Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Thérese and other charming Paris Hotels

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm taking my fiancé to Paris for his birthday in Novemeber and am considering booking a room at Hotel Thérese. I've had a look at other reviews of the hotel on this site and the only thin that worries me is the size of the rooms - are they really that tiny? Is it worth paying extra for a superior double.

If anyone has any recommendation for other lovely Paris hotels (location is not really an issue, as long as it's pretty central), I'd love to hear about them.

We're also thinking of going tp Georges in the Centre Pompidou for dinner/lucnh - anyone have any comments?

Thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM

I stayed at the Therese's sister hotel, the Verneuil over in the 7th district. I think the standard double rooms are comparable in size at both hotels judging from the Therese's std. double room measurements. So, yes, I say go for a deluxe double. The standard room at the Verneuil is very tiny.
It's fine for one person but after a couple of nights you feel too confined. Your fiance may not appreciate that.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:38 PM

We stayed in a deluxe double at the Therese in May of this year. The size was OK -- not huge, but from what I understand much bigger than the standard rooms. There wasn't room for a sofa, just two chairs on either side of a large window that faced onto the quiet street. This was our first stay in the 1st -- we normally stay in the 6th. The location is good, but we still prefer the 6th, and will probably stay there when we return in November.

Just another note on the Therese: the hotel itself is fine, but the desk staff ranged from absolutely rude, to indifferent, to above average. This is not a reflection of French culture -- I was visiting my family there, and they commented as well.

Have a great trip!

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I enjoyed Therese in 2002 -- I think that they had just been refurnished or something and the price seemed reasonable. I did remember having a rather small room.

How much are they charging now? I remember looking into it at one point and they seemed more expensive.

I liked Therese's location. You're very near the Pyramides Metro stop, I think (line 4).

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

They're now charging 165 euro for a standard double room, and 200 euro for a superior double room.

Are these prices reasonable?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:47 PM

Yes, those rates are about average for that type of a hotel.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:06 AM

It's more expensive than what I paid, I think. But I think that when I went in 2002, the dollar was stronger.

Try to see if you can book the hotel through Utell.com for cheaper (that's where I booked).

But I did like the hotel.