Day Trip to Granada

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Day Trip to Granada

I'll be travelling in Spain for two weeks and for four days I will be in Seville. The days I will be in Seville are Friday May 25th - Monday May 28th. I am wondering if it is at all possible to take a day trip to Granada to see the Alhambra. I'm thinking of leaving early in the morning and returning back to Granada sometime in the evening. That Sunday, I will be going to the FC Seville soccer match so Sunday is out. I was thinking of going on Saturday. Is this at all possible? Should I take a bus/train to/from Granada? What sites can I use to find this information? How long is the ride between Seville and Granada. Is the Alhambra open for tourists on the weekends? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, John
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM

You can check train schedules at www.renfe.es

There has been a train leaving Seville at 7:00 AM for Granada in the past; takes three hours (I took it a couple of years ago).

I am told the bus takes less time; not sure.

If you do take the train spring for a cab to take you directly up to the Alhambra. When you are done you can call for one from the Parador if necssary to pick you up.

this could be a long and rished day given the transportation times to and from.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend staying the night in Granada?
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I would stay the night in Granada. We went last year in May, and the three hour train ride from sevilla was pretty tiring--it wasn't as smooth a ride as the high speed train from madrid to sevilla. Also, there were a lot of people waiting for a cab at the train station, and a cab would be coming by every 5-10 minutes, so you have to be patient. At the alhambra, its usually advisable to have tickets for a certain time, which you can get online. We stayed two nights in Granada--the first night we went to the Mirador in the albayzin and watched the alhambra at sunset and at night, when it is all lit up. The next morning we went to the site and toured all the grounds. Finally, we saw the palace at night at moonlight. This may be a bit overkill, but it would definitely be easier to spend at least one night there.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM
kja

Whether to stay overnight in Granada depends on your travel style and other priorities. I enjoy overnight stays, so I would; many people dislike relocating, and so would not. I found Granada an enjoyable place to spend a quiet evening. If your goal is specifically to see the Alhambra, reserving in advance would probably be a good idea. If you decide to stay overnight in Granada, you might want to consider booking both an evening and a daytime admission to the Alhambra. Hope that helps!
Feb 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally my plan was to travel from Madrid to Cordoba on Friday May 25th. Spend a couple of hours in Cordoba around lunchtime, and then go straight to Seville. Then on saturday morning, the 26th, travel to Granada, and spend the night there. The next morning I would go to the Alhambra and then catch a train or bus back to Seville to spend the next three days in Seville.

Now, I'm thinking it might be better to go straight to Granada from Cordoba, see the Alhambra on Saturday morning, and then go to Seville during the day on Saturday from Granada. Does this seem like it's a better plan of action?

What are travel times like between
Cordoba -> Granada
Cordoba -> Seville
Granada <-> Seville
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM

Good questions. I have the exact same questions about a trip in July. How to cover the Cordoaba/Sevilla/Granada group effectively