Search

sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorrento

hi. we are thinking ok staying in sorrento for a week in july and we were wondering if anywhere in sorrento run day tours to rome or other places or would we be better off making our own way about? is it easy enough to reach sorrento from naples airport? thank you
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure how to reach Sorrento from Naples airport but it's an hour from the train station to Sorrento by commuter train.

We took it on two trips but it's not a class way to travel. Not air-conditioned and the part of the station (basement) is not very inviting. It's a commuter train and you have to be careful to make sure you take the correct one.

Another option from Naples is to go to the Marina and take a hydrofoil. Much more expensive and I'm sure don't go every few minutes.

Having said that, Sorrento is an excellent town for being in (store, restaurants, etc) as well as getting to other places; 30 minutes or so to Capri, 30 minutes back to Pompeii, the Amalfi bus ride or boats to Positano, etc.

However, I'm not sure if I'd daytrip to Rome. It's one hour to Naples and then 2 hours by Eurostar train to Rome.

A day trip to Rome doesn't do much either. While I'm a believer in 'do what you can in the time you have', one day less travel time doesn't leave much for a city like Rome.

While some would disagree, if I got to Rome in the evening, stayed the whole day and then got up the next morning to leave (one complete day), I could lay out a plan of seeing most of the sights of Rome that would be enjoyable and not too rushed (if you are walkers). Of course, museums are out.

If all you have is a week (7 days), depending upon where you're leaving from I would go to Rome for a couple of days and then Sorrento (if leaving from Naples) or the other way around if leaving from Rome.

Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:20 PM
ira

Hi

A previous message offered this website for the Naples airport/Sorrento bus.

Message: There is a shuttle from Sorrento to Naples airport. Check http://www.ilnido.it/from_capodichin...rt_in_napl.htm for shedule. Double check shedule this link may be old.

I would also recommend a daytrip to Rome. You could have a nice day in Naples, though.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:39 PM

There is a bus which leaves directly from the Naples airport arrivals terminal to Piazza Tasso in Sorento. The website is:
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/default.htm
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:35 AM
ira

OOPS,

That should be "I would *not* recommend a daytrip to Rome".
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Sorrento is a great location to tour around the Amalfi coast. We stayed at a great hotel called the Bellevue Serene that had wonderful views of the Bay of Naples and was walking distance to the jet boat to Capri. It's a comfortable walking town as well. We flew into FCO/Rome airport and spent a couple of days there touring the Vatican and the sites with an excellent tour company Vatican Tours & Beyond and then drove down to Sorrento and stayed a week.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are several tourist agencies in Sorrento where you can book tours and train/bus tickets. Just stop in one and ask when you get there. Another option would be to take the Marozzi bus which leaves Piazza Tasso in Sorrento at 6am and arrives Rome Tiburtina station at 10 am. From the Tiburtina station you can get on the metro(4 stops to Termini) or catch a bus to whatever part of Rome you want to visit. You would probably have to catch a train back to Naples that night(2 hours) and switch to the Circumvesuviana train(45 minutes) on to Sorrento.