Search

Sorrento-Amalfi Coast Daytrip ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento-Amalfi Coast Daytrip ?

Hi all,

We will be in Sorrento for 3 days this June, and are planning on spending a day on the Amalfi Coast. We are not too fond of driving, and are looking for alternatives to driving ourselves.

I've read a lot about the SITA bus service, but unfortunately, have not been able to find any information (routes, schedules) in English (their website appears to be in Italian).

Can anyone recommend a good way to spend a day along the AC - what towns to visit, what bus companies or private tour operators to use, what should we do in each town, are the SITA buses hop on-off type (i.e. can we stop in a town, roam around, get on the next bus?)etc. We will start from Sorrento and need to return back to Sorrento that night - any help with this will greatly help !

Any tips on how to spend a day along the AC will be very helpful. Thanks in advance !
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM

You can take a boat to Capri, have lunch, and then a boat to Amalfi (the town) and catch a bus back to Sorrento. It is very obvious in Amalfi where the buses leave from. The advantage of this plan is that you get to see some of the coastal Amalfi towns from the sea, which is quite nice, then take the cliffside road itself back to Sorrento.

Or you could simply take a bus to Amalfi (the town), have lunch and return. Doing so would guarantee that you've see the best of the Amalfi drive. If you wanted to be more adventurous, you could take a bus to upscale Ravello after lunch in Amalfi, to see even more spectacular views plus gardens, or walk from Amalfi (or bus) to the fishing village of Atrani at sea level and enjoy the quaint shops. Then take the bus back to Sorrento.

If you want to spend some money (about $40 per hour), hire a driver to drive you to Ravello, and to drive you back after sunset.

If you just want a taste of the Amalfi, you can simply take a bus to beautiful Positano, have lunch, then bus back.

Yet another option is to take a train (running inland) to Salerno, which is the southernmost point, get on a bus to Sorrento, and experience the entire coastline, getting off at Atrani or Amalfi or Positano.

If you decide on boats or buses, why not wait until you get there and ask your hotel for help about what kind of ticket to buy once you've decided where you'd most like to go?

If you want to arrange for a driver in advance (advisable in June), contact Benvenuto Limousines. You can find them with a web search on the web.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nessundorma. We have a full day reserved for Capri, so would like to spend an entire day on the AC. Your idea of going to Salerno sounds good - we'll look into this some more.

One more question - you say "If you wanted to be more adventurous, you could take a bus to upscale Ravello after lunch in Amalfi" - we love being adventurous ;-) but am not sure why this would be adventurous, can you please help explaining this ?

On the AC, would Amalfi, Ravello and Positano be good towns to visit ? Within the towns, are there any must-do and must-see things ? We love walks and hikes, especially one along the coast with views of the water, etc.

I am guessing that if we leave very early, we should get a good 6-8 hours for exploring the AC. Does that sound right ?

Any recommendations on what we can do in these towns ?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:31 PM

Well, some people can't handle more than one destination and back at a time, so an adventure to them is tossing in a third to a more remote location in a country where they don't speak the language and haven't taken a bus since they were in high school!

But you are right: There is nothing difficult about getting to Ravello using public transporation. And it is worthwhile, I think. I don't believe in "must sees" but the secluded position of Ravello, its gardens and its deep wealth make it a very pristine and rather special spot on the Amalfi coast. Of all the towns on the Amalfi, this is the spot I would pick to spend the bulk of my day trip on the AC.

There is a company called "Amalfi Walks" and if you love hikes, seeing the Amalfi on a hilke might be a very special way to do it, because you could be given a map that would take you into the nature of the Amalfi, above the touristy parts of it, but with extraordinary views. If you can't find Amalfi Walks on the web, ask over at the Slow Travel website for an e-mail address.

If that doesn't quite fit your plans, this might be a plausible itinerary using public transportation: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi in the morning. See the church there, and walk around the town a bit, although you will quickly discover it is rather touristy as a day tripper. Get on a bus in time to have lunch in Ravello. (I suggest Da Salvatore for it's fab views, but it is somewhat pricey unless the pizzeria is open.)

After lunch, walk to one or more of the town's famed gardens. (Check your guidebook and map.) Head back toward Sorrento by 4 or so but get off the bus in Positano. Have a drink someplace you can see a nice view and watch the sunset. I'd recommend Le Sireneuse if you are willing to spend $20 bucks for a martini. But there are probably less extravagant options!

Have dinner in Positano too, if you like -- just check to make sure you know when the last bus leaves. Or after sunset, you can head back to Sorrento for a dinner with the great unwashed -- of which I proudly count myself!

If you get an early enough start from Sorrento, you could probably be through with Amalfi in time to walk (20-25 minutes) to Atrani, and catch the bus from there to Ravello. My one hesitancy in recommending this in June is that I think a lot of people get on the Ravello bus in Amalfi, before it stops in Atrani, and you may not be able to get on the bus.

(Also, please understand that, on this level, your walk to Atrani will be along the same road trafficked by buses and cars -- without much of a shoulder.)

Whatever you choose, you will have a fair amount of sunlight in June. If you leave early in the morning, you will have a lot of hours. There is only one motor road in AC, so when you see it the morning, you don't need to see it again after dark. That means you can leave the last of your Amalfi vistas after sunset to head back to Sorrento.

buon viaggio!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM

Oh -- I wanted to add that training down to Salerno and then wending your way by bus back to Sorrento, with a stop for lunch or drinks, is probably not what you are looking for, now that I know you like to walk and want the the most dramatic views. That's more for people who want to sit back and leave all the work to somebody else.

I suggest you focus on Ravello.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:19 PM

Negotiate a fair price with one of the taxi drivers in Sorrento for a full day touring the coast all the way to Amalfi. they know where to take tourists and they will wait while you walk around or have lunch or gelato, then drive you back to Sorrento. Hassle free and the best way to do it, imho.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Out of sheer ignorance - during the peak summer month of June, what would be a "fair price" to offer a taxi driver ? This sounds like a good option, so will appreciate thoughts on what a good deal might be.

Thanks !
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:05 AM

There are lots of drivers who would be delighted to give you a tour of the Amalfi Coast. Two I'd recommend are:
Giovanni Gargiulo of tourofitaly.com, and Francesco Marrapese at [email protected] We've used the Gargiulos ( father and son) many times, and been really happy with them. Francesco has started a company and has contributed lots of info here on the forum.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM

I'll aslo recommend Benvenuto Limousines for comparison shopping purposes. You can find them on the web and send them an e-mail. They'll quote you a rate per hour or offer you a tour rate.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

We just got back from a stay in Sorrento and used Francesco Marrapese. There were 5 of us and he gave us a per hour quote. We ended up choosing to spend 10 hours with him and really saw everything we wanted to see on the coast. He was knowledgeable, friendly, a great driver, and speaks English quite well. I recommend him highly. It was one of the best days of our trip. A friend of our had done a bus tour of the Amalfi Coast and said that he ended up motion sick for most of the day.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Since we're on the topic of transportation on the Amalfi Coast, I will add my question to this thread. My fiancee and I are going to Positano from April 25-30 (to get married!) and want to know how we might go about taking a boat excursion on that Thursday, April 27th (half-day). We also would like to take a boat from Positano to Salerno that Sunday morning, April 30th, to then catch the Eurostar to Rome.

What are our options given that the Metro del Mare appears to not begin service until May 7th? We would appreciate knowing about any private boat captains or companies that offer English-speaking services.

Thanks!

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM

At the town dock in Positano, there is a company called something like SALVATORE E GENNORA (?? help needed from other posters!) that has been recommended many times here on the forum. This company offers boat trips to Capri and, I think, to many of the private coves along the coast.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Thanks Weadles!

I can't find a website for them but will keep searching, and appreciate any other recommendations.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Wonderbar - There is a ferry service between Positano and Salerno, weather permitting.

Here's the link:

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

It currently still shows the 2005 timetable, but the service usually restarts about now.

For private boat excursions from Positano there are several options:

www.gennaroesalvatore.it
www.lucibello.it
www.bludream.it
www.bluestarpositano.it
www.cassiopea-positano.com
www.coopsantandrea.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks so much Steve, this information is very helpful. I have been to the Salernocity website and saw the 2005 schedule, too, but couldn't figure how to contact them about 2006 service. Thanks again!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Just go to the train station in Sorrento to buy the bus ticket to Positano and look for the big blue Sita bus. Very important to get there an hour early because the ride was jam-packed when I went. The ride was great and the return wasnt so full.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM

wonderbar,

Thankfully, Steve James listed the boat tour company I was trying to come up with in Positano. It is Gennaroesalvatore.it

Good luck!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:06 AM

hi all
I prefer sorrento is beautiful
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Hi all,

If you want organize a day trip by personal driver in amalfi coast i can recommend Luigi Ruggiero
www.sorrentoprivatedriver.com