Anyone stay at the Dom Hotel in Cologne?

Aug 19th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Anyone stay at the Dom Hotel in Cologne?

The Dom, a 5-star hotel in Cologne, has a junior suite available for 160 euros for our stay Sept. 16. Has anyone stayed here? If so, I'd appreciate your comments.
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM

We stayed there about 5 years ago and loved it's location - a short walk to everything - the awesome cathedral and a good modern museum. The buffet breakfast was fabulous and served in a wintergarden type room with panoramic windows and cathedral views. (I think it is open air in nice weather.) The staff was helpful and friendly and the rooms nicely decorated. I think you will enjoy it!
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:12 AM

you will love it. great hotel, sounds like a good rate too.
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Haven't stayed there but I can tell you that they had a lot of construction work /remodeling going on a couple of weeks ago. So chances are it'll be even nicer when you guys get there.
( A quick research at tripadvisor.com gave me only good critiques for the hotel.)

Don't miss having a glass of Koelsch, the local beer, right next door at the Frueh brewery!

And haven't I given you restaurant recommendations for Cologne some time ago? Those really are nice restaurants, but: A couple of weeks ago my Mom had a short stop while changing trains in Cologne and so we met and went for lunch. She thought this one Italian restaurant looked good from the outside - and we had a terrible meal ... Too many tourist traps close to the Rhine in the Altstadt!

Saying hi from Cologne - Kascha
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Hello Mary_Fran,
I just took a look at the rates for this hotel at the Hotel Reservation Service and that www site told me that due to the construction work there'll be no rooms with a view of the Dom available until the 15th of September and the Atelier restaurant will be closed due to the same reason from 8/04 - 10/03.
Does that change anything about your plans? If you want to contact the hotel directly:
Fon: +49 (0) 2 21 20 24 - 0
Fax: +49 (0) 2 21 20 24 - 4 44
[email protected]
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Kascha,

Yikes!!! Thank you so much! I'll check it out. People like you are what make this site is so great!
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

We're arriving Sept. 16, and my confirmation says that it's a cathedral view. Hope I can rely on it. As for the restaurant being closed, I would have liked to have seen it, because it looks great, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks so much for the input.

MF
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Kascha! You did indeed make some fine recommendations for dining in Cologne. My apologies for not responding and thanking you, but your recommendations sent me off on a quest for information about the places you recommended, which sounded terrific, and by the time I'd finished reading websites and looking at pictures, I forgot where I'd started.

Oh, so easily sidetracked on the net am I.

Again thanks! Now once again, I'm off to track down info about your recommendations.

MaryFran
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:41 PM

Dear Mary_Fran,
if you're looking for anything sprecific (ethnic food restaurants, things to do, etc.) feel free to ask. Besides personal experience, I guess, it's easier to look things up here or to inquire locally and in German