Search

Taxis in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxis in Rome

I have been reading a different stories about of taxi experiences in Rome. What is the best safeguard to not be overcharged by a taxi driver, especially since it is said that travel time within Rome, the city, is not that far.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:33 AM

IMHO this is bascially a lot of nonsense. Have never been cheated by a cab driver in Rome or anywhere else in italy. If you get a cab from the offical cab lines or stands you should have no problems at all. Just don;t go getting into random unoffical "cabs".

And I seem to recall that all of the cabs have official cards explaining the fares - distances, extras for luggage etc. so you can ask questions if you;re confused.

But, if, for some reason, you think you are being cheated - ask the driver to confirm the fare with someone at your hotel (or destination).
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:35 AM

At Termini train station, go to the official taxi stand (the line can be long) and only take a taxi that has the seal of approval of the city of Rome on it. (I realize that's more than a bit vague; I don't really remember what it looks like, but you'll see it on most of the taxis that pull up to the stand.)

Have your hotel call a taxi. But be aware that the meter starts ticking when the taxi leaves its stand to come to the hotel.

Neither method can, however, protect you from an unscrupulous driver.

For what it's worth: In my experience, about one in 50 Roman taxi drivers will try to overcharge you. If you know Rome and can speak Italian, you can usually reduce the charge even then.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM

I HAVE been ripped off by taxi drivers in Rome, and they are indeed the OFFICAL taxi's from taxi stands or that the hotel called.

The most come way for them to rip off a tourist is to pick you up then take an indirect and longer route to your destination. Another way is to add a surcharge, at a time or circumstance when a surcharge is not appropriate (surcharges are appropriate in some situations).

Just be aware of the general direction in which you need to go.

--Marv
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Here's a page showing what the official Comune di Roma taxi seal looks like:

http://www.comune.roma.it/mobilita/taxi_ncc/ades_cr.jpg