travel from rome to sorrento

Old May 26th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel from rome to sorrento

hi, first time in italy, flying into rome, looking to stay in sorrento and travel to capri, amalfi, and positano. anyone have suggestions on best way to travel. trains? busses? names of stations? ferries? etc. all i have so far is flights into rome. also looking at best western hotels has anyone used them? would really appreciate any input possible
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Rail: rome termini or tiburtina to Naples Centrale, then switch to CircumVeuviana train (in basement of Naples Centrale station) that goes to and ends at Sorrento.
Once in Sorrento buses ply the dramatic Amalfi Coast and boats go often to Capri, Ischia and other islands. And you can take the CircmVesuviana train to nearby Pompeii from Sorrento.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been discussed quite recently. If you search on the phrase Rome to Sorrento you should find the thread. A lot depends on a) how much you wish to spend, b) how much luggage you have c) how comfortable you feel on public transport.

If it were me I would be inclined to take the train from the Airport to Rome Termini, then the high speed train to Naples, then the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento (because you are just moving between levels at the main Naples station).
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Take the train from Rome to Naples (I suggest you make a seat reservation if you are bothered about sitting down) and connect at Naples to the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. Both trains are at the same station in Naples, just go downstairs to get the circumvesuviana.

Carolena
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
ira

ttt