Alexia

Hotel Accademia in Rome

Has anyone stayed here? Thoughts?

May 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
tttt

toping

May 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Alice

I stayed there in 1992. My room was pretty small, 2 twin beds, and a small bathroom. It was clean and adequite for little old me. I didn’t spend a lot of time there, so it was fine. Clean and on a very quiet pedestrian street.

It’s about 2 seconds from the Trevi and not far from the Spanish Steps. The staff was not very friendly, but I didn’t need them much so it was fine. A good price, too.

If you stay there, ask for a room overlooking a tiny courtyard so you don’t feel clausterphobic. I enjoyed watching the pedestrians passing by, and across the way was some building with a 24-hour armed guard outside.

I’d say if you’re on a budget, go for it.

- Alice

May 16th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Myer

We just got back from Rome, London (report under construction) day before yesterday. We stayed at the Accademia for the first few days of our trip and then returned to Rome and stayed at Santa Chiara.

If you can get Santa Chiara instead do it.

I don't know how both hotels can be rated the same and in the same price category.

We checked in May 1 and the first thing we found was that the main elevator was under reconstruction. We had to compete with the staff using the service elevator in the rear of the hotel.

Then we got to a dark gray, musty room. We complained and were told by a friendly desk clerk that someone had to get the old rooms and that no others were available for that night but that we would be moved the next day. We didn't unpack and they move our luggage.

The new room was just as gray and bland but not musty.

On the positive side it's on a quiet street about 50 yards from the Fountain of Trevi. Also, breakfast was a very full buffet.

The Santa Chiara deserves all the good press it gets on this site. It's located directly behind the Pantheon and mid way between Piazza Navona and the Fountain of Trevi.

Just to orient yourself. The Spanish Steps is app. a 15 minute walk from the Fountain of Trevi (north). Piazza Navona is a bit less than that going West. Pantheon is between Piazza Navona and Fountain of Trevi.

May 16th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Donna

Stayed there in Aug. 2000. We found our room clean and comfortable, but there was no view at all. Staff was helpful, but not necessarily friendly and desk staff spoke English very well.
Because of the location I would stay there again.