rome hotel recommendations?

Oct 17th, 2002, 06:39 PM
jb

rome hotel recommendations?

We'll be travelling to Rome this November with our 4-year-old and are looking for an affordable hotel ($120/night or less), preferably near the Pantheon or Campo Di Fiori or Navona. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Kay

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo, 2 min walk from the Campo dei Fiori. I assume you mean US$120/night, if so, it would be within your budget. We loved the area, hotel was OK, front desk staff not very helpful. You can get a cheap, quick Italian breakfast of coffee and a pastry across the road at the bar.
www.hotelsmeraldoroma.com
Kay

Oct 18th, 2002, 10:52 PM
loveitalia

We were in Roma last Fall and stayed in Campo di Fiori area and absolutely loved it. I recommend staying at Albergo della Lunetta, Piazza del Paradiso, 68 (tel 011-39-06-686-1080). We really liked this hotel and its very central location in the heart of Roma. The rate for a double with bathroom/shower inside room was only $85 USD/night. We were right around the corner from the famous Campo di Fiori market and its wonderful restaurants and cafes. Not to mention walking distance from the Roman ruins. The owner was extremely gracious, speaks English, and enjoys meeting Americans.

Oct 19th, 2002, 10:48 AM
jb

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll check out Albergo della Lunetta. I forgot to mention that we have also considered finding an affordable apartment in Rome. If anyone has any suggestions for something in the $100-120/night USD range, preferably near Campo Di Fiori or the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, it would be appreciated. Restaurant suggestions, too! Thanks for your help.

Oct 19th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Chris

jb. May I suggest pricing hotels close to some of the metro stops.
Distances in Rome while within "easy walking distance" for some adults, may seem very far to a four year old.
For instance, it may take you 40 minutes to walk to the Vatican from the Campo Di Fiori area.
This is just a suggestion. We did stay in this area last May and loved it, though.

Oct 20th, 2002, 12:13 AM
loveitalia

Re: post from Chris about walking distance from Campo di Fiori to the Vatican: jb specifically requested a hotel near the Pantheon or Campo di Fiori. One would never suggest a walk to the Vatican from Campo di Fiori, that would be ridiculous for any one- adult and child alike! Campo di Fiori is quite close to the Roman ruins -- a walk along the Via dei Fori Imperiali or a bus ride on line #64.

As for restaurants, 'Grappola d'Oro' in the Campo di Fiori area is terrific and reasonably priced, as is 'L'Orso 80' up near the Pantheon. Both are "local" restaurants and not very touristy which makes for a much more authentic dining experience.