Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkey hotels-Istanbul, Antalya, Cappadocia

Mar 26th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Kris

Now that I've got the itinerary sort of figured out, I'm looking for help with hotels.

In Istanbul I'm looking to stay in the heart of things which I believe is Sultanahmet. I'd like to keep the rate down to $50-$75 per night and there are several hotels/pansiyons that fit the bill-Empress Zoe, Nomade, Alzer, Sidera. Any personal recommendations? I'd like a place with a little charm and a private bath. We tend not to spend a lot of time in our hotel so amenities aren't extremely important.

Near Antalya, we will probably be visiting the ruins in the area-Perge, Aspendos, Termessos, Side so we're not looking for a resort type hotel, just something well located and easy to get to. I believe we will have a car so staying outside of Antalya might be better if it's tough to drive in the city. I think the Renaissance in Kemer which has been recommended to me might be located too far for what we are trying to see.

And finally in Cappadocia I'd think I'd like to stay in a cave hotel but it isn't absolutely essential. I've seen the recommendations for Esbelli Evi and it looks great, is there any advantage to staying in Urgup over Goreme? How is the Kelebek Hotel in Goreme?

Thanks for your help!

Mar 26th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Kathy

Have stayed at the following hotel in Istanbul twice, most recently Nov. 2001. Great location and price. It is charming and all rooms have small private baths. The staff is terrific too. There is also a rooftop patio with a water view. I highly recommend the Ayasofya.
http://www.ayasofyahotel.com/english.htm

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Kris

Thanks Kathy, that's another one I was looking at although it's toward the higher end of my price range.

Anyone else?

Mar 27th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kris

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson near the airport in Istanbul? For the first night it may be convenient for us to stay near the airport as we are arriving at 4:00 pm and may fly out the next morning to Kayseri at 7:30 am. I figure by the time we get through customs and to the city that it would be too late for anything besides dinner. I found a $70 + taxes rate and wondered if it was in the same area as the Crowne Plaza and if it was as nice. The Crowne, which we have stayed at and loved, is running $130 + taxes for the same night. Is there a good place to get dinner in the area?

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:59 PM
julie

The Kelebek in Goreme is excellent. We stayed there in November 2000, had a room in a "fairy chimney" with a private bath and HOT shower. We loved it.

May 9th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Murat

Dear Kristi,

Try Kaleici in Antalya, the old part and central, Marina Residences & Tekeli Konaklarý are fine boutique hotels there and if you look for a 5 star in the city Talya would be ideal.
Later try to go to Kas or Kalkan too.

If you are coming to Cappadocia come and visit us for a cup of something
Happy to answer any questions you may have.