the apartment Parisian Dream

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We're going to France this fall and were almost decided on reserving the apartment Parisian Dream ( www.parisiandream.com ) until I came across all the messages about other good places to stay. What are the chances anyone reading has stayed at Parisian Dream? It's in the Marais, which seems like a good part of town.

Advice anyone?

Sandy
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM

I just looked at Parisian Dream. To each his own, but I'd call it Paris Nightmare.
I wonder if they have furnished it since the pictures were taken. The stark living room consists of an incredibly uncomfortable looking small sofa and one chair. There is a modern floor lamp -- that's all. I wonder if you wanted to drink a glass of wine where you'd put your glass down? And do you just stack your reading materials on the floor? Can you picture yourself actually relaxing on that sofa? Or would it seem like sitting bolt upright in an office waiting for your appointment?
Wouldn't it be nice to have a nightstand on at least one side of the bed. I guess you put your alarm clock on the floor, which you probably couldn't even reach form the bed.
At least there is an actual shower and shower curtain in the bath, but it doesn't look like much room for more than the bare minimum of toiletries out.

I think this is a classic example of trying to put in furniture that looks pretty, but never mind the practicality or comfort.

I'm also curious what floor it's on. Is there an elevator, or is this a fifth floor walk-up? I'd sure have a LOT of questions before I rented this place. But that washer AND DRYER is a very welcome sight.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:50 AM

SandyP - take your time renting an apartment. there are hundreds of sites - just google paris apartment. we just rented one in the rue cler area. our requirements were enough room for two comfortably (at least 400sq ft, convenient to metro and tourist sites but in a neighborhood so that we could step out and get a cafe, etc, tv with cable and a bathtub (we are going in winter want to purchase some great french soap and soak in a warm tub!). we also looked carefully at the pictures to make sure there was adequate furniture. one apartment at a great price, look and location just had an open bed and two chairs but no sofa. we ended up paying $1000 for 8 days. still cheaper than a comparable hotel in the same area. take your time and good luck!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:54 AM

I revisited the website and I have a couple more questions for you. Where did you hear about this place? Is it brand new, do you know? If you got a recommendation for it, who from, or did you just happen upon it by browser.
One of my biggest concerns in looking now is that there is not a single confirmed reservation for all of 2005 (beyond Jan. 1 & 2). Most Paris apartments rely on their return visitors and personal recommendations. The owner of the apartment I've rented two years in Paris emailed me to check my schedule for summer of 2005 as nearly all weeks are already reserved. It seems suspicious there there are no rentals for this place. Unless it is brand new (in which case I'm really curious where you found out about it) it seems that somebody who stayed there would have rented it by now for a return visit.

I'm also a little curious why you came here to ask? Since this is your very first post here, I suspect you didn't read about the apartment here and I couldn't find anything on it by doing a search here either. Did you have any other Paris apartments you specifically wanted to ask about?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

I was intrigued by the replies to your post and visited the website. The apartment looks brand new, modern and squeaky clean. On the other hand, the furnishings are very sparse. I like the fact that there is a washer and dryer. If I were interested in renting this apartment, I'd like to see reviews by people who have stayed there, and I'd ask if there's an elevator if it's above the first or second floor (European). If you do stay there, please let us know how it turned out.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised that the chair shown in the bedroom (the ONLY piece of furniture apparent other than the bed itself) really isn't there. I'm willing to bet it is the same chair that is shown in the living room picture, moved to the bedroom for the benefit of the picture. Any idea where one would sit to be comfortable in this apartment?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:44 AM

To each his own, if Sandy was ready to book that, I guess it looked good enough to her. I think it looks dreadful because of the lack of comfort and furniture.

These folks advertised this web site on here before, as I recall (the owners of that apt.). If they didn't someone else asked about it, because I remember it distinctly from some time ago -- I remember the nice bed but lack of other furniture. It looks like a couple guys who have invested in an expensive piece of real estate but have no money to furnish it. Unfortunately, this is typical of what you find in the Parisian vacation rental market -- owners who don't care what a place is furnished like or whether it is livable by normal people. I've seen zillions of apts worse that this, but with the common elements of no comfortable place to site, poor lighting, etc. This one doesn't even have a decent refrigerator, it has one of those mini things (which means you probably can't have ice cream as they usually don't freeze well).

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

A person named AnneM posted a while ago advertising this apartment

search the forum for www.parisiandream.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM

Had a look at the site, and agree with others that the furnishings do seem a bit sparse. The kitchen and bath look compact but fine (no tub, if that is a concern) and it is nice to have a real dryer as opposed to the combo units that take hours per load. The location looks OK, close to lots of commercial activity. We rented an apartment on the other side of Bastille a few months ago (online at www.paris-vacation-rental.com) and loved the location. Questions I would ask prior to booking: What is the address? What is the surface area? Is the bedroom separate or is this a studio style? Are there closets or other storage? What floor in the building? Is there a lift? Are there telephone/TV/stereo?
The terms spelled out on the site seem pretty standard.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM

For a whole week in Paris, the living room looks too sparsely furnished and not particularly comfortable. I can't imagine coming home from a long day of sightseeing and finding nothing but those spindly chairs in that nearly empty room. I guess the owners want to make sure you don't do any entertaining!
The bed looks on the small side--find out the width. If it's only 140 cm wide, then it's too small IMHO, especially since it's about the only halfway comfortable piece of furniture in the apartment.
I looked at the pictures--where's the TV? The stereo/radio? Also, the bathroom looks just ok--I don't care for those "rain shower" shower heads (especially if the water pressure isn't good) and it looks like it doesn't have the handheld shower attachment that is customary in French bathrooms. Kind of weird.
The owners seem to particularly proud of the floors and those ARE nice. They seem to be the best thing about the place. The kitchenette looks ok for a short stay, although there's not much in the way of counter space for food prep or washing up.
Like the others here, I think you can do better. The owners seem to be cheap rather than minimalist. They would have had to spend only a few more euros to have provided a comfortable sofa, a wider bed, and a warmer or at least more practical atmosphere.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM

Sandy..don't know if this helps but I did a search in Google the address of the apartment is 6 cour Berard 75004. I have a Michelin Paris Plan and it is a small street right very close to the Place des Vosges as stated on their website. Also what looks interesting is that the street is a tiny street that dead ends..no thru traffic. If you want Sandy I can copy a page of the map and send it to you.
I could not find any feedback when I did a search in google. All I found was them advertising on various gay websites.
Hope that helps. Location seems to be great but I do wonder about how comfortable it is.....
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:49 AM

take a look at rentparis.com for comfortable alternatives.....sofas you can curl up on after a long day of touring etc........kitchen in your dream apartment is pretty standard for paris....actually pretty nice
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. A mix of positive and negative, but at least I have an idea of a few good questions to ask. Who would have thought that something like the number of square feet in the apartment is important? I just assumed that it would be more than a hotel room at the same price.

Thanks again!

Sandy
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting comments all. And for Sandy, the apartment vs. hotel decision has lots of parts. You're assuming you get more than a hotel room but at the same price. But what you could be faced with in a bad apartment rental - a physically uncomfortable situation, no friendly front desk staff to help you, no maid service, who do you call if that washer/dryer that seems a highlight to some doesn't operate. Are towels and sheets provided? I know many people who've rented in Paris, so I'm not trying to be discouraging, but (even without looking at the website) am thinking you can do better.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM

I was very skeptical about Parisian Dream after reading this thread but wrote to a former renter, Debra James and after wonderful email exchanges with Debra and the owners,I took a chance. We have just returned from a lovely ten night stay there. The couch is very comfortable and the place is as immaculate as it looks in photos. The owners are very accommodating and the price is incredible for its proximity to the Bastille Metro hub and walking distance from many of the major sites. Yes..my first time posting here but I have five years credibility on the cruise-addicts.com site as I have cruised more than land travelled in the last few years so hang out there. Just wanted to give credit where due to a great residence while in Paris. Much nicer to come home to than a small hotel room. And the washing machine is an added bonus!Glad I came here to research, found the apartment and took a chance....