Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice - Locanda Orseolo - room no. recommendation?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM
BWP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm just about to make a booking at Locanda Orseolo..... and I was wondering if there is a specific room which any of you could recommend? Judging by the astounding number of glowing reports posted on this site, I'm pretty confident that any of the 15 rooms will give me a memorable stay - but I would love a good view of the canal..... and the sound of singing from the gondolos will be even more welcome

(I will be travelling with my husband - so a double room is required.)

Also, on a slightly different note - is there a restaurant nearby which can be recommended? Flexible budget, not really fussed about price - but would prefer somewhere not too smart... just want to sit outside, eat good pasta, and admire the view

Many thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM

ttt
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Having stayed at this B&B last year, we had a room that faced the Orseolo canal.

Loved hanging out the window and watching the traffic. Since it is close to St Marks square there is a lot of foot traffic over the bridge. It does get noisy but if you close the window, the noise disappears.

The owners recommended Aqua Pazza (sp?) and we found the food to be good. They have an outdoor patio area which I would recommend making a reservation.

You will enjoy your stay at Locando Orseolo because the owners are a delight. They greet you by your first name making you feel like family. Any request is never a problem.

Enjoy Venice!

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Yes...Pulcinella room #15 is gorgeous. It overlooks the Orseolo canal and was recently renovated in lush red and gold fabrics. Beautiful murals on the wall, hardwood floors...super cozy.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can go wrong as long as you specify a canal view. We had two rooms so I am sure that I booked the standard rooms. Our room had a view of the canal, but my kids overlooked the small courtyard on which the Locanda is located. The standard room was not large but was beautifully appointed and completely comfortable. Have a great time!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Hi BWP,

Would you come back to this post after you make your reservation to let us know whether you had any luck or not with your vacation dates? They book up VERY early.

We had to adjust our dates a bit and we booked with them nine months in advance.

Quite worth it though, we can't wait until our journey.

Happy planning, Tiff
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM

We just got back from our 12 day trip to Italy. We stayed at Locanda Orseolo and loved it. I believe we had room 11, and our friends had room 12. We had a courtyard view and they had a canal view. They said it was not noisy at all. We really didn't mind having the courtyard view. Both these rooms have been recently redone. You will love Barbara ane Francesca. They are so kind and friendly. The only negative is that we did not love Aqua Pazza. The food was outstanding, however, the Maitre Di/Waiter waw very snooty to us, and made no eye contact. He did not enjoy translating his menu into English either. This was the only restaurant where we were treated poorly, everywhere we went the Italian people were unbelievably warm and friendly.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
jgg

We stayed in Locanda Orseolo in March, and like Suki our kids had a view of the courtyard and we a canal view. Yes, you cannot go wrong with any room, but if possible a canal view is fun. We had no problem with noise.

We loved Acqua Pazza and Masiniello, both recommended by Matteo and Francesco. All the restaurants we went to were recommendations from them - all excellent. So just ask them where you should go, and they can make the reservation and everything.

By the way, the little cafe just to the right of Corte Zorzi (where Locanda Orseolo is located) is excellent!! It is a panini bar, so great for a quick, inexpensive lunch. Also a recommendation by Francesco!!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Just a side thought about Acqua Pazza. Sometimes I wonder when people had a bad experience if they booked through Locanda Orseolo. Sometimes I think if the restaurant knows who sent you they may treat you better as they don't want a bad report going back. But if they think you just wandered in, your reception might not be so great. Just curious.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM

We had rooms 24 and 25; both were beautiful with canal views. For what it's worth, we enjoyed Acqua Pazza.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:37 AM

I personally love Acqua Pazza and thought the service was very warm and friendly - waiters were even joking with us when we were trying pitiful basic Italian phrases. We enjoyed it so much that we ate there twice...

AND -- both times we booked through Orseolo. I wonder if Patrick has a good theory?!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Patrick may have hit on something there with his Acqua Pazza theory. I must say though that while I found the Maitre di(sp?)a little condescending, that actually added to the experience for me. I enjoyed his whole "I know exactly what you want, I will bring you this and this and this" spiel.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM

What is the website for Locanda Orseolo? I could not find it on Trip Advisor and even tried google. I like much better to deal with the hotel directly than go through other travel options.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Google worked for me...

www.locandaorseolo.com/

Also -- there are more pics if you look at the hotel via the www.italyby.com site.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:33 AM
BWP
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your responses!

Tiff - I've just secured a booking with them for 6-8th Sept 2005. A double superior room with a canal view. Happy days!!

This trip to Venice has been a spur of the moment decision... I started doing a little research into hotels two days ago, and kept reading glowing reviews about Locanda Orseolo, so decided to take a chance and see if they had any availability..... I didn't hold much hope, because apart from being clearly very popular, they also only have 15 rooms - but to my great joy, they could offer us two different dates between now and early October! I guess we were just lucky - and it helped that we hadn't booked flights yet, so had a large degree of flexibility.

Just 25 more sleeps to go - how exciting!!

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM

BWP -- Congrats on your success in booking a room! Even after reading all the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, we were still unprepared for how wonderful the experience would actually be. You are in for a treat. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Last August our family of 4 stayed here. We had two rooms on the top floor, #31 & 35. Husband and I in one room, the two kids in the other. However I can't remember which room number was which room.

The room at the top of the stairs to the right was the double with two windows looking out on the canal. I'm a light sleeper and was never bothered by noise from within the hotel or from the canal either. The room was spacious and the AC worked great. Actually a perfect sleeping room in my opinion-cold, dark and quiet. There is a small hallway after you enter, the bathroom straight ahead and the bedroom to the left. There was a comfy queen bed, armoire, desk, tv, a couple of chairs and plenty of room to move around. The bathroom had a separate tub and small shower. The sink was pedestal style so not much counter area. The bathroom was roomy not cramped.

The kids room, to the left at the top of the stairs at the end of the hall, was much smaller. Two twins beds, dresser, TV and view of the courtyard. Their bathroom was very small.

We LOVE this hotel. It's a charming & pretty place, awesome friendly service, very good location and a great breakfast too. We have stayed in 3-5 star hotels, B&B's and a villa too, all over Italy. Locanda Orseolo is a favorite hotel of ours, second only to Buca di Bacco in Positano.

Re: Restaurants, we too dined at Aqua Pazza, rec'd by Matteo. 4 adults & 4 kids. It was a little pricey for a family meal but we felt worth it. The outside dinning on the piazza was perfect. Our service was fine and the food was delicious. The seafood pizzas were a big hit with the kids.

Enjoy Venice. It's unlike any other place in the world.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Thanks BWP for returning to us after you secured your desired dates of stay. I am excited for you!

The end of January seems so far away for us, but I know it will go fast. We have reserved the large double room superior overlooking the canal, as well.

Will you please pacify us and post when you return, ha. For it is these little tidbits of flavor keep us going, ha, ha.

Happy journey BWP! Tiff