Laconda Orseolo in Venice -which room?

Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:55 AM
BRR
Original Poster

Laconda Orseolo in Venice -which room?

Received the following offer for week after Christmas - which would you choose?

- a nice and cozy double room Standard overlooking the Canal Orseolo at the rate of 220.00 Euro per night, or
- a large, quiet and newly redecorated double room Superior on the courtyard side at the rate of 240.00 Euro per night.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:08 AM

I haven't stayed at the hotel. But I guess you have a choice of a canal view room that's much smaller than the superior non-canal view room. Therefore, it depends on what you prefer better: view or space. Also 'cozy' usually means 'tiny'. However, I don't know how small this hotel's standard rooms are.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM
MaureenB

I'd go for the canal view. After all, you're in Venice, who cares if the room is small-- where else can you get a view of a Venetian canal? We had a canal view room in May at a different hotel, and we were really glad we'd landed one. So amazing to wake up and see the canal, to see it at all times of day from your room is priceless.

Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
GBC

Not sure about the hotel but I'd vote with MaureenB...go for the canal view. After you've returned home you'll remember that view a long time but I doubt if you'll remember the courtyard.

Many of the hotels have a common or breakfast room where you can find some extra 'space' even if your own room is 'cozy'

Finally, when you arrive, if the upscale room hasn't been booked, you still might have an option to at least check it out.

Enjoy.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

I did the opposite when I stayed at LO last spring.I spent the first few nights in a superior canal room,then the last few in a standard on the courtyard.The standard was small but nice-I'd go for the view.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
jgg

We stayed in Orseolo, we had the "cozy" canal view room, our kids had a "cozy" courtyard view room. I will say that the rooms are small, but very efficiently laid out. We loved the canal view, saw the workers unloading goods in the morning, gondolas going down the canal, etc. My husband is 6'1" and really does not like small rooms, but LOVED the room at Orseolo.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

I've stayed both in the canal view room and the courtyard view -- a bit noisier on the canal but WE LOVED IT! You know you're in Venice every moment of your stay there. I say get the canal room, unless you absolutely must turn in for sleep early in the evening.
Sep 4th, 2006, 05:03 AM
loc

The highlight of our 2 weeks in Italy 2 years ago was our stay in the standard facing the canal!! It is not that small, in fact we thought it quite comfortable with a beautiful bathroom and so beautifully decorated. The best part was watching the gondolas as this little canal was a major spot for hopping on one so it was always busy. I sat in the windowsill one day and a gondolier sang to me as he went by!!!
Nov 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM

Our turn....

The hotel has availability for our trip in March --

Which room should we choose? It seems like everyone believes the canal side is better....so should we go for the Deluxe or the Superior?

- our double room Deluxe with canal view at the rate of 230.00 Euro per night;

- a nice and large double room Superior
overlooking the canal Orseolo at the rate of 210.00 Euro per night;

- a nice, quiet, newly decorated and large double
room Superior on the courtyard side at the rate of 200.00 Euro per night;

- a nice, quiet and cozy double room Standard
facing our private courtyard at the rate of 170.00 Euro per night.
Nov 21st, 2006, 05:50 AM

Hi BRR, I have had the luxury of being a guest at Locanda Orseolo and stayed in a canal side room. The windows were lovely and to open them and admire the canal was wonderful. (Of course, you will always have a bit more noise on the canal side vs. a courtyard room, however you are traveling in the off season as we did and it was not a huge problem - that said, in the early morning you will see supplies being off loaded from the boats, etc, we found it interesting and not a bother in the least.) Please feel free to click on my name to read more about LO if you would like. They are wonderful people. You will be happy in any room. And just wait until you experience Matteo's breakfasts! The chocolate crepes await you.
Enjoy!
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM

Hi Tiff,

I LOVED reading your trip report, which is where I first found out about the Laconda Orseolo. Do you have any opinion on the superior vs. the deluxe room? (See my post right above yours.)
Also, hello from a fellow MSP traveler. It's supposed to hit 60 degrees tomorrow!

Liz
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hi Liz, I'm sorry, I did not see your post!

I would presume that space is the only difference between the two rooms. They are so great though, just email them and tell Bruno you are debating between the two. The difference is only 20E so it can't be that drastic. You will LOVE it there. This is a life choice for them, they love what they do and it shows.

I know, can you believe this nice weather! I am always so happy when it is like this around the holidays so those that are traveling will have an easier time.

Thanks BRR for allowing Liz and I to go on and on on your thread!

We will look for both you trip reports!

Happy travels
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:52 PM
BRR
Original Poster

Liz, Tiff, I will report back after our trip, it was fun to see this post "lit up" tonight ( I should be cleaning my house for Thanksgiving but a glass of wine and fodors and escape trip planning was so much more appealing...!) but I can tell you , that I have had to change our reservation at least four times and they have been so gracious, and immediate with the email replys. I can't wait to meet these people!!!! I have the feeling it will be the highlight of our trip. We will be spending New Year's with them. It's just me and my recently graduated from college daughter...we can squeeze into anything together and I figured the canal side room would be more memorable...now I'm excited about the chocolate crepes! I live in St. Paul, we should start a fan club. I'll give them your regards. thanks again. BRR
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM

Thanks Tiff!

BRR- I am in St. Paul too!

We decided to change our flights to land in Rome and depart out of Venice. By doing so our options changed to those BRR listed, though slightly less expensive since we're going off season.

We also chose the "nice and cozy" standard overlooking the canal for 180E/night.

BRR, please post a trip report and let me know how it was.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a fantastic trip with your daughter!

Liz
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM
BRR
Original Poster

Tiff,
How can I find your trip report? Was it difficult to find the Laconda Orseolo the first time you visited? We'll be arriving by train, any advice?
thanks!
My daughter will love the crepes!

Nov 26th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Hi BRR,

Here is the link to our trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34758287

I will say that we arrived by water taxi, so we did not need to be concerned about locating Locanda Orseolo. However, the directions they give are exact so during our stay when we would wonder, we always were able to find our way back.

Just email them if you have any questions on their location. Their customer service is among the best I have ever come across.

Italy is so beautiful, the people so lovely, you will greatly enjoy your journey. I wish I was there now.
Best wishes!
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM

We loved our stay at the Locanda Orseolo.

After you reserve, they will send you very detailed directions to the hotel, including a map and photo.

Woody