Choosing up-to-date Parisian hotel

Mar 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Choosing up-to-date Parisian hotel

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning a four day trip to Paris this fall, and we are struggling to find a hotel with "modern amenities" such as a standing shower located in the St. Germain area where we prefer to stay. We would like to stay in the price range of 250 Euro. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Mar 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM

You can find out all kinds of things by searching...

From elaine's post:
Hotel Delavigne, rue Casimir Delavigne, 6th, 3-star. Metro Odeon.
Small rooms (there's a lot of variation, so I recommend asking for a twin if you want a double, the beds are pushed together anyway but the room is a bit larger); charming and fresh decor, staff professional, helpful, friendly; bathroom excellent and modernized and reasonable size, tub with good shower and shower curtain, built-in hairdryer; excellent quality and size cont'al breakfast with fresh juice for 10 euro (worth it if like me you want coffee and food before you venture out);
breakfast can be delivered to room upon advance request. Elevator. Last month our twin was 120 euro. No a/c, so rates decrease in July and Aug. Many rooms have balconies, I don't know if all do.

And one from Underhill: (this one may be more than 250€, though)
"We spent three very comfortable days at the Madison last week. Our room, #23 (on the corner, facing the boulevard), was recently redecorated in shades of lovely soft greens, with fern-patterned wallpaper edged in deep gold braid. The spacious room had two beds . . . .The bathroom had two sinks, a bathtub with a good shower (and curtain!!!) AND laundry line, as well as a bidet. The towels were large and thick."

One from ehughes:
"We stayed at the Hotel D'Albe in the Latin Quarter, a stone's throw from Notre Dame and were so pleased with it. Very clean, small charming room with large window overlooking a lively street, AC, very nice breakfast, modern shower and bathroom."

Another way to figure it out is to go to www.parisby.com and select the St Germain hotels, then look at the photo gallery for pix of the bathrooms.
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM

I think scandibound wants a real shower, not a shower in a bathtub. Actually, that is the usual kind of room I've had recently the Parisian hotels I've stayed at. They are more common in the ones newly renovated as they are tending to put in showers rather than tubs. But, I don't stay in St Germain. I'd suggest maybe some more modern hotels -- I think the Artus hotel is in your range and has only showers www.artushotel.com to check that out
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM

Funny to see Hotel Delavigne mentioned here. In 1995 we were walking around that neighborhood, I saw that hotel, thought it looked charming (and it was in a great location as I recall) and I stopped in to get the rates. I'd still love to stay there sometime. They were so nice too. I still have the little sheet of paper with the rates on it! (We were staying at the Hotel Elysa Luxembourg - also nice.)
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM

Only a few of the rooms at the Artus are shower only but they are tiny even for Paris (200E). The larger rooms have shower/tub combos and are 250E. We have happily stayed in the doubles and the Junior Suite which has a separate shower and large circular tub (with small balcony) but that is 340E.
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM

wliwl
I found the Delavigne accidentally, I was staying up the street at a two-star hotel that we felt was unsatisfactory (and we'd tried two different rooms there.)
We were passing the Delavigne all the time anyway, didn't go in right away because we thought that as a 3-star it would be over our budget, but it wasn't.
We liked it very much, and as long as a/c isn't an issue I'd stay there again.

The shower was one of the handheld hose types, but in this case the cradle for it was above head-level and it could be left in place and the spray aimed as in a conventional American shower head, or it could be removed for hand-held use.
The bathroom was modern and renovated recently.
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM

I included Delavigne specifically b/c elaine mentioned a shower curtain, which would take the gymnastics out of using the shower.

The OP could still go look at pix on Parisby.com and see what kind of showers they have for him/herself.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Great ideas.

We are also interested in Hotel Clos Medicis...anyone stayed there?
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM

Some of the rooms at the Verneuil have tubs with shower doors and wall mounted showerheads that can be removed to use as a hand held shower. How you would specifically get one of those,, I don't know.
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM

Re: The Verneuil's shower/bathtub combinations are in the standard double rooms and deluxe double rooms only I believe. The single rooms have showers only. Just need to specify which type of room you want to reserve or ask the staff; they're pretty good answering all questions.
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:17 PM

Oh, sorry, didn't answer the question properly. Don't know about the single room showerheads, but the showerheads in the standard and deluxe doubles are removeable.

Apr 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM

I just got back last night from a week's stay in Paris. We really enjoyed the Hotel Delavigne - thanks to all who recommended it for our stay. We had requested a twin room, but were given a triple at check-in which gave us lots of extra space for suitcases. Our friends stayed in a double room and it was really cramped compared with our room.

The staff is really nice and friendly. The rooms have a hand-held shower which had really great water pressure.

I would definitely stay here again!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:51 AM

I've stayed in six or seven hotels in Paris and the only one we had with a separate shower was at the Le Grand (Intercontinental). By the way, it's a great hotel but probably a bit over your budget.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
tod

Last May we also opted for a more modern hotel with large rooms and checked into The Holiday Inn Paris Opera. The locality in Rue de l'Echiquier isn't marvellous but it isn't too bad either with Metro Bonne Novelle nearby. The rooms however were stunning with a gigantic kingsize bed, beautifully tiled bathroom with standup shower cubicle, towel heater, all shampoos & lotions provided etc. etc. This cost us 174euros per day booking with Venere.com
Maybe other Holiday Inns nearer the touristy areas may be OK?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:35 AM

The Muguet in the 7th, and a lot less than your budget, has rooms with shower stalls.