Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the big draw to Switzerland and why does it seem to be everyone's favorite country??

Notices

What is the big draw to Switzerland and why does it seem to be everyone's favorite country??

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Leslie

I've been to approximately 13 countries in Europe, but NEVER Switzerland. With this said, it seems to me that this is actually the favorite country of all who have been there and I'm curious why? I'd like to return to Europe in May or June, 2003 and thinking that at 59 maybe it's time I visit Switzerland. Give me a reason why....Leslie

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM
John G

Switzerland is probably one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to (and I have been to alot). The mountains, rivers, forests, fields of flowers, quaint timber houses, etc. are all ethereal. Switzerland is also an extremely clean country where you will see people come out at dawn to scrub the sidewalks in front of their homes and businesses.

The Swiss are also very straightlaced people and everything is done with effieciency and order.

Having said all this, I don't like Switzerland that much. I find it to be a little too cookie-cutter for my tastes, and I find the Swiss to be rather aloof.

Another thing I don't like about Switzerland is that there is not a cohesive language. Depending on which canton you are in, you could be speaking French, German, or Italian. I think this is why Switzerland an ethos of language that binds the people of one culture together.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:46 PM
John G

The last sentence should read: This is why Switzerland LACKS and ethos of language that binds people of one culture together.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:48 PM
mh

It is not my favorite country and I live 2 hours away. The swiss tend to be a bit arrogant and very business like. I am alright with that attitude, it is the cost of things that I find prohibative. There are many other countries near me that I find much more enjoyable. But to each his own.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Ursula

Very interesting, indeed.

For obvious reasons, I will refrain from any comment here.

Just wondering how you would take it, if I gave my comment in the US Forum about the US and the Americans.

And please, don't generalize!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Nola

I've got 3 reasons:
-Chocolates
-Cheese
-Secret bankaccounts

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Paige

I LOVE Switzerland!! The scenery there is spectacular!! If you like nature and hiking, you'll probably like Switzerland. It may be a little expensive, but the quality (food, hotels, public restrooms, etc) is consistently good. They have wonderful cheese dishes and fabulous chocolate!! Most everyone speaks English so it's really easy to get around. And there are lots of nice Swiss people.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:06 AM
trekercat

Switzerland is my favorite country to visit, in fact I can't to go anywhere BUT there anymore. I dally with the idea of going to Italy or Austria or France, but then I say why? I'd rather spend my time in Switzerland. I stay up in the mountains in the small villages, (Zinal, Evolene, Champex, Lenk, etc) and hike everyday. It is so incredibly beautiful, clean, and peaceful. The cows, the mts., the cheese, the chocolate, the sausages, the tidiness and orderliness! When I retire, I'm moving there permanently.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:08 AM
jw

I don't know where to begin. If you have time, take a look at some of the postings at the "Support Group for thos who Love Switzerland" parts I and II.

Switzerland is a country of fascinating contrasts of language and architecture and cuisine and personality. It's beauty is both breathtaking and intimate. The Swiss people I've met there have been gracious, and those I've come to know are warm and generous friends. I always return from Switzerland feeling like my layers have been repaired or regenerated, and I always leave a little piece of my heart there. J.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:10 AM
adam hayden

Actually, no you're not. The authorities won't let you move there unless, well, unless you're Swiss and are moving back.

They're not in the EU, they stay neutral, let any criminal use their banking facilities and abhor non-whites. Some areas of the country onyl gave women the vote in 1990.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Elsa

I LOVE Switzerland for all of the above reasons. I think it's great that they are generally so "straight laced" and efficient.

Last year we were at Zurich airport when Swiss Air went bust. As you can imagine there was much pandamonium with peopled who had checked in, others waiting to do so, people in the air waiting to land, and many like ourselves making connections. There was luggage ALL over the place. However, the ground personal (who COULD have just gone home and were not getting paid to stay on) were trying to be so helpful. Before we knew it, water and sandwiches - all FREE - were being handed out. The Swiss people were so embarrassed about what had happened and also how "guests" in their country were so inconvenienced. You certainly wouldn't find that attitude in a couple of their neighboring countries - or many other countries, for that matter.

Switzerland is BEAUTIFUL and the people are lovely.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Ben

It is great to hear all the wonderful raves about Switzerland. But what about the inaction during WWII and concealment of Jewish wealth in the banks of Switzerland? It doesn't count anymore because the travelers of the world cannot get enough of this country??? The problem is we idolize governments and their people and don't make them pay for their injustice. Switzerland is a country of cowards!!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:49 AM
sue

Where did anyone say they idolized the Swiss government. If we stayed out of every country that's committed some injustices then we wouldn't travel anywhere (including the US).
We just came back from 2 weeks in Switzerland and I can't wait to go back. Its a beautiful country and I've always felt welcome there.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:52 AM
xxx

If I were Russian, Switzerland certainly would not be my favorite country right now. Switzerland is beautiful, but it feels sterile. Not all the people are cold and aloof, but enough. My non-white friends who have visited Switzerland said they felt true negative vibes.
I've spent some time in Switzerland, but Leslie, it's not at the top of my list. I'd rather visit France, Italy, Austria, the Scandinavian countries or Scotland.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Nola

Dear Ben. In that case i must be a coward too. I'm a 28 year old swiss girl and i would not want to live anywhere else on this planet right now. So maybe you can persuade me to move to the great country where you live in - and tell me, is there everything so perfect like you are? So where are you from?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Ben

Sue: The people are the government and you cannot wash away the greed and guilty of a government with some standard liberal statement (including the US). I know this is a travel forum but this country must be taken to task for it's past. I think I vented enough.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:00 AM
xxx

Oh God, not WWII comments again! Dude, that was 60 years ago. Life goes on, things have changed.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Ben

There were alot of 28 year old men and women walking in Europe in the 30's and 40's who walk no more. Your age and time have nothing to do with what you owe a race of people.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Grasshopper

Just got back. After a few Swiss dabblings in the past I had the impression that Switzerland lacked "soul". I just spent more time in Ticino and the Vaud and found out how wrong I was.

First of all, I must say the two regions have significant differences in feel and culture (although both have incredible scenery) and I learned that it is impossible to make a global statement about the Swiss. In the Vaud people felt very much like they do in a lot of regions of France, but perhaps a little more friendly and a lot less impatient with my pitiful attempts at French.

In Ticino I found my perfect balance of Italy without the problems of Italy. (Before Italy fans attack... I am a true Italiaphile). I loved speaking my less pitiful Italian and people in Locarno didn't speak enough English to just resort to English so they had to tolerate me. People had all the warmth and enthusiasm of Italy, the hotel was immaculate and friendly, food was fabulous, wine was even more fabulous and the hiking, biking, strolling, sailing, swimming, and exploring offered a incentive to make many more trips.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Nola

I know that Ben, my grandfather (he is 92) had to do military service at the swiss/german border in Basel at the river Rhine during that time, my grandma with five little kids stayed home and it was a poor time too here. Well that's over now, i don't know if you've heard it, but Switzerland did and is still paying a lot of money - unfortunately most of it goes to american lawyers. So tell me now - where are you from? Maybe i'd like to bash on your country as well....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO