Another Paris apartment question

Dec 27th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Another Paris apartment question

What do you think about this apartment? It's on VRBO (#74471). (www.vrbo.com - then enter in 74471).

This will be our first time to Paris, and I've been trying to research apartments/hotels. I've got another thread going re which district to stay, and lots of people so far recommend the 5th or 6th.

This apartment looks really small but clean. We got a quote from the owner of 480E for 5 nights. That's one of the least expensive I've found, so it makes me a little leery of it. We're also looking at a couple of hotels (Hotel Bonaparte -- thanks, Ira!! -- and Hotel Grande Hommes), but this apartment is half the cost.

So what do the Paris experts think?

Thanks so much for your help.
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:18 AM

I've looked at that same apt. , in fact I have it bookmarked. The location cannot be beat. If you do rent it please post on your return.
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Hi, Samsaf,

Have you read Dupher's recent thread?

He had a great apartment in Paris- not sure how big though.

I've had a look at this one and it looks fine - great position and price.

regards, ann
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:52 AM

It is cute, but quite tiny. It is about 15 x 14 feet, so slightly larger than your typical European hotel room. But, you need to think why you want an apartment and what your travel style is. If you intend to use the kitchen for anything other than keeping drinks and perhaps a chunk of cheese in the fridge and, there is absolutely no counter space. You do realize that when you are in the room you will be either sitting on the bed or at the 2 kitchen chairs. Do you want to read in bed? It looks as though there is only one bed lamp.

I am just pointing these things out so you are aware of them. For us and our travel style, it wouldn't work because we look for other things in an apartment. We rented a very reasonably priced one from a VRBO just into the 12th near the Place de Bastille. This made the price lower because it isn't such a sought after location, but the location was perfect for us.
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We really don't intend to cook in the kitchen, and just having the fridge is good for us. We're probably not going to be spending much time in the room, and so I think we're okay with a small room.(On the other hand, I don't want it to be claustrophobically small!) This apartment has white walls, which I'd think would make it seem a little bigger. I also love fact that we're right next door to a little cafe. We plan on walking most everywhere.

We are looking at an apartment rather than a hotel to save on costs, but if I don't think I'll like the apartment, we'd rather pay the additional cost to stay in a hotel.

I'm usually quite picky with regard to where we stay, and if the place is not clean, I won't be happy. I prefer clean, modern, bright, to overly decorated. Some of the apartments we've looked at look too much like a B&B to me (antiques, doilies, etc.), and I don't think I'd like that as much. I want a modern bathroom. For the kitchen area, just a fridge is fine.

The best thing would be to find a place with a balcony and view, but I haven't yet found one with a balcony that I really like in the area we like.

We're flexible with budget but would like to find a good deal. Our tickets were with frequent flier miles, so we can spend a little more on lodging if we have to.

Please keep all suggestions coming. After we decide for sure, I'll definitely post and let everyone know, and I'll also do a trip report with more details after we return. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help us.
Dec 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Hi Samsaf,

I stayed in one of the other places these owners have and it all went very well. Budget was a big thing for me but being safe and clean was important as well and it met those criteria. click on my screen name and you will find my Paris report from 2007.

another poster, fishee, has stayed in yet another apartment of theirs and you could track her report down also.

I say go for it! lynda