Marais apartment suggestions

Sep 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Marais apartment suggestions

Hello everyone,
After falling in love with several of Paris Bestlodge’s apartments, I have just been informed by Thierry that he closes his apartments during the month of August. So I am again on the hunt for an apartment for our stay August 15-22, 2009 in Paris.

My preferences for an apt. for my husband and myself are as follows: location in south Marais area, real double bed (no sofa bed or futon), washing machine, studio okay, stairs okay. Windows and light a must. A balcony would be great but hard to find. 800 euro / week maximum.

The six I have found are as follows:
http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-apartment-rental LOPHI1
http://www.vrbo.com/174027
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p616779a
http://studio.provaction.com/apartment-selection.html Ephemere, Pastis or Elegant

I am leaning towards the first one-light and bright with a great view but 6 flights of stairs. According to the owner a lift should be installed by next year. But still very spacious.

The second and third seem nice. I emailed the vrbo owner about location of bathroom. The third doesn’t have a table but that should be okay. Just planning on light meals.

The fourth, fifth and sixth are from Paris Hideaways and seem nice also. Light and bright. The Ephemere and Elegant are the larger of the three.

My head is just swirling now with looking at so many sites. Does anyone here have any comments regarding these. I just want to be sure I’m not missing something very obvious.

Has anyone stayed at these or had any problems with the renting agency? I have not found any of them on the SlowTrav website. Any other recommendations??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Michele
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM

My husband and I stayed in a VRBO apartment in 2003. When we arrived, we called the designated number and one of the owners met us at the apartment. He was quite helpful and courteous, and was always just a phone call away in case we had a problem (which we did not!) The apartment was impeccably clean, beautifully furnished, and even had a bouquet of fresh flowers awaiting us on the dining room table. I would definitely rent from this group again!
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM

Hi Michele

We are renting the apartment at 6 rue Rambuteau through rentparis.com. Very inexpensive. I have most of the same requirements as yours, except we arent looking for AC as we are going in the winter.

I also need a real bed, and I like a washing machine.

We rented from them in Feb 07 and were very pleased. The funny thing is that the same apartment that 3 of us loved got a fairly negative review on slowtrav.
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM

We are going to Paris later this month and are using a rental agency we used with success in May 2008. Here is their website: http://www.paris-be-a-part-of-it.com/

We had a great experience. Their website is easy to manage and very informative. We are staying in a different apartment this time around (there will be 4 in our party instead of 2) so hoping for another great experience!

Jenny
Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM

We've rented many times in Paris and things that we would not compromise on are:

1. Over two stories, need a lift. You might think the 6 floors the first has (don't count on the elevator being installed, that's really iffy until it's actually in) aren't much but wait until the end of the day when you've been walking Paris for hours.

2. Separate bedroom. The main advantage over a hotel is the ability to go to a quiet place if one wants to read or watch tv and the other doesn't.

3. Fridge and microwave. You'd be surprised how many don't include a microwave.

4. Table with a couple of chairs. We like to play cards sometimes, but it's mainly there to have a cup of coffee in the morning, write plans down and spread out maps, brochures, etc.

There are lots of apartments out there. Good luck and have a great time!
Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Thank you for your replies.

MaryAnn111 - I love that apartment also. It is one of my top two. I'm so glad you had a good experience with them. I e-mailed them with questions and received a response just a few hours later.

Tuscanlifeedit - that is a darling apartment. I don't know how I missed it the first time through. Glad you had a good experience with them. Thank you

JennyJoline - that is another great site! Found a couple more options.

Thank you all for your help.
Michele
Oct 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Hi Michele, can you tell me which of the Parisbestlodge apartments you loved the most? Which area in Paris is your favorite? Thanks so much (hope you're going back in 2010!)
Oct 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Perhaps you didn't notice, but Maryann didn't say she stayed in that apt., just that six years ago she stayed in "a" VRBO apt, which is meaningless. Some people don't understand VRBO is not an agency, just a website with ads from private owners. Maybe she meant that one, but she didn't say so.

I didn't check out the last three but I also would never rent an apt on the 6th-7th floor without a lift. Also, you are going in August, it may be very hot on the top floor. I also noticed that first one doesn't even have a telephone, and I'm not sure I'd rent a place like that for security reasons or if I wanted to call a cab, or even just the fire/police. Now if you intend to get a cellphone for use there, that wouldn't matter, but I never do and wouldn't want that. I'm not crazy about the Ikea furniture, but it's okay if you don't mind that. I do sort of like the layout and light -- but it isn't that big, it's only 38 m2. I think the photos make it look bigger than it is.

I also would never rent an apt. without a table and chairs. I use them for lots of things, not that I cook big dinners. Now that one does have a large coffeetable, though, so if I loved it, that might be okay with me. I have rented ones without lifts and it didn't bother me, but my limit is 3-4 stories. I couldn't even see the size of the holiday rental one, I don't like owners who don't give you proper details.

those are my comments on things that struck me, but they look like decent apts.
Oct 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I used Paris Address this summer (in fact, we considered the very apartment you are looking at) and have nothing but positive feedback to report on our experience. We actually ended up in a great Paris Address apartment on Ile Saint Louis. There was no lift there and it was a 116 step climb. Not a problem and I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you think the stairs will be a problem, however, make a different choice.
Oct 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Oops, I just realized that the original post was LAST year. Sorry to be slow on the uptake.
Jan 9th, 2010, 09:39 AM

I am just bringing this "forum topic" back to light. We are going to Paris in October and are looking for an apartment as well. So far, we seem to like the Marais area as well. I read the same thing about most apartments - "quiet and courtyard view for the bedroom". Does anyone know the Marais district well to let me know if the roads "Blancs Manteaux" and "Rue du Temple" are quiet or busy streets? We are favouring one on Blancs Manteaux and are using an agency in Canada that has been recommended by someone we know well to be very respected in their offerings. Any comments? Thanks. PS - any comments in general on the Marais area are also appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Jan 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Hello, Byron1 - we've stayed in 2 apartments in the Marais and absolutely love the area - great for morning bakery runs and loads of neat little restaurants, plus the proximity to the River/Ile St Louis/left bank. Oh - and the renowned Sunday market at Place de la Bastille on Richard le Noir!! I'd love to recommend both of our happy choices but the first was sold since we used it, and the second was huge and a splurge and probably not what you're looking for - we were with a group of friends at that point. Both of the times (summer 2007, fall 2009), we've been on Blvd Henri IV, which is quite bustling, so bedrooms off the main road have been perfect. I did look at both of your streets using Google Maps - Blancs Manteaux is quite small, should be quiet I'd think. Rue du Temple is busier but not a "main" road.
My husband used to feel that the St Germain/left bank area was "his" neighborhood (direct quote!) but we now will look only in the Marais. I know you'll love it! (in fact, we're headed back October 2010 we hope, so maybe you'll post your experience!)
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Jo Ann, thanks for replying. What was your "splurge one"? We started with thinking St Germain but after a lot of reading, we started to gravitate towards the Marais. The one we are looking at is 1485 euros a week. We are going in October 2010 too!
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Jo Ann, further to what I just wrote above, any suggestions for "great little gem" restaurants? I have been investigating and people seem to like the Ile St Louis area. Thoughts? Thanks again.
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Bryon1, we stayed in an apartment on Rue des Archives, which is one block east of and parallel to Rue du Temple. Rue des Blancs Manteaux connects the two.

Rue du Temple is not as busy as Rue des Archives (it is not, for example, a bus route) and we found Rue des Archives reasonably quiet from mid-evening to mid-morning. If the apartment you are looking at is actually on Rue des Blancs Manteaux, I suspect you'll find it very quiet.

That neighbourhood is vibrant. There are lots of shops and services along Rue Rambuteau; there are numerous busy cafés. We liked staying in that area.

If you've looked at a map with Metro and bus routes, you'll see that you will be well connected. Rambuteau is your nearest Metro stop (line 11), but if you walk the few blocks south to Hôtel de Ville, you will have access to line 1. There are also many bus routes on Boulevard de Sébastopol and Rue de Rivoli.

This is the place we rented:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p210013

If there is anything else I can help you with, just ask.

Anselm
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM

By the way, have you seen the Paris apartment super thread?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

AA
Jan 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM

bookmark
Jan 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM

A friend rents his Marais apt. http://www.vrbo.com/103254

You might love the courtyard
Jan 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Anselm, your apartment looked great. We are light sleepers so that is why we are looking for a quiet street. We continue to look. Yes, we did look at the super thread as well.

Any suggestions for good value great food restaurants?

Where did you get your groceries? Was there a Mono Prix near by?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Byron1, we bought most of our groceries in the small specialty shops along Rue Rambuteau between Rue des Archives and Rue du Renard. There were at least a couple of green grocers, a cheese shop, a fish shop, and a couple of butchers. There was also a Franprix there, which was good for basics such as bottled water, butter, milk, and eggs.

I might mention, too that the best butcher we could find was on Rue des Archives on the west side of the street, just south of Rue des Blancs Manteaux. His shop had a red stripped awning that said "Artisan Boucher". Probably around #37 Rue des Archives.

There is a Monoprix at 95 Boulevard de Sébastopol (up near the intersection with Rue Réaumur), although we did not go in.

As for restaurants, we ate all over the city, but we did go to two places within a short walk of our apartment. L'Ambassade d'Auvergne at 22 Rue Grenier-Saint-Lazare offers traditional regional dining. It is not inexpensive. At the other end of the dining spectrum, there was the famous L'As du Falafel at 34 Rue des Rosiers ... fabulous schwarma and falafel, take out or sit down, brisk service, delicious food. Very inexpensive.

AA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO