Search

Trastevere neighborhood vs. Pantheon Neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trastevere neighborhood vs. Pantheon Neighborhood

Hello,

We are honeymooners staying in Rome for 4 nights in October - torn between two hotels. One in the Trastevere neighborhood, San Francesco and the other is Hotel Smeraldo in the Pantheon neighborhood near Campo di Fiori. Prices are comparable. We don't mind walking, as long as it is safe, and we would like to be in a somewhat lively area, bars, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM

I just stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo last month with my adult daughter. I thought it was in a really convenient area and it was close (a short block) for the tram over to Trastevere along with being a 5 minute walk to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. There was a grocery store and ATM right around the corner which was perfect as we would be out for dinner and then come back to the hotel and have our bottle of wine(wasn't our first on their 4th or 5th floor rooftop seating areas. Our room had a balcony which we ended up not using as it was 100 degrees F almost everyday we were there.

I should preface this that I work for the airlines and layover in Rome at least once a month for work. The various hotels that we have used for our crew layovers through the years are 4 stars but are so far away from the central area that it is a pain for walking or cabbing back at night. The Smeraldo was in a great spot for my daughter and I as you could come back to the room and drop stuff off;regroup with the A/C when it was so hot in the late afternoon or even check on the free WIFI for a restaurant reservation.
We had twin beds in our room with a plasma TV with English channels,balcony,free breakfast(doable),free WiFI in the room which is nice. The bathroom was decent but our shower was in a corner and small-the only negative. The hotel got us a hired car back to FCO very early on our last day for 45 euros for two which worked out well.
I have the best restaurant in Trastevere that is so reasonable and a great wine bar by Piazza Navona if you are going.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM

You may want to take a look at recent reviews on Trip Advisor for hotels you are considering. It can be a helpful way to figure out what is a better match for you.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM

We loved the neighbourhoody feel of Trastevere compared to the Pantheon - but in saying that the Pantheon is our favourite thing in Rome!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input everyone!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:48 AM

emflag, I just recently made a reservation for Hotel Smeraldo after some research as well (comparing different locale's from you, however). A posting here (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-east-rome.cfm) pushed me to the Smeraldo. If you scroll to near-ish the bottom, there are some favorable comments for that hotel. Apparently, it is in a relatively quiet area of historic Rome with a marketplace, a cafe, and atm just outside the hotel. However, the rooms are also quite small.

Best of luck to you!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM

We find the Pantheon neighborhood to be the most convenienetly located to reach the parts of Rome that we visit. It is a little more difficult to visit various parts of Rome from Trastevere. That said, Trastevere is someplace you should definitely visit while in Rome.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM

All of the young people hang out in Trastevere, especially college students and their local friends. The streets are packed with 20-somethings in the evening. The scene is very open and social (cocktails in hand), and the high energy is unique for any neighborhood in Rome.

Older people hang out near the Pantheon, and most are tourists. So, there's little evidence of hip, unless we're talking joint replacement.

So, if you're newlyweds in your 70's, I would avoid Trastevere, or lower your hearing aids before you cross the Tiber.

If you're in your 20's, have a drink in Piazza della Rotonda, in early evening, then go eat and hang in Trastevere.

Where you stay may not matter, since all the action is walkable in that part of town. A good night's sleep will always depend on the location of your room.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM

I agree 100% with NYCFoodSnob's take. We've stayed in both Trastevere and the CDF area. We enjoyed both, but when we go back in May, we'll be staying in Trastevere.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Another vote for Trastevere. I spent four nights in Rome on my honeymoon last October (congratulations by the way!!) and we loved the energy and feel of Trastevere. We stayed near the Piazza Navona, which was a great area, but next time we'll stay in Trastevere. You will have to walk a little farther to see some sights but I don't think it matters, there's so much to see in Rome!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

OK, I think we are going to go with the Trastevere area - thanks to all! We are in our late 20s, early 30s, so that seems to be more our style. And I'm assuming its fairly safe walking to and from the Trastevere area, even late at night?
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM

We walked back and forth every night in Dec - no problem, there were always lots of people around because of all the restaurants in the area.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM

emflag,

My husband and I have stayed in both neighborhoods, and enjoyed them both. They are both great to just walk around, discovering narrow streets, interesting shops, trattorias, bars. As others have said, the Pantheon area is probably the most convenient for the most well-known historic sites of Rome (except for the Vatican, which is closer to Trastevere). The Trastevere has much more lively nightlife.

I think Campo dei Fiori may not be as quiet at night as the area immediately surrounding the Pantheon, though it's not far from there.

While you will see more tourists in the evening in the Pantheon area than in Trastevere, I did not feel that Trastevere was tourist-free--there was definitely a fair amount. The average age in the Trastevere bars and restaurants at night seemed younger (more folks in their 20s-early 30's) than those in the Pantheon area. The Pantheon area was much more of a mix of ages. But I didn't feel like there was an unusually large number of folks in their 70's or older in the Pantheon area.

In the Pantheon area, we stayed at Albergo del Senato, which is basically adjacent to the Pantheon, in the same piazza--Piazza della Rotunda. I recommend visiting there before, say, 9:30 am, when there are few people. It is so beautiful and relaxing to experience it then.

In Trastevere, we stayed at small B&B Buona Notte Garibaldi (sp?). It was pleasant but we still liked del Senato better. The hostess was very friendly, and the rooms were nicely decorated, but there is no a/c (which may or may not be an issue depending on the weather), breakfast was mediocre, bath was nicely furnished but could have been bit cleaner.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM

emflag: Don't know about the relative hotels, but the feeling of energy and that you are part of a neighborhood makes the Trastevere very special to my wife and me. And very romantic.

Make sure you have good air-conditioning. to us that is huge!!

Steve
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Rome is incredibly safe to wander around in, even late at night and even in Trastevere. MUCH more safe than most major American cities. Just use common sense.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:05 PM

San Francesco is our favourite Hotel in Rome! We stayed there for the third time during May this year. We love Trastevere and realised again just how easy it is to go to the Pantheon, Campo De Fiori and even Trevi and Spanish steps areas. And we always love to walk along the river to Pone Sant Angelo and then over to St Peters and the Vatican.

The number H bus takes you to and from Termini train station, and Tram 9 runs avery 15 minutes to and from Largo Argentina. Bus 76 also takes you very close to the Pantheon.

If you decide on San Francesco, I can recommend Room 206. A bit bigger than the other rooms we stayed in, with a shower and bathtub (huge bathroom) But best of all - it is so quiet, with a view of the old cloister's garden and tower.

All the staff at the Hotel is so friendly and at Reception they all speak English. And we experience this since we stayed there for the first time in 2001.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all again - Hote San Francesco in Trastevere is booked! : )