Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice: Hotel Riva. balcony slurge worth it and weather in Oct?

Jan 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

I've read the various threads on this hotel. Many from a few yrs back saying it needed to be updated or they were in the midst of renovations. Has anyone been there rescently? The site looks great to us. We are ones who don't need or want the mini bar, elevator or tv...we like charm and want to feel like we're in Venice not any old hotel room. Most important charm and cleanliness (which Tripadvisor I see had some older complaints about).

We're debating about splurging for the Jr Suite ... mainly for the balcony on the canal. Curiuos if anyone has possibly stayed in it or think a balcony is worth the extra $. We figure since there's not a lot of evening nightlife choices we could always retire to the balcony with some wine and watch the canal traffic : ) What is the weather in the evenings in Early October? Too cool to hang out on the balcony?

thanks in advance for your advice.... I'm getting so excited!
Jan 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Usually, the weather in early October is wonderful, cool enough to be enjoyable. We were in Venice last October and there were even some restaurants (though not a lot) serving dinner outside. You would definitely be comfortable sitting outside in the evening for drinks.

Whether you would use the balcony, I'm not sure. I checked the Hotel Riva website, albeit quickly, and didn't see that the Junior Suite had a balcony. But anyway, we've found that our favorite place to sit is on St. Mark's square (not on the water), having a drink and people-watching. We also sat at a cafe on the San Polo side of the Grand Canal, near the Rialto bridge, but during the daytime, not at night. So think about whether you'd be more likely to sit on your balcony with wine, people-watching, or at other places in the city.

In terms of nightlife, what do you have in mind? For us, we eat at 8 or 8:30, and that takes usually a couple of hours, so most of the evening is taken up by eating. After that, we wander around the city, people-watching.
Jan 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM
MaureenB

My daughter and I stayed three nights at the Hotel Riva last May, and enjoyed it. I'm posting my notes about it below. However, I don't think there are any balconies at the Hotel Riva, are you sure there are?? I took some exterior shots of the hotel, but don't see any balconies over the canal.

"We arrived at 9:00 p.m. in Venice via EuroStar from Florence, on Saturday night. My daughter planned our arrival time so I would see the city for the first time at night, a particularly pretty time to see its Grand Canal and the majestic buildings all lit up. It was an amazing and impressive first look at Venice.

We took the vaporetto to the Rialto stop (5 EUR each; we were not charged extra for baggage). I quickly began to understand everyone’s recommendation to pack light for Venice—it’s not easy to drag a large bag on wheels up and down the steps of the bridges, and to navigate the narrow cobblestoned streets. But it wasn’t a long walk, and my daughter followed the rather complicated map, to bring us directly to the front door of the Hotel Riva, at Ponte dell’Angelo.

We checked in and were happy to have a first floor room, since there’s no elevator. Our room was in the corner, looking over the intersection of two small canals.

Hotel Riva is a small one-star hotel, very quaint and charming. Its lobby is welcoming, and its breakfast room is appealing, with both rooms having windows looking directly out on a little canal where gondoliers glide by every few minutes. It couldn’t be a better location. The hotel is sparkling clean, with marble floors, wooden walls, and glass sconces. The bedspreads could be replaced, as they are a bit worn, but that’s a very minor thing to notice, given the wonderful canal views from the hotel and its overall charm.

Our room had an amazing view of the two canals, and the bridges that cross them. Singing gondoliers would use one of the canals, especially. So, from our room, we could hear them go by, singing “Ave Maria” and other Italian favorites. I would sit on my bed, open both corner windows, and watch the activities on two different canals and bridges. Despite the nearness of the canals and the people walking over the bridges and down the little street, the noise was not bothersome to us. The double windows and shutters close tightly, and the canal and foot traffic seemed to be minimal at night.

I highly recommend the Hotel Riva. Its location and price are unbeatable. We paid for a double room, which was just 130 EUR, including an extra 10 EUR for the canal view. We actually had a triple room, with one large bed comprised of two twins pushed together, plus another twin bed in a little alcove. Breakfast is included, which is simply a hard roll and jam, but also with very nice cappuccino. It was a perfect hotel for us."
>-

Jan 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MaureenB. I had read your previous post. It made me reconsider after some of the negative reviews I read on TripAdvisor. I contacted the hotel and they told me the Jr suite has a balcony & room has canal view. Hmmm. I hope so if I pay the extra> I will ask again when I reserve.

As for evenings out... my husband an dI hope to catch a later dinner (8ish) and then just walk around and soak in Venice (people watch, sit for some wine at a cafe). I hear that most things close early there? around 9pm? Anyone know of some later places that stay open?

thanks for the info..
Jan 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
MaureenB

I guess I just didn't see the balcony! Is it on the top floor? There's no lift in the hotel, is there? It is a simple hotel; furniture is a bit old; no frills to our room; rather sparse but very clean. The couple who runs it is quite nice, but the night man wasn't terribly welcoming, I have to say. If you stay there, post your impressions, ok?

I think I remember the restaurants closing fairly early, maybe 10. We didn't find the best food there, just ok.
>-

Feb 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I called Hotel Riva... woman was very pleasant. She said the balcony really is just doors that open instead of a window... you can't walk out on it. So you get that and a very large room for the suite upgrade. I think we'll just go with the regular room. I was hoping to sit out with a glass of wine and watch Venice. I'll just have to do that elsewhere : )

Also, anyone pay then via Western union?? I am have torubleunderstanding her emails and was wondering if I could send in American dollars in stead of Euros since they give you a crappy exchange rate.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
MaureenB

Baemel, the window sills at the Hotel Riva are about table height, so you can comfortably sit in the easy chair provided, to drink wine and watch the gondolas glide by. (Our room was #1.)

We paid in Euros when we left.
>-

Feb 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM

baemel, I came across this thread only now... I could have told you right from the start the Riva has no balcony, since I'm usually sitting on the balcony opposite that hotel - the balcony of the apartment that I'm most often renting in Venice is overlooking the same canal crossing as the windows of the Riva. No need, thus, to give up on your balcony dream, there are actually balconies in Venice, and I swear you it's a GREAT pleasure to sit out there...
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM

I think the balcony would be worth it. We stayed at San Clemente Palace last October (weather was a good as it gets) and loved being on the water.