Up-date on Hotel Monge Paris 5th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just returned from a month apartment stay in Paris in the 4th quarter and walked by the Hotel Monge a week ago and noticed all the refreshments to the outside of the building.......now a three star hotel under new ownership.

For those who have stayed there, the breakfast room is now a hip bar all decked out in chocolate brown leather and individual bar tables. And they have painted the kinky little elevator a trendy designer inspired basic dark brown. How dull and un-mongey. I did not go up to see the up-dated rooms which warrant that rise in price from a 2 star to a 3 star.

I`d be interested to know what Julie and her husband are doing if anyone finds out.

By the way, spending mid Feb to mid March in Paris was absolutely wonderful and my kind of weather. Fresh for walking with touches of rain.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Sorry to hear this. My husband and I really enjoyed Hotel Monge and planned to stay there again when a trip thru Paris is warranted.

Yes, update us on Julie if any has any info.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention the new name of our old Monge. The Hotel Acte V Paris and there website is www.hotel-actev.com
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Lack of sleep made "their website" into "there website and now that I have had a chance to realy view the new site, can say that they seem to have just refreshed the reception and entrance to the hotel.

The bed fittings, bedspreads and room decor is the same as when Julie was there. So I guess just raising the price makes it a 3 Star ???
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I appreciate this notice, because Hotel Monge was one I often pass on as a recommendation. I sent a girlfriend there thru suggestion here on Fodor's and it was great for he. But at the new price point, is now out of our (my groups) budget.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the hotel update! When you have time will you post a little about your month long stay? I'd love to hear about it and your apt in the 4th
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Goldwynn, would you be so nice as to report on your apt. stay? I am looking for an apt. in Paris and because of the exchange rate would like something that is 4K or less for a month, if that is even possible these days.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Various hotels decide to upgrade and raise prices, but raising prices does not mean you get to be a 3* hotel because of that. Hotel star ratings are based on many standards (eg, size of rooms, elevator, breakfast availability, telephones, if room service is available, etc, there are many) and hotel inspections by the officials.

I'm sure the Monge would have to raise their prices if they spent money on renovation, otherwise, why would they do it. But you don't just get to be a 3* hotel by raising your rates. I'm not even sure if the star ratings affect the hotel rates at all (they might have some ceiling, I forget what I've read on that) but the rates are really their choice. There are 2* hotels in Paris that charge more than some 3* Paris hotels, for example. It does affect the city tax per day about a euro or something very minimal.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM

It does affect income taxes...3 star hotels pay a bit more than two stars (that's why many 2 stars just don't want to upgrade even if they have the required services). Maybe the new management has thought that their new prices are too much for a two stars in his zone (I mean, their nearest competitors) and they prefer to advertise themselves as a three stars.