Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Cotswolds- Bourton/Slaughters/Owl Pen...any questions?

May 2nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
Bryan W.

Anyone needing an update on driving tips or general info on the Cotswolds, add a msg to this one...BAT

May 2nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
Adrian

Bryan,
Could you possibly supply me with the names of eating establishments and hotels,B&Bs etc, that you used.
Thanks.

May 3rd, 2002, 01:01 PM
fran

thanks Bryan for your offer. We have a trip planned for September prior to the Ryder Cup in Birmingham and are trying to put together itinery, hotels etc. for 3 days. Appreciate any input you may have!!!

May 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Bryan W.

On this trip (my 3rd to the Cotswolds) I stayed at the Stratton House Hotel near Cirencester, mainly because they have a good deal going this year for stays of 2 nights or more (50 pounds per person for bed & breakfast, 3 course dinner & afternoon tea). My 1st choice was to Dial House Hotel in Bourton-on-the-Water, but they were booked up. I'd recommend Bourton as a good because of the central location plus I think it's the prettiest town in the Cotswolds that also has services (restaurants, grocery store). Tourist buses invade the town between about 10am to 4pm, but it's still worth staying there. The little villages of Upper & Lower Slaughter are just 5 minutes from Bourton & also very pretty, but the 3 hotels there are super expensive.On an itinerary, include Sudeley Castle in Wynchcombe, the town of Broadway, & the town of Chipping Campdon. Owl Pen Manor, just west of Tetbury, is proclaimed by Fodors as the prettiest place in the Cotswolds, but it didn't do much for me....access to it is a narrow, one lane dirt road which you may not want to maneuver if you're not used to driving in England. If you want to stay on the outskirts of the Cotswolds, I recommend the town of Woodstock which has several nice hotels & is also adjacent to Blenheim Palace.

May 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Alicia

I have a Woodstock B&B booked for the end of May while we are visiting Blenheim Palace. Diane Smith, the manager, has been be great to deal with and very responsive to all my questions.

The Blenheim Guesthouse and Tea Rooms, 17 Park Street, Woodstock, Oxon, OX20 1SJ
Telephone: 01993 813814
Facsimile: 01993 813810
E-mail: [email protected]
Diane Smith, Manager

May 5th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Bryan W.

Alicia....good choice of Woodstock; I have stayed at the Bear Hotel on the same street.... you might try it for dinner. Besides Blenheim, another great place to visit in the area is Waddesdon Manor, just north of Aylesbury. It's a former home of one of the Rothschilds; architechture is French & the furnishings are quite opulent.

May 5th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Alicia

Bryan, thanks for the suggestion of the Bear Hotel for dinner. I will be in Woodstock for two nights, do you have any other suggestions for dinner?
A

May 6th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Susheela

Some questions about drive times...we will be spending a week at Sudeley and then a week at Chipping Norton (nr Stow on the Wold). Wondering how long it takes to drive to Bath/Stonehenge/Salisbury, and then in the other direction, how long to Ironbridge Gorge. Thanks!

May 6th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Bryan W.

Drive times: You can make Bath in about an hour & a half & Stonehenge in about 2 hrs. You can probably average 70 mph on the major motorways, but maybe about 45 mph on the 2 lane 'A' roads. The Cheltenham - Bath road (A46) is very scenic, but also a bit narrow & congested. Haven't been to Iron Bridge. Bath is a very congested city to drive in - good luck.

May 9th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Jean

My 12-year old daughter and I will be making a day trip to the Cotswolds area while we are in London. We plan to take the train to Moreton-in-Marsh, then take a bus or taxi to either Chipping Campden, Stowe-on-the-Wold or Broadway. Which of these towns (or any others) would you recommend for a short, pleasant visit? Thanks!