Triple room in Paris

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Triple room in Paris

Hi fellow Fodorites. Ive been searching for either an apartment or hotel room (triple) for 3 people. I assume that most hotels will have a twin bed for the third person. Many apartment web sites states fold-away beds or a convertible couch. Based on past experience, convertible couches are VERY uncomfortable. Would this be the case for those in the Paris apartments? One place has a futon.

Depending on our itinerary we may sty in Paris for 3 nights before heading to Provence (8-9 nights) and then back to Paris for 3 nights. So for an apartment we would have to select one that doesn't have a minimum of 1 week. So for now, we do have the option of a hotel (if I can find a place with triple rooms) or an apartment.

I just don't want to stay in a place and not be able to sleep comfortably.

Would appreciate your suggestions. Looking to spend around $240/night.

Thanks!

Monica

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:13 AM

When you do a Triple, look to the higher end hotels. Small hotels charge up for triples when often you can use the larger rooms of the 4 and 5 star hotels at almost the same rate.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Hotel La Bourdonnais has a triple; very clean hotel, nice staff and well located.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM

There isn't any way she is getting a triple in a 4-5* hotel for $240, which is now around 180 euro.

I would assume foldout couches in Paris vacation rental apts are about as comfortable as you remember, or worse, as apts that are rented a lot often have cheap furniture. I can sleep on a futon I have in my guest bedroom okay, but it's pretty comfortable. You never know, and people who like soft beds surely wouldn't like it at all.

I don't think you said when you were going to be in Paris as it would be a lot easier to find that in low season (ie, end of July or August) at that price.

I thought maybe the 3* hotel I often stay at in Montparnasse, which I know is comfortable and has larger rooms, might be possible but it is now around 240 euro for a triple, so that's out. If that is regular pricing season you want, it is going to be difficult to find anything over a 2* hotel for 180 euro for a triple, I think.

How about Ira's favorite 2* hotel, Hotel Bonaparte www.bonaparte.fr at least they have a triple at that rate and it's a good location. He ought to know what kind of bed you get with that. The 2* Hotel Muguet is about that rate, maybe a bit more (190 for a triple from March 2009). I don't know what you get there for a triple, but I think the extra bed is small from what I've heard. Some French "twin" beds are smaller than standard US twin beds, if the extra person is an adult that could be a concern.

www.paris-hotel-muguet.com
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
mms

The Muguet does have triples. The room we stayed at there had a king bed as well as a daybed. The hotel made up the daybed for my teenage DD and it seemed to be normal size, not short.

The Best Western Bretagne Montparnasse has triples. Even though it is in the 14th, it is very close to a metro stop and very easy to get around.

This summer we are staying in an apt that has a double bed, a pull out sofa, and a bed in a loft. That is through Vacation In Paris, #125.

You might want to check out the two apartment threads on here and see if any of those seem like what you are looking for.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Both the Hôtel de France and the Duquesne-Eiffel in the 7th have triples (and larger), but I'm not sure what the prices are. The Hôtel de France is a 2-star, though, and the Duquesne a 3-star. The Hôtel de France is a bit spartan, but the beds are incredibly comfortable!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Christina,
When the dollar was far weaker than it is now, I got triples at the Concorde St Lazar and Sofitel next to the US Embassy for less than $240 through American Airlines Vacations. I must be a luckier shopper than you are.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM

http://www.familiahotel.com/english_...l_familia.html

Has triples but you'd have to ask if it's a twin bed or a fold out sofa
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Hotel Monge has triples - containing a double bed and a single bed.

Great location in the 5th, around 100 euros a night.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Monica,
The Hotel quai du Voltaire has a triple room, looking onto the Seine across to the Louvre. It is shown in the following link:

http://www.quaivoltaire.fr/english/V...ambre2.asp.htm

There is another twin bed where the photographer would be standing, making three twin beds total. There is a table with 3 chairs and an upholstered chair (to give you an idea of the size of the room). The Voltaire was being renovated in April 2008 when I was last there, but I would think the work in the halls would be completed by now. It's only a 2 star (has an elevator) but I absolutely love it and the location. Beth in DC
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM

About 3-4 years ago, DH and our 2 DD and I shared a large room at Hotel Le Clement in the 6th, Saint Germain de Pres, all sightseeing within walking distance. While this was a 3 star hotel at best, the rate was very affordable and the location superb. We were there for a week, we were willing to put up with one bathroom, tiny elevator, etc. The place was spotless clean. Breakfast was extra (if I recall, 10E per person), we chose the excellent boulangerie or other places in the area. We spent so much time sightseeing, we were only in the room to sleep or rest. We loved being so well located, there was a Monoprix within 5 min walk, 2 Metro stations. Should be about 175E?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll look them over this weekend.

Monica
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Three years ago we stayed in a triple at the Hotel de l'Angleterre on Rue Jacob in the St. Germain area (there is at least one other Hotel Angleterre). I do not recall the cost but it was moderate at the time. It was a very nice setup because our room was large and the 3rd bed, where my daughter slept, was basically its own very small room (though inside our room) - and we shared a bathroom. It afforded comfort and a little privacy for all. No a/c but very good location (for our purposes) and a charming courtyard for breakfast.

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

PS: This will be for our arrival May 8th.

Monica
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Julia_t.........Hotel Monge is no more. Now called ACTE V and doubles are way up to Euro 180. Julie and husband retired. Room decor seems to have stayed the same but the lobby and breakfast room have really changed. What a shame as that was the neatest and most welcoming place to stay in all my years in the 5th.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi M,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. Triples are 170E w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM

I can also recommend the Hotel la Bourdonnais. We stayed in their quad/family room, which has two double beds and a full-on view of the Eiffel Tower. The room had a decent amount of space for us with our two kids.

The hotel is on the lovely Bourdonnais boulevard, right across from the Champ de Mars park and a short walk to the Eiffel Tower. There's a little market next door, an ATM around the corner, and the Rue Cler market about three blocks away. A great location in the 7th for our first visit to Paris.

(It was in your price range three years ago, anyway.)
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

FYI,

My friends and I booked an apartment for the first portion of our our trip. We booked apartment #18 on vacationinparis.com http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_18.htm in the Marais; and Hotel des Grands Hommes for the last portion of our trip. Got a triple room with a view of the Pantheon. It's high on Trip Advisor, so we're quite happy!

Now to plan our days in Provence....

Monica