Search

Switzerland or Ireland--I Need Beauty!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland or Ireland--I Need Beauty!

Hello folks,
Okay, here's the deal. This year, I turn 40 and graduate with an MA. Needless to say, I want to celebrate! Next spring, I want to hop a plane to someplace beautiful so that I can relax and be in awe of my surroundings and interact with the locals. I love to hike, bike, trek, and eat! I want fresh air, wonderful smells, sights and sounds (the things I lack in Los Angeles) I have been viewing pictures of Switzerland and Ireland and they both appear to have jawdropping scenery. I cannot figure out which one to visit. If you had a choice between the two, which place would you go? I really am torn between the two!
Thanks!
Ps. I viewed pictures of several countries and was finally able to narrow it down to these two places.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM

When in the spring? The month may determine which one would be better to visit.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:05 AM
lawchick

Ireland if you want to interact with the locals.

I'm Irish and I love Ireland but I think Switzerland is more beautiful, but the natives are generally not as friendly as the Irish.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM

I also think the travel timing is important. I've been in Switzerland as early as the first part of April and "Spring" there (at the lower elevations) seemed to be a couple of weeks behind the mid-Atlantic area in terms of flowers blooming, etc., but we found the weather to be fairly mild.

Switzerland will undoubtedly cost more than a trip to Ireland once you GET there but IMO the country is far more varied, scenery-wise than Ireland might be but that's a personal and subjective feeling.

As to interacting with the "locals" I also suspect the Swiss may be more reserved but realistically, just how much "interaction" do you really think you are going to have?

Reserved or not, the Swiss can be very friendly, especially in bar situations so I think it depends on where, and how you want to "interact" quite honestly.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:34 AM

If you go to Switzerland in the spring, consider making the Ticino your base for at least part of your trip, as the weather is likely to be sunniest and mildest there and the scenery is gorgeous and the food is terrific. (However, there's a definite Italian feel to the area, don't go expecting the stereotypical "Swiss Miss" kind of place).
If the weather cooperates, then do day trips to Luzern etc. for a German/Swiss experience.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Greetings folks,
Please excuse this post if it has already shown up 2 times. I am having challenges with posting messages.

IrishEyes, I will travel in the month of May and have 3 weeks to spare. I want to relax and suck in as much nature and utter beauty as possible.

By interacting with locals, I mean chatting with them at pubs, coffee shops, markets, hiking trails--you know, just talk to locals about their country and get their advice on how to make the most out of my stay. I want to stay in cottages, farms, and guest houses. I really want to endulge in the culture. I am just having a heck of time deciding on which country to visit. From what I gather, Switzerland has the most beauty and Ireland has the friendly locals. Both places appear delightful and I have an extremly difficult choice to make.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I have never been to Ireland, but have been to the Ascona area of Switzerland and found it breathtaking!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, the first problem with chatting with locals in pubs in Switzerland is unless you speak French, German, or Italian... well I'm not sure how you'd expect this to happen -lol!

Switzerland is incredibly beautiful (been 5 times), but never to Ireland to compare the two for you.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM

I have been to both. Ireland has the friendliest people, and the scenery is not bad. The Swiss are a little standoffish, but it depends on language skills.

The mountains of Switzerland are beautiful of course.

I think it depends on what you want.
Give me the Irish for conversation.
Never had any problem getting a chit chat underway in Ireland.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Well folks,
Based on your responses, I guess I have to decide what is most important to me-- friendly locals or outstanding scenery.
Thanks again for your feedback. As for me, it is back to the drawing board.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Just to put a different slant on this. The Alps in Switzerland will probably still be there when you get around to planning a second trip.
Part of the scenery and the charm in Ireland are the thatched roofed/stone cottages, the multiple road signs at roundabouts (some in Celtic), etc. When we went in 2001 we were glad we went when we did. The high tech prosperity was causing some to tear down their old homes, using the stone on the facade of their new (semi-American looking) homes right next door.
i.e., some of the scenery you want to see in Ireland may not be around as long as the Alps.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM
DAX

If you're looking for beauty, the answer is Switzerland. You just can't beat the natural beauty of Switzerland. I've stopped counting how many times I've been there (more than a dozen times) and never got tired of it. Many sceneries are so breathtaking that they completely sucked all your troubles away.

I found the Swiss younger generation to be outgoing whereas the older ones are more reserved/shy unless you speak their local language. I don't find them stand offish or aloof but I suppose it depends on how you judge them.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hello folks,

I have decided on Switerland because I am craving nature and beauty so badly and simply must get it out of my system! However, Ireland will be my 2008 trip. So now I am all set for the next 2 years in terms of my travels.
Thanks everyone, and when I go, I will post a trip report for you.
Cheers...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Remember when you're talking about "locals" in Switzerland that covers French-, German-, and Italian- speaking people. The different regions have very different feel to them and the typical residents.

I found the locals in the Lac Leman towns polite in the extreme. Friendly is not the word as they are more formal and reserved. But I've never seen more pleasant smiles or been "bonjour"-ed and "merci avoire"-ed by shop keepers and merchants anywhere, as I have in Vevey and Montreux.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I have been to both and I think Switzerland is the most beautiful place I've ever been to. But to be fair, I didn't get that far out of Dublin when I was in Ireland. I also found the Swiss people to be quite friendly and helpful. And I only knew my usual "please and thank you" in German.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Sounds like a good choice. So where in Switzerland do you plan to make your base(s)?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Switzerland wins for natural beauty. As for people being friendly - we have never found them unfriendly in any part of Switzerland - or had trouble conversing in English about basics in any of the language areas.

But then we were doing just basic tourist speak - not trying to make new best friends. Obviously links between Ireland and the US are much stronger, and it's much easier to hold in-depth conversations with other native english speakers.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

greetings folks,
Thanks to you, I am so excited about my trip to Switerland. I am going to the book store to purchase a guide book. I will also purchase a phrase book and CD on the German language (I already have books and CD's for French and Italian). Learning a few phrases will be part of the fun--I cannot wait.
BTilke-
I was thinking about basing myself in Zurich, but when I downloaded pictures of Ticino, I almost fell out of my chair at such loveliness! I see what you guys mean about the beauty of this pristine country. So now I have 3 weeks and want to visit Ticino, Zermatt, Geneva, Berne, Lugano, Interlaken and Lucern. I hope this is possible.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Three fabulous weeks in Switzerland??? Ah, the envy might truly kill me!

My husband and I went for a week and just adored it. It was great for hiking etc (I was 7-months pregnant then, so the biking was out). It was far more expensive than Ireland, but for an active and relaxing vacation, I think you chose well!

There are some serious Switzerland experts here, so don't forget to post when questions arise.

Happy travels!
--MP