Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving Rome Termini, approx how much to take the taxi to Camp di Fiori area, watch out for taxi co.?, or private transfer?

Search

Arriving Rome Termini, approx how much to take the taxi to Camp di Fiori area, watch out for taxi co.?, or private transfer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a party of two arriving late morning on a Saturday and just trying to figure the best way to our hotel in the Campo di Fiori area. Was planning on taking a taxi...do we have to beware of what taxi we use? Anyone have an idea what the approximate cost would be?

Thanks.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Make sure you get a licenced cab at the cab stand on the right as you come out of the station. You may have to stand in line. Make sure the meter is set to 1. Even with luggage, it should be less than 10 Euro.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Check with your hotel. Some have a partnership with shuttles and can save you some money. I stayed at the Hotel Julia on my last trip and they did that, it cost me 12E. The train into the city center was 11E at the time, and would have required me to get from the center to my hotel either by taxi or metro. The shuttle dropped me off at the door. The hotel made the arrangements for me.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM

The fixed fare for taxis is 40E from FCO to central Rome. Just be sure you go to the taxi stand, bypassing the guys who offer their services inside the airport.

Licensed Rome taxis have the city seal (SPQR) on the door. Confirm with the driver before you get in that you will pay the 40E fare.

There are also several car services that meet you and charge about the same as the set taxi fare. Search here using Rome and limo, for recommendations from others.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Oops, I just saw Termini in your title -- under 10E.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Well I have always followed the "go to the official stand" advice but I think some hanky panky goes on there as well. One time while we were standing in line a person (wasn't sure if it was male or female, had long dark hair)waved us to the cab, took our bags and put them in the trunk, then wanted money. Seemd to be working with the cab drivers, maybe I should have just shooed him away but the driver sat in the cab while the other person "helped" us. I also thought that cab ride cost us too much - 20E to near the Piazza Nuvona - maybe they had the holiday meter on. I guess I could have refused to pay or reported them but I just filed it in "lessons learned" - not sure what I would do differently next time tho! Surely didn't spoil our trip, cab rides are always a little dicey IMO.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Camp id Fiori is accessible by bus or train. If you take a cab, just watch for the "slow count" where the change is given slow, so that the receiver thinks it's finished 1/2-way through, and the counter keeps the balance.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM

do a search on private transfer Rome airport to hotel or some such thing. There's a link out there with lots of info. We used a private transfer for E35 and it worked great (to Campo di Fiori)
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't count on it being less than 10E from Termini. It might be, but I think you'd be lucky. There is an extra charge for luggage, and it depends a lot on the traffic. Also on how many one-way streets are involved once you get close to Campo de' Fiori.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM

A couple of years ago we did the same thing. We took a licenced taxi with a meter etc. However somehow the meter became obscured and then when he turned it around to face us it read 27E. Somehow he had altered the meter, goodness knows how but as we had no idea how much it should have cost we couldn't really argue. You just know you have been ripped off in a major way and it gives you that sick in the stomach feeling. Be very aware and be prepared to fight. Maybe get your bags out first and then start the negotiations otherwise they have you over a barrel. Good luck, you will need it. Schnauzer
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Another less expensive and easy option can be to take the train from Fiumicino airport to Termini train station and, from there, a taxi to Campo dei Fiori.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:14 AM

I'm sorry. When I read the title of your post I thought I'd read "arriving at Fiumicino Rome". Your plan is to do exactly what I'd just suggested.