Reload this Page >

Sorrento Restaurant Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Phil

Can anyone suggest a few good restaurants in Sorrento that are reasonably priced? Also any local specialties worth trying?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Phil

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:57 AM
Vincenzo

Phil,<BR>it depends from the period too, several restaurants close January and February and, and what's your idea about Sorrento: only the town or the surrounding area, too ?<BR>In the town I suggest Il Buco, not cheap, but excellent and Filippo, cheap and very good.<BR>Escape from famous names like Il Parrocchiano and Caruso: too much expensive.<BR>Good enough and in the central square, Canonico.<BR>The best restaurants are in Penisola Sorrentina but not in the town of Sorrento, if you like I can suggest it, too.<BR>Feel free e-mail me, no problem.<BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Capo

Hi Phil. We were there this past March for a weekend and really enjoyed the reasonably priced meal we had at the Sorrento Inn, in the heart of the old town, on Via San Cesareo.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:40 AM
barb

I was there in Oct. Stayed at the La Minerveta and the restaurant there was outstanding. Really good food, beautiful view of the Bay and wonderful service. It's just up the hill from town, to the north, short walk from the center of town.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Ken

Pizzeria Da Franco - great antipasto and the best pizza in Italy. And a real "local" crowd.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Phil

Thanks for all your responses. I will be in Sorrento in February staying at the Hotel Bristol and can't wait to try your recommendations!

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any others? Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I second Franco's pizza, it was unreal. It is often filled with locals because it doesn't close down in the afternoons like everything else does.<BR><BR>I've commented on a few restaurants in the Fodors Restaurant section of this site for the Amalfi Coast, most notably Antica Trattoria and La Lanterna. Parrucchiano and Zi'ntonio's reviews on this site are also pretty accurate.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
L'Osteria del Buonconvento on via Donnorso. Although a menu is posted outside, when we sat down the chef/owner came to our table, sat down and asked us what we wanted to eat. He told us what was fresh, especially fish, and then went off to personally prepare our meals. We were a little nervous at first -- what had we gotten ourselves into? what was this going to cost? -- but the food was great and the cost was very reasonable. The atmosphere was very casual and friendly. There was a singer/guitarist who played some familiar, some not familiar songs. Sometimes the restaurant staff joined in the singing. Just a wonderful experience, and we ate there twice.<BR><BR>Da Gigino on via Degli Archi. Not as special as L'Osteria, but the food was good.<BR><BR>Il Pazzo at the corner of via Tasso and via Dell'Accademia. I think I liked this one more than Da Gigino, but it may just have been what I ordered. <BR><BR>As far as local specialties, the one I remember most is the mixed fried fish. The Italian name escapes me.