Galway-pub/food suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions for a pub with trad. music and pub grub for one night stay in Galway (at Jury's)...it will be a Saturday night in June.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
cd

Hi Chip<BR>Being at Jury's you are right in the heart of downtown. You'll have no problem finding food and a pub. We were at a great Pub close to Jury's, cannot remember the name, but you'll have no problem, we met a couple from the UK and six of us played cards, listened to music and drank all night! Have fun!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:58 PM

You'll have lots of options for trad on a Saturday night in Galway in June. Do some pub-hopping and ask local folks. We liked Monroe's, just across the river from Jury's. Slightly off the tourist trail.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:04 AM

The Quays pub is the biggest and probably most well known. Most pubs do not serve food after 8 so check with them. Monroe's is my suggestion as well. There is trad music and food and get there early to get a table. This is my best choice, but also just wander around and pop into places that look interesting.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:15 AM

In the pedestrian mall area there's one called Taaffes and another just across the street called An Caeli (or something like that). Both have 'Trad' Irish music. I have had 'bar food' at the latter - didn't particularly care for Taaffes. I will be changing buses in Galway on 20 May and I plan to have lunch at Garvey's, right on the corner across from Galway Bus / Train station
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Ate at a resturant just next to Jury's (KC something...?) and I can't say I'd go back. Small amount of &quot;OK at best&quot; food for large dinner prices. <BR><BR>Also had breakfast (Jury's prices didn't include breakfast, can you believe it???) at a cafeteria style place at the far, far end of the shopping street towards Eyre Square (sorry I can't think of the name; I'm just too jet lagged right now). My biggest complaint was sitting at the furthest end of the No Smoking section and being right next to, not one, but two groups of people smoking away. <BR><BR>Advice for that place is to go for the freshly fixed food rather than anything pre-packaged (ie sandwiches). They just aren't worth the money.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Wendy
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Try www.galway.net. for some leads. We liked the Quays for a pub downtown, although others have said it's just another typical superpub without real &quot;authenticity&quot; (whatever the hell that is). Food was good, music was better, and I'd rate it in my top 10 anytime (we hit over 50 in our month in Ireland last November).
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, davidess(or anyone else)...what are your top 10?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Chip, here they are--in no particular order. We spent our entire month in Dublin, SW Cork, Kerry and Clare.<BR><BR>Moroney's (Mullagh, Co.Clare)<BR>O'Sullivan's (there's another name to this as well) (Kenmare)<BR>The Quays (Galway)<BR>Doheny's (Dublin)<BR>Stag's Head (Dublin)<BR>Murphy's (Dingle)<BR>O'Sullivans (Crookhaven, Co.Cork)<BR>Fastnet (Goleen, Co.Cork)<BR>Atlantic (Lahinch)<BR>Ciaran's (Ennis)<BR><BR>Y'r welcome.<BR><BR>DES
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Favorite pubs (No.2)<BR><BR>Sorry, Chip--two others that just have to be mentioned, in case you get there:<BR><BR>Crosses of Annagh (halfway between Mullagh and Miltown Malbay in Co. Clare)<BR><BR>Kelly's (or O'Kelly's--damned if I can remember) Kilrush (Co.Clare)<BR><BR>and another: the Bloody Stream (Howth--at the north end of the DART)<BR><BR>There are so many (in fact we didn't hit a bad one, although the food in the Brazen Head, Dublin was inedible).<BR><BR>DES