Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in San Sebastian -- any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to be in San Sebastian for a long weekend in early June. We've never been before and would love to find out your favorite things to do and see, places to eat and drink. We're early 30s and like to have fun, eat good food, etc. We'll be staying at the Hotel Niza.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Lucky you! Our favorite activities in San Sebastian are eating, eating and eating. The tapas bars are incredible. Akelare is a good choice for a fancy meal with a view.

See www.maribelsguides.com for additional suggestions.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Neopolitan

I think my favorite thing in San Sebastian (other than the food, of course) was how all the Spanish get quite dressed up in the evenings and do their stroll along the waterfront for an hour or so before going to their late dinners. Join them.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I agree with Neapolitan.

Ginny
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Tapas at El gorriti.

Then perhaps more tapas at El gorriti.

Then waddle along the water (heading west) until you get the the Peine del Viento sculpture. Prepare to (literally) be blown away.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Great stuff. Really appreciate it. We're looking forward to eating tapas, trying the local drinks (some kind of white wine?) and people watching.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'll let you know how it all turns out after we get back. Just counting down the days!

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM

I can't give you any up-to-date tips, as my one and only trip to SS was in 1966. I did a six week summer course at the university and it turned out to be one of the two or three more sensible things I have done with my life.

All I can say is you will enjoy and you will return. Things may be a bit more expensive these days. Back then a red wine cost 1 peseta and the tapas were thrown in. But I can not imagine the lifestyle having changed. You simply must join in the evening paseo.

Harzer

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM

You are probably thinking of the local white wine, txakoli..light and fruity. You might want to check out the Mercado de la Brecha food market. I think you will be in for a great trip!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Neopolitan, I don't want to rustle a few feathers, but referring to a Basque as being "Spanish" may not go over very well in some areas of Euskal Herria. The first thing they are is Basque. Being a Spaniard is somewhere down the line, if at all, as least among some of our close friends and associates.

One more note. Tapas in the Basque Country are call "pintxos" and in San Sebastian-Donostia you'll find some of the best, including those at Ganbara where mushrooms are a specialty, and at Bar Tamboril. There is also Goiz Argui, Txepela, Astelena, La Cepa, Ormazabel, Martínez, La Viña, Casa Vergara, Bar Gambara and Borda Berri, all in the old city. If in doubt, just follow the crowd.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM

You may try a day trip to Bilboa, if you are "in to": the Guggenheium experience. It isn't that far, we made it there and back in half a day.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions. We will be sure to check them out.

Was it easy to get to Bilboa and the Guggenheim from St. Sebastian? Did you take a train? We won't have a car.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

You can take the bus between San Sebastian-Donostia and Bilbao. Once in Bilbao, the streetcar will take you close to the Guggenheim. Bilbao has at least 14 other museums you can visit, the Guggenheim is the best known.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM

The bus between San Sebastian and Bilbao is non-stop (except for traffic!) and runs frequently.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I just told my wife about our weekend get away to San Sebastian. It was supposed to be a surprise but I was getting too excited so I had to share. Now she's excited too!

Thanks for all your good advice. If anything else comes to mind, things to do see, eat, or day trips, please let us know.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:54 AM

We attended a Flamenco Dance performance; very entertaining and romantic. This was ten years ago so I am sorry I do not have any other details. It was outdoors and the atmosphere was just wonderful.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:55 AM

I also would recommend Akelare however I WOULD suggest you make reservations soon. They book up quickly! Here is their website http://www.akelarre.net/web/index.htm

My sweetie and I enjoyed wondering over by the bay and sitting outside for lunch and having the best bottle of rose I've ever tasted!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Hi As Marija said have a look at maribel guide for San Sebastian, and at this web www.donostia.org, for events, maps etc.

I live in San Sebastian and must say that a walk from Alderdi-Eder gardens (city hall) to Peine de los vientos is fantastic! (except for the rain, sometimes...)You can also take the old funicular near Peine de los vientos and go up to Monte Igueldo for stunning views of the city.

My recommendations for restaurant are:

Akelarre and Arzak, of course. These are the greatest in SS and some of the best in Spain. Besides them, I would recommend Restaurante Lanziego, just a few blocks from Hotel Niza in Calle Triunfo( 943.46.23.84 ), Restaurante La Perla in thalasso center(www.la-perla.net), just a few steps from the hotel, with great wiews of La Concha Bay. In the old part, Casa Urola in Fermin Calbetón st, and Restaurante Astelehena in Calle Euskal Herria, (tel. 943425867). To have a drink at night my favourites are Picachilla just in front of Kursaal Congress Palace-Zurriola st, Bar Kai in Juan de Bilbao st.-old Town, Colchoneria de San Vicente in one side of the S. Vicente Church-Old Town.

Hope this helps but if you need more info feel free to ask!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you all for being so generous with your suggestions.

Cristina: thank you very much for your suggestions and offer to help. How lucky you must be to live in San Sebastian. We are looking forward to our long weekend and counting down the days!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:48 AM

You´re welcome!Hope you enjoy your visit!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Akalarre sounds great. Would it be best for lunch or dinner?

Also, any recommendations for a Sunday night birthday dinner? (Akalarre is closed Sun. nights in May)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -