How do I get from FCO airport to Westin Excelsior Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I will be arriving with my husband in Dec at the FCO airport in Italy.

How do I get to the Westin Exclesior Rome hotel?

Can someone please assist with options for:

Fastest but cost efficient. I know that taxis are expensive in Rome so please do not suggest taxis.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM

Check with hotel and see if they offer shuttle service.

It has been some years since we were in Roma but found a driver at the airport, he offered a ride at a price we could live with and we arrived without stress at our hotel.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM

Taxi fares in Rome are regulated by law, so no out of the way long trips. The fare from FCO is 40 Euro, a bit less expensive than the private shuttles.If you want a shuttle limoservicerome is the best,

"The city of Rome has just announced a very convenient, not to mention much needed, rule regulating the pricing of taxis to and from the airport and the city of Rome. The law went into effect on October 1st and stipulates that taxis to and from the center of Rome (within the Aurelian city walls) to Ciampino Airport cost 30 euros while taxis for Fiumicino cost 40 euros. This price includes baggage and there is a limit of four passengers per taxi. There is also now a separate taxi line at the Termini train station. This law replaces the meter system and will strictly regulate the sometimes inflated prices Roman taxi drivers charge for trips to the airports. Countless tourists have complained about the roundabout trips, astronomic fees and various add ons for baggage and extra passengers they have experienced in Roman taxis the last few years. This law will guarantee that the millions of unsuspecting tourists that come to Rome each year will not be marred by that first memory of being ripped off. If you are interested in taking a taxi from either of the airports, look for the white vehicles with a taxi sign on the roof, clearly marked on the sides and back with a number. Anyone declaring themselves a taxi driver but does not have the correct vehicle does not have the proper authorization from the city and will probably charge you however much he sees fit."
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM

That is great news, avalon!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
ira

Hi B,

A cab will be about 50E.

A shuttle van will be about 35E.

The train from FCO to Rome TE will be 23E. From there, you can take the Metro line A to Barberini and walk up the very chic Via Veneto with your luggage.

You are staying at the Westin and are skimping on one cab ride?

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

Thanks for the reply.

Haha! Yes, I am staying at the Westin because I can get to enjoy it for the whole duration of my stay. As to how to get there, it really doesnt matter.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM

The cost of a taxi from airport to town is minimal in comparison to the cost of the hotel you're staying at. And cabs in Rome are not expensive versus other major cties.

Public transit - a shuttle or train into Termini and then cab to the hotel - will be less - only you know if the difference is worth the aggravation of hauling your luggage around on the train.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi B,

> I am staying at the Westin because I can get to enjoy it for the whole duration of my stay.<

Then start your stay off right.

Take a cab.

You can make up the difference by skipping one dessert or a drink at the bar at the Westin.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM

Hello bottlenoses, I am very familar with where you are staying. I wouldn't hassle with the train and the metro and than hauling luggage up to your hotel. I would take a taxi.

Note avalon's post..the taxi will cost you 40euro for the two of you and your luggage. Very worthwhile in my opinion especially after your long flight. Wishing you a beautiful time in Italy.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:29 AM

Hi Avalon - do you (or anyone else) know if there are "maxi" taxis at Fiumicino airport - i.e. taxis that can take 5 people and 5 suitcases? If so, does the new ruling govern how much they can charge per trip?

We need to get from Fiumicino to Via del Viminale in December and were thinking of taking the Leonardo express to Termini and then walking to the hotel which is just a few blocks away, because we have heard that taxis only take 4 people, and I was concerned about all the stories I had heard about taxis ripping tourists off.

However, two of our party of five are young (12 and 10), so a taxi would be easier than them managing their suitcases on the train, as long as we can find a taxi that will fit all 5 of us and is governed by the new ruling.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM

As many of us have said over the years, the best, most reliable and arguably the least expensive solution is Rome Shuttle Limousine

1-3 people = $35 euros
4-7 people = $50 euros

Door to door service. Mercedes cars or vans. They are waiting for you when you exit customs. They will pick you up at any crazy hour you want, just about anywhere in Rome.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:14 AM

I wish to recommend, and I have nothing to do with them, a wonderful service with prices under what most hotels charge, they are excellent ( two recent experiences ) both ways to the airport and from the airport.
this is whaat the card says

Business Car Service by Gianni Lucarino and sons
24 hs
Autonoleggio
Vetture e Minibus with conducente
cell +39 340 4123621
Cell +39 349 5979551

Fax +39 06 76965070
[email protected]

This a tipical family enterprise. Honest reliable that is why I am for them. And because of their good rates and good service. Have fun.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:15 AM

the airmail is all the sentence with a _ between
gianni and lucarino
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:19 AM

To correct Ira's post above, Rome Shuttle Limos are not, contrary to their name, shared shuttle services. The company uses private cars and the driver will meet you inside the terminal. The price is 35 euro for 1-2 persons from the airport to central Rome.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM

bottlenoses I am so exicited for you!

May I please recommend Romecabs. Stefano is the owner and he is wonderful. Check out his webpage.

We used him many times while in Rome and We recommend him to all our friends. And they thought his service was top notch as well.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM

If you decide to use a taxi, do be sure that it is a licensed Rome city cab, with the SPQR shield on the door. And confirm with the driver before you settle in that you will pay the fixed 40E fee (plus very optional tip). Cabs licensed in other locations may also offer to take you, but the same trip could cost a fortune on their meters.