Things Go Better With Cochem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Still wondering if anyone has stayed at ALTE THORSCHENKE recently. I'd like some feedback on this hotel please. I have it narrowed down to this one or the one in Beilstein that RufusT recommended, the Hotel Haus Lipmann. I guess my worry about the later is that it is also recommended by Rick Steves, and I have found his hotel advice iffy, at best. So Rufus, if you see this post can you extoll the virtues of Haus Lipmann. I think I trust you more than Mr. Steves.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear tom:<BR>Check the Karen Brown website. I believe Haus Lipmann and a few others on the Moselle are listed on her recommendations. <BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>MichelleY
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BR><BR>Here's a note I received from an acquaintance who was at the Alte Thorschenke in Cochem 2 years ago:<BR><BR>&quot;We took the train to Cochem but ended up staying at the Alte Thorschenke Hotel just beyond the bridge. My wife caught a<BR>bad cold/flu and felt more comfortable with a hotel and private<BR>bath--so much for the budget! The Hotel was very nice and the people were great. Our original idea was to stay for a few days and move on but after feeling so comfortable in Cochem we stayed for 8 days and took day trips from there.<BR><BR>We stayed in a second floor room which was overlooking the &quot;side street/walkway&quot;? with no traffic, only heard the young children in the morning climbing the steps up to the childrens center. We ate only breakfast at the Hotel , the menu seemed a little pricy for dinner and there is a street cafe... We did not have a bad meal anywhere in Cochem.&quot;
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I had no idea that Hotel Haus Lipmann was a Rick Steves selection. So it turns out that we ended up in 2 Rick Steves places without knowing it. The other was Pension Seibel which was the worst place we stayed in on the trip--we found out that the Seibel was a RS place when Rick himself showed up at breakfast on our second day. Fortunately, Hotel Haus Lipmann had been recommended to us by German friends of ours from Cologne, so we had faith that it would be top notch--and it was.<BR><BR>Hotel Haus Lipmann is one of the nicest independent hotels we ever stayed in. Right on the river; excellent service; the owner/manager is friendly and helpful; our room was spacious and the bathroom was modern. Rooms were clean and pleasant. I can't speak highly enough of this place. The restaurant was very, very good as well.<BR><BR>I don't hesitate one bit to recommend it to anyone.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Rufus. I think I'll give it a try. Rick Steves, I noticed, also recommended Pension Accademia in Venice in his Italy book, and I loved that place when we stayed there a couple of years ago. Perhaps he finally realizes that some travelers like a little nicer amenities at the hotels where we stay. Or perhaps, since he's made so much money from his books and travel stuff, he can afford to stay at nicer places.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:02 AM

If you do decide on Hotel Haus Lipmann, ask for a room facing the river--all the rooms are nice, but I sure enjoyed watching the river and boats early in the morning (I usually wake up around 5 AM, my wife at around 7 AM, so I had plenty of time).