Hotel

We are starting a cruise in Venice in Oct. and are coming in a day early. We are considering Hotel Giorgione, Locanda Orseolo and Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege. Recommendations anyone?

Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Locanda Orseolo because I've read only positive comments about its owners and staff. I've never stayed there but I would like to if given the opportunity.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:37 AM

If Orseolo is available (they fill up FAST even in lower seasons), choose Orseolo. Just returned from our 2nd stay there...would never stay anywhere else. Read the reviews at TripAdvisor - they are dead on.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM

I haven't stay at the Giorgione but it's a good location and the lobby is lovely. Also, the restaurant is very good - clam sauce with ginger! So good, I had it twice!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Hi,

I stayed at Locanda Orseolo for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I loved the hotel. It is cozy and clean, with a location that is a 3 minute walk to San Marco. We had a standard room, and it was lovely. The included breakfasts in the morning were fabulous, but I cannot say enough about the wonderful owners.

This was my fourth visit to Venice. I previously stayed at the Europe & Regina as well as the Westin Excelsior on Lido. The rooms at these hotels were more opulent (e.g., marble bathrooms, larger rooms), and the hotels had more amenities such as full-service restaurants and room service; however, they cannot compare with the warm environment at Orseolo. Like beanweb24, that is the only place I want to stay in Venice now.

Enjoy,
Chels
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Neither the Giorgione or the Accademia are as close to San Marco as the Orseolo. If you're only there a day, wouldn't you want to be close to S. Marco? I've stayed at P. Accademia and would like to try Orseolo based on the raves.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:15 AM

We loved Pensione Accademia in the dorsodoro area of Venice. You can buy a vaporetto pass which gives you unlimited on and off privileges on the vaporettos. (they have 1-day passes, but we had a 3-day pass for 22 euros each in June 2004)

Using the vaporettos as transportation, Pensione Accademia is as close to San Marco as you would want to get, in my opinion. San Marco is the most crowded area of Venice, and although you want to visit there, you don't need to stay there. The ATM machines at San Marco were always out of money when we tried them. The gelato on San Marco square isn't as good as the places we found in less busy areas.

We took the vaporetto all around Venice and got off as many times as we pleased. Great fun.

Pensione Accademia had a great breakfast buffet in June 2005. Great staff too.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:16 AM

OH, one more comment. In our opinion, the garden view rooms are better at the Pensione Accademia. Charming view of small garden, hard to find gardens in Venice actually. Since it's on a smaller canal just off the Grand Canal, the canal view is okay but really we thought the garden view was better.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:06 AM

what cruise are you going on? We are taking the Princess cruise of the Greek Isles leaving from Venice on October 5. Any chance you are too?

Our daughter and SIL stayed at Orseolo and loved it also. We intend to book 3 nights before at Violon d'Oro which is right across the canal from the Bauer for about 1/3 of the price. If you have difficulty booking any of your selections, have a look at it.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 04:15 AM

We stayed at the Accademia this past fall and loved it. Our room was perfect, with a lovely view of the small canal. It was wonderful to watch the daily comings and goings of the locals. Staff was great. Breakfast room lovely. This was our third time to Venice and by far favorite hotel. We got a bargain internet price of 140E for a triple.